Play it in android!

raen

Coat of Arms
Folks, let's open the wild modding of civ1 again!

I found a solution to play Civ 1 on my android smartphone, the real deal, no remakes, the real one! I just play it in the subway, did that just yesterday!

You first download doxbox app for android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fishstix.dosboxfree&hl=en

The "Next app" is the keyboard, you will need the directions, including page down and such:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.inputmethod.latin&hl=en

You put your game folder in the Downloads folder of your android phone.

Touch substitutes mouse but put the mouse in absolute tracking (default is relative which doesn't work with civ1 very well)

Enjoy :cool:

Last edited:
Some Screen Shots :)

Attachments

• Civ1AndroidScreen1.jpg
    Civ1AndroidScreen1.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 910
  • Civ1AndroidScreen2.jpg
    Civ1AndroidScreen2.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 859
Thanks raen, good guide! I have it setup in my Nexus 7 Android device. However I am primarily an iOS user, so I have DosBox setup on my iPhone and iPad too. Maybe I should write a guide like yours.

Civ1 is great to play while travelling :_

Yes, very good for traveling, especially long distances :)

I shared this with some friends and most of them also said: "I am more of an IOS user".

I know about the emulator for IOS but i cannot try it so we need you to say how it works, so be my guest.

For me the keyboard was determinant, because doxbox was there for some time for android but always been said that you need extra control, which doesn't work for me, to play with an extra control I play it at home right? Mobile is supposed to be portable.

So in IOS dosbox you have page up/page down, or do you don't need to?

Last edited:
I've been using iDOS 2 on iPad for a while, I don't know if it's always on sale, so I might have been lucky to get it but I used that along with a tool to coy the game data over. It works well and while the keyboard is limit d, there is access to a right mouse button for diagonal movement.

I can try to provide details on the app I copied data to iDOS 2 in if needed, but I think I found it all in Google last time.

Screenshots for reference: http://m.imgur.com/gGKjzee,jmyMthB

I've been using iDOS 2 on iPad for a while, I don't know if it's always on sale, so I might have been lucky to get it but I used that along with a tool to coy the game data over. It works well and while the keyboard is limit d, there is access to a right mouse button for diagonal movement.

I can try to provide details on the app I copied data to iDOS 2 in if needed, but I think I found it all in Google least time.

Screenshots for reference: http://m.imgur.com/gGKjzee,jmyMthB

How do you use right mouse button with iphone?

How do you use right mouse button with iphone?

Apologies for not being clear, just thought I'd post whilst I was on iPad, but spelling mistakes and not explaining things well seems like might not have been worth it!

You can trigger a right mouse button using the [L] and [R] buttons shown on the right-hand side of the PC screen view, but also tapping near the top of the screen shows a menu which allows an overlay for the mouse buttons but also a full-size keyboard. More screenshots showing this:

http://imgur.com/Li7pCFd,fmbu8RM,wlnfjzf

Apologies for not being clear, just thought I'd post whilst I was on iPad, but spelling mistakes and not explaining things well seems like might not have been worth it!

You can trigger a right mouse button using the [L] and [R] buttons shown on the right-hand side of the PC screen view, but also tapping near the top of the screen shows a menu which allows an overlay for the mouse buttons but also a full-size keyboard. More screenshots showing this:

http://imgur.com/Li7pCFd,fmbu8RM,wlnfjzf

No problem, I am looking especially for iPhone because is more portable (you can play only with one hand )

So if I understood well, doxbox for IOS already brings a full-size keyboard? or is the IPAD that has it by default?

Last edited:
No problem, I am looking specially for Iphone because is more portable (you can play only with one hand )

So if I understood well, doxbox for IOS already brings a full-size keyboard? or is the IPAD that have it by default?

Ahhh, I haven't tested on iPhone (don't have one to test on unfortunately), this is indeed only iPad so far. I guess that means more investigation is required! Anyone with an iPhone able to test (assuming iDOS is still available on the App Store...)?

Ahhh, I haven't tested on iPhone (don't have one to test on unfortunately), this is indeed only iPad so far. I guess that means more investigation is required! Anyone with an iPhone able to test (assuming iDOS is still available on the App Store...)?

Seems so: IDOS 2

It's still in the store but you can no longer get files into it, therefor cannot play Civ (unless you installed Civ before the feature was removed).

The method I use is slightly more complicated, which involves compiling the app myself and loading it on the phone. This is why I considered writing a guide.

As for keyboard, the iPhone version does not have a full size keyboard but you can use Pg Up & Down etc for diagonal movement.

Apologies if I'm providing redundant info, but I've found a site that provides a DOSBox wrapper allowing you to play Civ 1 on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10 (or Mac). To avoid copyright/pirating concerns he mails you an original copy of the game along with a new CD that contains a copy plus the wrapper. (I saw the Forum rules post about linking to abandonware sites---this looks on the up and up to me and has a lot of games that gog.com does not.) It's http://www.allvideoclassicgames.com/

I bought Civ 1 for my brother, who has run it without problems under Win 10. I bought myself copies of Civil War Generals 1 and 2 and have run them under Win 7. There can be issues with window sizing but the guy is great about support and just sends you a new config file. He also has Civ 2. I didn't see Civ 3 but you could certainly ask about it. (I'm a Civ IV junkie now. You really should try it if you haven't. Civ V, not so much.)

I've been looking for a way to play these old games for years without any luck until sort of stumbling across this site on Ebay--I was actually looking for an old computer running Win 95, I was so desperate! Again, apologies if I'm doing anything inappropriate in pointing to that site but I'm really paranoid and feel comfortable doing so. If you all agree, then it would be great if someone could post the info on the Civ 1 downloads page under "Where can I buy Civ1?" And feel free to move this post if there's a better place.

FYI, here's an email exchange I had with the guy:

So​, why aren't there more places like you? I came across gog.com
and found a couple shady-looking sites online while looking for some
way to resurrect CWG, but why don't the original companies update
their products? The hard work of the core game coding is already done.
Sure, the market may be small but it seems like very little work to make
some more money.

The why is easy -- the amount of tech support I do is extreme, and it doesn't scale to a large organization like GOG. My customers are buying my guarantee above all and my experience with getting these games to work. As for why the companies don't update their own games, I think it's a matter of copyright and resources. Who owns CWG these days? Is it Sierra, Impressions, or Vivendi Universal? Also, if they have 3 games in development, at a cost of several million each, would it make sense to devote resources to a huge ROI or take a chance with a 90s era game?

Still playing civ1 on Android :)

With family and work when/where to play CIV?

In the Subway, train or any travel. No more dull moments :D

25 years of civ1 and I think I will play it more than civ 6 or 4 :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom