MOD: The Balancer

In what way exactly doe sit change the game? I understood that it adds lots of stuff and balnces the game, but in what ways? The readme wasn't clear enough for me to read it (translation: I'm a lazy bum). Please explain what kind of things it adds.

Do you mean, exactly what each addition brings to the table? Like a Royal Academy adds a 50% science bonus and is only buildable in a Monarchy? Is that the kind of detail you are looking for?

Konnichiwa!

i have some major problems :(
my game shut down every time and return to windows

i use civ 1.17f and mod 2.11A full

Yeah, that is basically what I mean... You don't have to list absolutely everything, just the highlights... I have three specific questions:
1. Is it possible to install the mod and still be able to play normally?
2. Are the govs better balanced in the mod? (I suppose they are, considering this is one of the most known imbalance problems in the game, and this mod is supposed to balance stuff)
3. Are there any added govs, resources (strat and lux), or factions?
Thank you for being so responsive...

Well here is what I have.

1) There are people who use this mod as a scenario so that they can do just what you say. As far as I know the only side effect is that the science advisor screen comes out a little hard to read.

2) I call the governments balanced. We haven't received much feedback in this area, so we are assuming that to mean all is well with them.

3) There are a few new ones as well. The main problem with adding more governments is the inability to differentiate them. We have added Fascism, City State, and Theocracy. We have also moved the other goverments around some and made some changes to those. Added factions...in the future we would like to add this, as far as I know now there is a problem with adding them. There are new resources, albeit not many. A problem with these is the way the program handles the icons from the PCX file, so we had to limit how many we added to the game.

One of our biggest goals is to make the game more interesting, while maintaining the level of balance we have achieved thus far. We are currently working on a new combat model based on the given combat formula. Another area we have been experimenting with is the terrain values. We would like to make those more well defined. If there are any other questions we can answer for you, please ask away.

Okay, I have just one final question: Is this mod fully playable while leaving it possiblt to play the normal game? This is basically what's going to determine wether I download it or not....

Shadowflame,

from my understanding this mod is playable as a separate scenario. the only issue you may run into, and this is something you will have to deal with any time you play a mod as a scenario, is the tech tree. If you play the mod as a scenario the tech tree will not have the easy to follow arrows that you would see if you played it as the default rules. Instead there will be the scenario tree branches, that while generally pointing in the right direction, can be a tad confusing the first time you use it. Of course the same can be said if you play using the unmodified tree in scenario, so there is nothing modders can do to prevent this.

download it and try it out. :goodjob: I'm sure elucidus would love to hear your critique.:D

Shadowflame,

That was what number one in my last post was supposed to answer. Sorry if I didn't phrase it right. I've been busy lately and have been having a hard time concentrating on things.

Kal-el put in in a much better way. Thank you, Kal-el.

If you do decide to try it, we would love to hear feedback. And I hope you enjot it. If you decide not to try it out, then maybe Korn or the LWC's mod will be more to your liking. Either way, enjoy.

You can get 2.11B here.

2.11B basically is a few fixes. It is just a patch update so no need to downoad the multiple meg file just for that. I am looking at releasing 2.12, which adds a couple of early naval units, but I am trying to finish up one of the animations for it first.

I am now in the middle of downloading the multimeg .zip file (56K modem :rolleyes: ).
Oops, I hadn't noticed that I asked that question already... nvm...
Anyhow, you can expect feedback soon...
BTW, in what kind of map do you recommend using the mod?

I recommend using my map a link for which you can find below.:D

(shameless plug)

It is an earth map that used Marla's map as a skeleton but then was thoroughly reworked. I have several images posted there. You can see an image of all of North America, All of Europe and North Africa and an Image of the remodeled Japan. It is the prettiest map on the boards. IMHO ;)

Umm... I have run into a problem (might be cause I'm not really a big mod user). When I extract the .zip files, it asks me to replace files, now I just wanted to know wether any of these will change the way I play the normal game (albeit not with the mod) and wethere I can play tha mod as a scenario without replacing files.
Thanks.

There are other who play this game as a scenario. So I am not exactly sure of how they do it. If you extract everything except the BIC to the default location and unzip the bic to the scenarios folder than that should allow you to play both without problem. The civilopedia will contain the added entries from the mod when you are playing the normal game, but other than that, I don't think you will have a problem. Let me know if you do and I'll see what I can do for you. I hope you enjoy it.

Konnichiwa!

i think i have a problem with the pics and animations from your strike-fighter

if i try to upgrade my bomber or build it (use the dropdown after a build before) and then enter the city my game drop down to windows

As far as the icon problem I did not have one. It worked fine, maybe it is another issue. I'll keep looking.

Currently we are working on the combat balancing act, so we haven't had time to work on the graphics much lately.

We are testing the new combat values to see what kind of results we get regularly. Will keep everyone posted. Unfortunately my webmaster has gone AWOL and so the news page is out of date. Please come to either this post or the CivFanatics post for news updates until further notice.

Another piece of news is that we would like to welcome Desert Dog to the team. He has been helping extensively with the testing as well as helping us come up with new and exciting ways of doing business. He has been a great asset and I just wanted to publicly welcome him.

There was a problem with the strike fighter's ini file. We got the problem worked out. The ini file in my directory didn't match the one in the zip file. Here is the correct one. Sorry about the problems.

EDIT: Oh yeah, just unzip into your art/units/strike fighter/

directory.

Konnichiwa!

it seems that the link is a little bit wrong, i can not DL it

Sheena,

It isn't a link. It is a file I uploaded to CivFanatics. Try going to Apolyton here and trying to download it from there. If you can't get it by the time I get home from work, I can email it to you. Sorry about the problems.

Top Bottom