CPU Lag on Huge and Large Maps

TERATOGEN

Chieftain
In BNW once I get majority of the cities on huge or large (Domination) maps the CPU lag makes game almost unplayable. Once, I agreed to a peace proposal and AI gave me 5 cities for it. That left my PC for 10-15 minutes frozen until everything was calculated and game resumed. After that, even to move a bomber from one city to another required a few seconds delay.

My question is can I get a better CPU and that will be fixed or is this a programming/optimization issue?

Also has anybody finished huge/large domination map in BNW without crazy CPU lag? If yes, please post your PC specs.

FYI Before BNW my PC had no issue finishing any huge domination maps.

Thank you

Tera

Well, I've noticed that it takes much more time to finish a late-game turn even on emperor. I'm about to increase difficulty of my games and it won't go smootly, I'm afraid. And I stick to large maps, don't play huge ones.

I've got the i5 3550 processor so even though it's not the best cpu ever, it's a decent enough chip. You certainly could get yourself the latest i7 and overclock it to 4,5GHz but if you play on high difficulty and on huge maps, you're still going to have issues, methinks.

You are not providing any details about your rig, though. Insufficient amount of RAM might be problematic as well.

I play almost solely on huge maps. Late game does lag but not as bad as G&K used to actually.

Laptop - I5 3340 @ 2.7ghz, 8192 mb ram

I have an i5 processor and 8gb RAM, which gives me turn times I find acceptable, though can still be lengthy. Not much to say without your specs, though.

When I was playing GnK, I noticed that the longest period of waiting was for processing the barbarians turn , even if the option "no barbarians" was selected. In BNW, this has not been a problem.

Oh my god, never overclock please...Overclocking makes your CPU last 2 years...Instead of 20, Turn down settings, run in Direct 10x or higher. Update Graphics card, if you only have a CHIP graphic card, that is your problem. Since you did not post your specs no one can really help you.

Anecdotally, my friends and I have noticed BNW turns taking longer to process and our machines range from "decentPC that needs new video card" to "blazing gaming laptop/PC".

Oh my god, never overclock please...Overclocking makes your CPU last 2 years...Instead of 20, Turn down settings, run in Direct 10x or higher. Update Graphics card, if you only have a CHIP graphic card, that is your problem. Since you did not post your specs no one can really help you.

How's that Pentium I P5 workin' out for ya?

Anecdotally, my friends and I have noticed BNW turns taking longer to process and our machines range from "decentPC that needs new video card" to "blazing gaming laptop/PC".

Starting playing this game back during Christmas. i5 Ivy @ 4.0ghz, GTX 670 FTW, 8gb RAM, and the turns start to become lengthy around the start of the Renaissance Era on large maps. Since I've bought BNW, Civ5 has actually crashed on me twice in my recent game in between turns. I think it's just the game's engine.

When I was playing GnK, I noticed that the longest period of waiting was for processing the barbarians turn , even if the option "no barbarians" was selected. In BNW, this has not been a problem.

That's a misleading message. In reality it's actually processing/calculating your stuff.

Top Bottom