Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Yeah. I'm expanding my budget. I now want an SSD OS drive and a good resolution. 6-8gb ram. and a good processor.

I'm combing through everything on tigerdirect.ca right now to see if I can find something.

I found this, but it has integrated graphics and a smaller display.

I just have no idea what sort of SSD to get for whichever laptop I choose, if the mobo would even support it, what kind I'd need, if it'd fit physically, etc.

The above helps clear a lot of that up though, thanks!

If I found a good laptop already preloaded with an SSD, I would just rather get that.. Less hassle, etc. Or are you saying there might be downsides to that?

Afraid so. A little research is advisable either way: some vendors sell seemingly identical products at identical prices with SSDs that differ quite a bit in performance.

If you're looking for decent screen resolution, check out Lenovo's Thinkpads. There's a 14" model with 1600x900 available for roughly $650 IIRC. Bought one for my mum, used it a bit, it's not bad.

Would my warranty be voided if I replace the HDD with a SSD? Depends on the brand I'm guessing?

Doubtful, you generally don't have to crack the warranty seal to swap drives/battery/memory.

I recently won a free laptop with a HDD/cache SSD, I'm keeping the HDD until the warranty expires (just to take advantage of possible warranty replacement, not because of voiding the warranty in general), after which I'll rip it out and replace it with a SSD.

If you're looking for decent screen resolution, check out Lenovo's Thinkpads. There's a 14" model with 1600x900 available for roughly $650 IIRC. Bought one for my mum, used it a bit, it's not bad.

They're too expensive in Canada.

Definitely paying for Ultrabook premium though.

edit: oh and touchscreen gimmick

Would my warranty be voided if I replace the HDD with a SSD? Depends on the brand I'm guessing?

You got two opposing answers to this, So I'll offer a tie breaker of sorts. It would not void the warranty on the drive, but it would probably void the warranty or insurance on the prebuilt system. Unless its a laptop, then you're fine.

I wouldn't worry about it though. Everything except the harddrive tends to outlive its warranty, or die by uncovered causes..

My graphics card crapped out . A few months ago I installed because my previous one also died (Ati HD3870). The one I have now is a Nvidia 8800GT that a friend had lying around.

Can you help me recommend a graphics card? I'm looking for one that's not too expensive (I'm on a budget) and at least be able to match my previous card performance wise.

My motherboard has one x16 PCI-e slot.

Top Bottom