Native American Civ Poll

Which Native American civ would you want next?

• Total voters
Yeah, I found that out later. I think I posted that too, or at least I meant to. Either way, they both have zero votes, which is a little funny. Where did you get the Popé icon? I've seen some people with custom leader icons, and I was wondering how you get them.

Are you talking about how the icons are made or how to set them as an avatar?

If the first, I made the icon using Photoshop from the leaderscreen I'm using. (I just found a good leaderscreen on the Internet that I'm going to use. In fact, here it is.) However, if you are talking about the professional looking icons, ask JanBoruta or Leugi. They, I think, make them from near scratch.

If the second, press "My Account" > "Edit Avatar" > insert your URL or upload it from your computer > press "Save Changes".

The thread maker apparently didn't know that the Musokgee and Creek are the same tribe.

To give the Muskogee some love, here's what I have in mind for them:

The Muskogee Nation
Leader: Talof Harjo (Pleasant Porter)
Capital: Coosa
Unique Ability: Green Corn Ceremony -- All :c5food:-producing tiles provide +1 :c5food: and +1 :c5culture: and suffer no Diplomatic penalties during Golden Age.
Unique Building: Stomp Dance Ground (Opera House) -- +2 :c5happy: with Muskogee Music.
Unique Unit: Red Stick (Musketman) -- Much cheaper, but has a chance of turning into a Barbarian unit after a Peace Treaty is signed.

Are you talking about how the icons are made or how to set them as an avatar?

If the first, I made the icon using Photoshop from the leaderscreen I'm using. (I just found a good leaderscreen on the Internet that I'm going to use. In fact, here it is.) However, if you are talking about the professional looking icons, ask JanBoruta or Leugi. They, I think, make them from near scratch.

If the second, press "My Account" > "Edit Avatar" > insert your URL or upload it from your computer > press "Save Changes".

Thanks. :)

Could you describe them for us? I've heard of the Chimu, but I onow nothing about them, and I've never even heard of the Purhepecha.

I actually posted a Chimu civ, there's lots of info in the pedia entries :)

The Purhepecha were native to central Michoacán, although their influence can be seen in modern city names in Mexico with the ending "-aro." They were rivals of the Aztecs, and both empires had a number of outposts along their long border. The Purhepecha were just discovering bronze when the Spanish arrived, although they had been using metal weapons superior to those of the Aztecs for some time.

They spoke a language isolate, and had distinctively round pyramids, unique to Mesoamerica. They were distinct from the earlier Teuchitlan and Shaft Tomb cultures, although they did borrow some artistic conventions. They were also known as the "Tarascan" Empire, but the name has fallen out of favor among anthropologists, afaik.

There's a good bit of info on Wikipedia for both civs, if you're interested.

I actually posted a Chimu civ, there's lots of info in the pedia entries :)

The Purhepecha were native to central Michoacán, although their influence can be seen in modern city names in Mexico with the ending "-aro." They were rivals of the Aztecs, and both empires had a number of outposts along their long border. The Purhepecha were just discovering bronze when the Spanish arrived, although they had been using metal weapons superior to those of the Aztecs for some time.

They spoke a language isolate, and had distinctively round pyramids, unique to Mesoamerica. They were distinct from the earlier Teuchitlan and Shaft Tomb cultures, although they did borrow some artistic conventions. They were also known as the "Tarascan" Empire, but the name has fallen out of favor among anthropologists, afaik.

There's a good bit of info on Wikipedia for both civs, if you're interested.

Tarrascans would be interesting, but there are much more influential civs even in the Mexican basin :) Teotihuacan was an awesome civ, really strutting it's stuff, there are arguments it had an empire stretching down to honduras, it certainly had some pull over the Mayan city states. The Toltecs were another bunch of awesome dudes i can recommend.

Muisca would be awesome, they were mega rich with gold, and there would be NOTHING cooler than seeing a leader screen appear with a guy covered in gold dust standing in front of a lake.

Mississippians deserve a shout out too. Anyone know about the Louisiana purchase? Well their civilization stretched beyond it. That's a pretty huge area of influence. Also called the mound builders. Often thought to be centred around Cahokia, largest city in north america (excluding meso-america) and on even terms with western europeans cities at its height and they had a really funky meso-american/north america culture crossover. Would be an immense civ for a wide culture/tourism game. That's literally how the won north america.

There's loads more civs in South America too, and i think that desperately needs more representation. Muisca would be my starting point (firaxis say they start with leaders, so el dorado would be an amazingly iconic leader for them), but the chachapoya would be really cool too. The Chavin would be INCREDIBLE but unfortunately we dont know enough about them. Also a shout out to the Nazca and Moche, they have some really cool stuff.

Leugi is actually working on some Andean civs like the Muisca, and I have some in my Andes mod that I'll probably pool with his mod.

You'd be surprised at what archeologists know ;) Just got a textbook in on the Tiwanaku valley, which apparently is packed with prehistoric sites.

Leugi is actually working on some Andean civs like the Muisca, and I have some in my Andes mod that I'll probably pool with his mod.

You'd be surprised at what archeologists know ;) Just got a textbook in on the Tiwanaku valley, which apparently is packed with prehistoric sites.

