Am i the only one who plays the game in strategic view?

Nope, it looks hideous. I usually only switch to it to check on roads/railroads as sometimes they are tougher to follow in normal view

Game is so pretty; i wouldn't want to hide that.

Not everyone has the privilege of a computer that can make it pretty...:(

Nope, it looks hideous. I usually only switch to it to check on roads/railroads as sometimes they are tougher to follow in normal view

Game is so pretty; i wouldn't want to hide that.

^This.
Why only strategic view? Why not just jump back to 1991 and play Civ 1?

My computer won't easily run CiV unless I've got strategic view on. However, I do click over to normal view whenever I build a new wonder, just to see where it's been placed. Couldn't tell you how many times Stonehenge has ended up underwater :lol:

I sometimes switch to it at the end just to finish the game faster. Did this last night though and ran into a UI issue: how do you select air units on a carrier?? Kept having to go back to normal to select fighters.

I only play normal view. Playing in strategic view reminds me of the first computer game I played in 1974- 'Moon Lander' in text mode, with the viewable output being only from a daisy-wheel printout. I play video games to enjoy the beautiful graphics, as well as for the actual gaming. If I want to play a bland board game, I'd buy a board. But that's just me. If you like a board game showing on your screen instead of the actual world, to each their own.

This.

Normal view isn't that confusing to me, so I don't think the "edge" is there for me in strat view anyways, only ugly tiling.

I play in strategic view because it's faster than playing in normal view, especially on my puttputt laptop.

I do, however, need to turn off the hexed tile layer, regardless of whether I'm playing in strategic or normal view.

It is hard to see rivers whenever a river is on the same hex face as a cultural border when playing with the hexed tile layer. There's been more than one instance where I moved a unit over a cultural border that mysteriously ended that unit's turn. :(

Yeah i also play strategic because i have to. It isn't that bad once you get used to it though :).

I play in strategic view because it's faster than playing in normal view, especially on my puttputt laptop.

I do, however, need to turn off the hexed tile layer, regardless of whether I'm playing in strategic or normal view.

It is hard to see rivers whenever a river is on the same hex face as a cultural border when playing with the hexed tile layer. There's been more than one instance where I moved a unit over a cultural border that mysteriously ended that unit's turn. :(

Ugh. That grid is so distracting, that it is actually counter-productive to me. That unholy grid goes OFF when I'm playing, no exceptions.

I use it because it's a top-down view. Normal view is 3D and makes it harder for me to judge distances and other terrain features that are farther away, especially with a fixed camera angle.

Plus I don't particularly care about watching unit animations when I'm already thinking five moves ahead and with a large handful of units to deal with. As others have said, it's faster.

Top Bottom