Dwarves design

why cant we make it damage both?

Because it really doesn't make sense that an exploding flame cannon will damage the entire enemy army. And the cannon backfiring as its destroyed is supposed to be a penalty, not a valuable retributive strike.

Technological weapons that explode doing damage massive damage in a huge radius just isn't very dwarven. Ork or chaotic, sure. But it just doesn't really fit here.

And I'm not sure it passes the "does this make sense" test. Is a cannon blowing up really going to damage more than other units in the same artillery battery and their crew?

't was only a joke gentlemen. :p

exploding dwarves are irrelevant. Just forget about it for now. Maybe someone come up with it again later, but for now I think we can do without it. :)

While this is way, old, I would like to hear how the developement of dvarves has taken you.
What is the current list of units and ideas?
Also, I have a sugjestion. While I am apsolutely against what I heard about splitting dwarven workers into diferent types (miners, farmers, what ever) I would like to see them have some sort of hury production mechanic. Similar to what slaves have now. Heck, if a slave can go into a city to hury production on a building, why can't a trained dwarven engener-worker go in, lend his intelligence and skill to the planing and developement to make it go faster? (adding hammers in the proces)

The first post is up to date with the current design as far as I remember.

As you say, I see no purpose in splitting workers into multiple categories (AI is already very bad at building improvements).
I'm also somewhat leery of dwarven workers being sacrificed to hurry things faster. With the slaves, you're working them to death for faster building production, but that isn't really very dwarven.

Dwarven engineering is implied by higher hammer yields from their forges, their tendency towards the clansmanship civic that boosts mine yields, and the faster work rate of their workers. I don't see why their worker unit (particularly if its a roving mining party) needs to have abilities that work in the cities.

We're thinking of reworking slaves too, into creating buildings rather than being a 1-off sacrifice.

I'm also somewhat leery of dwarven workers being sacrificed to hurry things faster. With the slaves, you're working them to death for faster building production, but that isn't really very dwarven.

it could be possible to give dwarven workers a spell that can be cast to add some extra hammers, at the cost of being immobalised for a few turns....

Sounds fishy for the AI.
I see no purpose for it. Worker units are for building improvements, and the AI kinda understands that. No need for them to also be working in cities somehow.

Well, it's not realy that good but I thought it could be used as an incentive for the AI to actualy build workers rather than filling him self with slaves.
Is there a way to make AI controlled slaves have the same work force as normal workers. So that the AI does not cripple her self with them? While reetaining their half power when human controlled.

Is there a way to make AI controlled slaves have the same work force as normal workers. So that the AI does not cripple her self with them? While reetaining their half power when human controlled.

i believe so, it should be possible to make slave work rate scale with difficulty... id have to check though

I thought it could be used as an incentive for the AI to actualy build workers rather than filling him self with slaves.

Adding an extra spell ability to workers isn't going to make the AI any more likely to build them, I don't think the AI works like that. Part of the problem is that improvement build rates are higher in this mod than in vanilla civ, but worker costs are the same and AI priority for workers is (I think) the same. The rest is that the AI is bad at losing workers to barbarians or invaders.

Increasing the workrate for AI slaves might be a workable fudge-fix, alternatively going with the design that had them create buildings, and not use worker AI at all.

Are dwarf players going to be encouraged to spread out with large cities? I know their wb starting position is a little health costly but that encourages me to build lots of smaller, still useful settlements.

In the fluff I think they have several large settlements and many many small ones so perhaps there could be a limit to the number of huge settlements they can get to a handful (3 or whatever the fluff says?)

I know this isn't that useful now but I figured what the heck.

Are dwarf players going to be encouraged to spread out with large cities? I know their wb starting position is a little health costly but that encourages me to build lots of smaller, still useful settlements.

In the fluff I think they have several large settlements and many many small ones so perhaps there could be a limit to the number of huge settlements they can get to a handful (3 or whatever the fluff says?)

I know this isn't that useful now but I figured what the heck.

dont know much about dwarfs.
but on the issue of 3 large and many small towns:

dwarf towns are limited to range 1 for town recource fields. (mostly underground so they dont cultivate large areas of i.e. farms 2 tiles away from the town. maybe allow it to get hammers from 2 tiles and food just from one)

and a building like:
Cave system.
national limit 3
effects:
can get hammers from 3 town tiles. and food from 2 tiles.
and some other effects maybe...

so most towns are small (just one range for food) but could produce average as they can get hammers from 2 tiles... but on the other hand... when they have low food they might not get enough people to get the hammers from 2 tiles... but maybe thats not a problem... so atleast they have the chance to use a high hammer and gold field two tiles away. i.e. a hill with gold and a mine.

and 3 towns can get the cave system to grow bigger...

maybe dwarfs could get automatically 1 hammer for each hill in town range, even without useing population on that hill... or that as additional effect to the cave system?...

dunno... just ideas

I'm not convinced that we need to limit dwarven cities. The dwarves are already going to have lots of penalties with no magic and poor mobility.
I think requiring to build cities on hills is probably enough in terms of limiting where they can go; it means that their city placement is suboptimal, which is a large penalty.

The one problem with this design is that it forces them to build on a hills tile, which means that there is one less hill tile around for them to actualyl build mines on. So you risk them actually having *lower* hammer outputs than other civs. But the Clansmanship civic makes up for this I think.

I'm not convinced that we need to limit dwarven cities. The dwarves are already going to have lots of penalties with no magic and poor mobility.
I think requiring to build cities on hills is probably enough in terms of limiting where they can go; it means that their city placement is suboptimal, which is a large penalty.

The one problem with this design is that it forces them to build on a hills tile, which means that there is one less hill tile around for them to actualyl build mines on. So you risk them actually having *lower* hammer outputs than other civs. But the Clansmanship civic makes up for this I think.

How about improving the city square's yield? Doesn't need to be huge.

I'd prefer to just given them UB forges that are better than normal ones.

Also;in terms of limited expansion, they currently have the FFH dwarven vault mechanic, that requires you to hold gold or suffer unhappiness. This encouragse you to have fewer cities.

I'd prefer to just given them UB forges that are better than normal ones.

Also;in terms of limited expansion, they currently have the FFH dwarven vault mechanic, that requires you to hold gold or suffer unhappiness. This encouragse you to have fewer cities.

Yeah I suppose the UB is the more flavorful and practical way to boost their hammers.

You mentioned in another thread that you really disliked the equipment promotion idea. I understand your point about the clutter factor but would this be a good system for hero units instead of all units?

I understand your point about the clutter factor but would this be a good system for hero units instead of all units?

We'll have a normal FFH-style piece of equipment for each hero once they get implemented, but I don't really see any need for extra upgrades that cost gold. 1 piece of interesting equipment will be plenty.

Are the dwarven mine improvements no longer canon?
These gave sufficient extra hammers to offset the suboptimal cityplacement.

How about a merchant event that allows buying food?
(prereq: granary + marketplace + X money. trigger: hunger in city)
Or a civy-special person, (wazzitcalledagain) that produces extra food.

Top Bottom