CivWin 1.2.0 - where's the "Buy" button on the city screen???

r00tb33r

Chieftain
Have to admit, I do play me some Civ1 once in a couple years and this time I decided to change things up a bit and play the Windows version. I got me CivWin 1.2.0... It's a little rough around the edges but fun nevertheless.

My question: Where's the "Buy" button for city improvement on the city screen? I can select improvements but if I want it finished by the next turn and pay money for it... How?

Regarding this version:
I definitely like the higher resolution terrain, and perhaps the fact that it's not isometric like Civ2.
Unit icons are pretty bad. I suppose these can be "modded" like I've seen for Civ2...?
All other game graphics were upscaled and anti-aliased from the DOS version, but very poorly. Looks very tacky, I'd honestly prefer they left them pixelated from the DOS version, would look cleaner.

I run it on Win98SE inside VirtualBox if anyone is curious. Will probably run OK inside DosBox Win3.1 if you configure graphics and sound drivers properly.

The menu at the top of the screen. Drop down the one for cities, and "Buy Improvement" is on the list. The terrain graphics are one part where i like CivWin better than CivDOS. Thanks for the tip on Win3.1... was searching for my Civ install disc recently, to try CivDOS for the first time this century (didn't find it, again). But did find my Win3.1 install diskettes, so that may be worth a try in DOSBox. Am playing on the XP VPC, and though CivWin worked fine on native XP, it plays slower than a wounded mollusc on the VPC's XP. Have a fantastic W95 machine, just don't have the table space to set it up.

I noticed a rather advantageously unfair bug in this version. I don't remember seeing it in the DOS version. Savegames apparently don't store which units already moved in a given turn, and how many moves are left. So saving and loading a game can result in a unit moving more than once in a turn.

The bug exists in DOS Civ too, but it is a bit trickier to exploit there. It only works if you load the game from one of the autosave slots, meaning you need to manually rename the save files in the directory before loading.

I noticed a rather advantageously unfair bug in this version. I don't remember seeing it in the DOS version. Savegames apparently don't store which units already moved in a given turn, and how many moves are left. So saving and loading a game can result in a unit moving more than once in a turn.

Also, opening a saved game adds one to every Settler's "work counter". Tell a Settler to make a road, save-quit-open-save-quit-open, and the road is done. I don't use this as a cheat, but sometimes get surprised when a RR or mining operation is finished faster than expected, then remember "oh yeah, I started that job before saving the game last night."

Not such a great thing to exploit, anyway, since city improvements, unit builds and Wonders do not proceed apace, so you'd end up with a landscape all dressed up and nothing to do on it. I DO save-restart when i lose an absurdly unfair battle (i.e. one Militia kills my stack of Knights), but this often screws up my pre-planned timing, for example, if i want a Settler to found a city and free up some wheat but only after it's home city finishes the Granary. In that case, either the Settler sits idle or i have to monkey around in the cityview screen to hold the place back from popping too soon.

The extra moves and extra Settlerwork are just as likely to throw off my plans as enhance them.

Top Bottom