I don't think i would be, but then i'm training to be one ;)

Tiwanaku is another great one! Chavin is unfortunately very difficult at least in terms of translating it into a civ V civilization :/

People say the mississippians would be difficult too, but i could make one with all the suitable characteristics needed. The leader would have to be called "Birdman", since we don't know the actual names of any of their leaders, but really it's just an anglicised representation of the word is his language that represents him anyway. It's only a problem in terms of "immersion" in a similar manner to the spanish names for Mayan cities. Not ideal, but I think i could deal with it to play with them :D :goodjob:

I don't think i would be, but then i'm training to be one ;)

Tiwanaku is another great one! Chavin is unfortunately very difficult at least in terms of translating it into a civ V civilization :/

People say the mississippians would be difficult too, but i could make one with all the suitable characteristics needed. The leader would have to be called "Birdman", since we don't know the actual names of any of their leaders, but really it's just an anglicised representation of the word is his language that represents him anyway. It's only a problem in terms of "immersion" in a similar manner to the spanish names for Mayan cities. Not ideal, but I think i could deal with it to play with them :D :goodjob:

Did Chavin had other settlements than Chavin de Huantar?
Huari/Wari is a good militaristic counterpart to Tiwanaku, but I don't think we know their leaders.

Mississippians could have Tuskaloosa as leader or Cofitachequi

Yep. There's a couple of sites in the Nepena Valley. Don't know the names though. There are certainly others, but it's important not to conflate Chavin sites with those of more local civs, like the Moxeke polity.

Huari/Wari is a good militaristic counterpart to Tiwanaku, but I don't think we know their leaders.

Mississippians could have Tuskaloosa as leader or Cofitachequi

I don't get on with the idea of Tuskaloosa as a leader for a Mississippian civ too well. To me it seems all too much like a Mexican president leading Spain. Or even a Hungarian king leading England. The Mississippians were a large cultural group with several polities within it. If they wanna do it right and do them justice they have to pick a way of representing them and stick to it. Of course, Tuskaloose being more well known and not having a name like "birdman" would likely get the shout over him because that is how civ works, but it would be butchering their history.

We don't really know a great deal about the link between the Cahokia empire, which was the most successful state/chiefdom of the mississippians, and later chiefdoms like the one lead by Tuskaloosa. What we do know is that the Cahokia state had collapsed before the time of Tuskaloosa. What we also know is that we have found a leader of the Cahokia state buried there. What we don't know is his name, so he has been called "birdman" because he was buried with a large amount of valuable feathers.

One of the recurring problems with native american states is these unknown variables and the compromises that have to be made to include them. Some of these civs have some amazing history that could provide really different gameplay, so i can accept compromises like Tuskaloosa if it means we get to see them in game one day :) After all, the idea of a leader directing everything in a civ is absurd anyway, so it's an inaccurate representation of every civ made thus far. :goodjob:

I don't get on with the idea of Tuskaloosa as a leader for a Mississippian civ too well. To me it seems all too much like a Mexican president leading Spain. Or even a Hungarian king leading England. The Mississippians were a large cultural group with several polities within it. If they wanna do it right and do them justice they have to pick a way of representing them and stick to it. Of course, Tuskaloose being more well known and not having a name like "birdman" would likely get the shout over him because that is how civ works, but it would be butchering their history.

We don't really know a great deal about the link between the Cahokia empire, which was the most successful state/chiefdom of the mississippians, and later chiefdoms like the one lead by Tuskaloosa. What we do know is that the Cahokia state had collapsed before the time of Tuskaloosa. What we also know is that we have found a leader of the Cahokia state buried there. What we don't know is his name, so he has been called "birdman" because he was buried with a large amount of valuable feathers.

One of the recurring problems with native american states is these unknown variables and the compromises that have to be made to include them. Some of these civs have some amazing history that could provide really different gameplay, so i can accept compromises like Tuskaloosa if it means we get to see them in game one day :) After all, the idea of a leader directing everything in a civ is absurd anyway, so it's an inaccurate representation of every civ made thus far. :goodjob:

The Mississippians were a bunch of different cultures, not just one group speaking a single language. Cahokia's builders are unknown. Later chiefdoms like that of Coosa, Cofitachequi, are definitely descended from Mississippian cultures. If Birdman is the leader, we would not know what language he could speak, definitely not Cherokee (they came down south after the Mississippian period), perhaps Siouan, Algonquian, or even Muskogean, or a completely unknown language lost to history. With Tuskaloosa, he could speak a Muskogean language like Choctaw (it's very healthy, so speakers should be no problem)

I don't get on with the idea of Tuskaloosa as a leader for a Mississippian civ too well. To me it seems all too much like a Mexican president leading Spain. Or even a Hungarian king leading England.

It's more like having Kamehameha as the leader of the Polynesians or Boudicca as the leader of the Celts. The Mississippians would need to be a blob-Civ like those two, so it's a matter of picking a representative leader of the overall cultural complex than getting specific about things. Personally though, I'd prefer if Cahokia remained a City-State and the "Mississippians" were technically the Southern Appalachian Mississippians, which would narrow the focus a bit more and make people like Tuskaloosa, Cofitachequi, and Quigualtam more reasonable leaders to choose.

I would like to create a poll for African, European, Asian (perhaps split it into Middle Eastern and the rest of Asia), and even maybe an Oceania poll.

Top Bottom