[SDK] Air Strikes and Best Defenders

I would like to modify the way damage is applied to ships during air attacks. Specifically, I want to make carriers and battleships the prime targets of bombardment, since they are more vulnerable due to their slower speed and larger size, and more important than their protecting screens.

My inspiration for this is the naval air battles of World War II, in which planes launched from carriers could significantly damage or destroy capital ships even when they were in large flotillas. Currently, when you group them in large stacks with dozens of supporting destroyers and cruisers, it is very hard to do a lot of damage with planes unless you have ridiculous numbers.

The ideal way to do this, I think, is to make carriers and battleships the main targets in C++. This would be accomplished by changing the GetBestDefender function to return BBs and CVs first if they are in a target plot. That way, air strikes focus on eliminating the opposing capital ships.

Alternatively, you could give the player a list of targets from which he can select which unit to attack. The downside to this is that it requires additional code to make the AI use it, and it increases micromanagement. You don't always want to have to pick individual units, particularly during attacks with grouped aircraft.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about doing this?

Top Bottom