Random Idea: “Free Literature”

YonatanBlum

Warlord
Obviously, literature that is sold in bookstores is either written by current authors, who need money to continue writing, or was written by now dead authors. Thus, it is important to buy literature written by current authors if one wishes them to continue to do so; one could steal it through the internet, but doing so clearly does not help the author. Older literature, on the other hand, is owned by various companies or even relatives of the now dead author; by stealing such literature one does not hinder anyone but the company itself.

I do not know anything about economics; to me, it just seems logical that book-selling companies should support current authors, even if said author’s ideas are odd and seemingly unacceptable. Again, I do not know anything about this business; yet what would happen if all older literature is made free, through internet-distributed e-books, for example? Book-selling companies would lose a whole lot, obviously. They would be forced to accept more authors and publish more, new, literature, right?

This idea just popped up, and I had to voice it. It seems somewhat pointless, even to me. Not as pointless as some other topics here, I thought, and so decided to post it. Feel free to say that “this is idiotic,” and thus bring me down to earth; I would prefer a discussion, though. :)

I don't think the fact that the publishers are publishing "old stuff" hinders in any way the new and alive writers.
Its not like they have a set amount of paper available and they have to choose on what to spend it :)

This is idiotic! :D

Not really, but I do think you have overlooked some things. I don't know about you, but I read a lot, for pleasure. And when I do it's with the old-fashioned paper book. I do NOT, however buy (very many) new books. Used bookstores have better selection as well as better prices, and get 95% (at least) of my business.

But even "used" books can't be free. Just to keep the store open they have to charge, so it's not just greed, it's simple economics. The store has to pay rent, and salaries, and the electric bill, even though they have no overhead in author salaries or printing presses. Same goes for e-books: servers aren't free either.

Sorry TANSTAAFL, or should I say: TANSTAAFB

I don't think the fact that the publishers are publishing "old stuff" hinders in any way the new and alive writers.
Its not like they have a set amount of paper available and they have to choose on what to spend it :)

But without the "old stuff" to publish, they would see it as advantageous to publish literature they would otherwise not publish, no? They would strive to regain the material they lost in order to keep customers of all manner of literary tastes satisfied. I think. :p

In my opinion copyights should only last a few years, after which the book becomes public domain and can be prnted or reproduced at will. The same with music, and other forms of media. This is a good compromise I think.

baen.com has a free library. you can go there and get a professional debate on the merits of giving away books.

This is idiotic! :D

Not really, but I do think you have overlooked some things. I don't know about you, but I read a lot, for pleasure. And when I do it's with the old-fashioned paper book. I do NOT, however buy (very many) new books. Used bookstores have better selection as well as better prices, and get 95% (at least) of my business.

But even "used" books can't be free. Just to keep the store open they have to charge, so it's not just greed, it's simple economics. The store has to pay rent, and salaries, and the electric bill, even though they have no overhead in author salaries or printing presses. Same goes for e-books: servers aren't free either.

Sorry TANSTAAFL, or should I say: TANSTAAFB

I read a lot, as well, and I think I could get used to e-books, but that's just me. :)

Yep, I did overlook all of that stuff; what I had in mind was some sort of no-profit organization for the free distribution of literature through the internet. Kind of unrealistic, and I'm probably understating this.

You can read books online? Hurts my eyes too much, so I still buy books

On another note, it makes more sense to keep the copy right until at least several years after the origional artist is dead

You can read books online? Hurts my eyes too much, so I still buy books

On another note, it makes more sense to keep the copy right until at least several years after the origional artist is dead

switch to black text on a medium gray background and eyestrain is cut in 1/2

Obviously, literature that is sold in bookstores is either written by current authors, who need money to continue writing, or was written by now dead authors. Thus, it is important to buy literature written by current authors if one wishes them to continue to do so; one could steal it through the internet, but doing so clearly does not help the author. Older literature, on the other hand, is owned by various companies or even relatives of the now dead author; by stealing such literature one does not hinder anyone but the company itself.

I do not know anything about economics; to me, it just seems logical that book-selling companies should support current authors, even if said author’s ideas are odd and seemingly unacceptable. Again, I do not know anything about this business; yet what would happen if all older literature is made free, through internet-distributed e-books, for example? Book-selling companies would lose a whole lot, obviously. They would be forced to accept more authors and publish more, new, literature, right?

This idea just popped up, and I had to voice it. It seems somewhat pointless, even to me. Not as pointless as some other topics here, I thought, and so decided to post it. Feel free to say that “this is idiotic,” and thus bring me down to earth; I would prefer a discussion, though. :)

Stealing is inherently wrong, and as such no rationalization save the protection of basic human rights will justify your argument. Personal greed drives that sort of desire to steal, as little as the companies may deserve the money. I don't agree with the law, but this isn't a case that warrants quoting some Thoreau.

And on your other idea, flooding the world with nothing but new crap would make it even harder to discern what is good and what is not. A bit counterintuitive to the continuance of good literature, wouldn't you say?

How copyrights expire after the author or composer's death is a fine system already.

The 50 (or 70, in some jurisdictions) year wait is a bit excessive though.

Project Gutenberg is a website where you can legally download books with expired copyrights.
By American and German law the copyroght expires 70 years after the author's death.

Umm

How is a library not free, or as close to free as one can realistically get?

PS: Your idea makes no economic sense, and quite frankly no philosophical sense either

I don't think copyright to older literature is necessarily owned by companies. Stuff like the Odyssey is just public domain. You can buy a Penguin Classic version not because Penguin owns the content, but because they're the ones who happen to put it in book form.

And as JerichoHill points out, you can always go to your local public library and read the books there. Heck, they'll even let you take them home. ;)

Cleo

Top Bottom