Cradle of Civilization

ThisNameIsTooLo

Emotion Lord
Am I allowed to make two threads in such a short span of time? I hope it's okay.

Anyway, I know that we currently have a Revolutions mod for Civ V in beta. I enjoyed it in Civ IV because it allowed you to more or less simulate the phenomenon of civilizations growing out from a single location, if you set it up properly beforehand. However, I feel like this could be taken a step further.

In tandem with the Revolutions mod, and a few others perhaps, I'd like to have a version of Civ V where you start with only a single unit in one camp of several in the region. From there, you create a city-state, and evolve it into a full-fledged civilization. Meanwhile, AI units which manage to successfully make their own city-states will be trying to do the same.

The unit you start out with is a special kind that you only get one of: a Tribe. The Tribe is basically a super-powerful (for the Ancient Era) Settler, having the combat prowess of a Warrior, and the movement bonuses of a Scout. It automatically generates 1 Science per turn, and also has the ability to expend 2 movement points for an extra 1 Science per turn. You'll need these to research Agriculture, which is now required to found your first city. Of course, this Tribe is consumed the moment it is used to found your city-state.

Other camps, and even the camp you spawned from, will intermittently spawn AI-controlled Tribe units as well as Brutes. (In fact, it could be an option to allow a number of turns to pass before you get your Tribe unit, so the AI gets a head start on you.)

Anyway, once you found your City-State, you will be playing a One-City challenge until you become a full civilization. In order to do that, you must earn 12 Civilization Points. Each of the following achievements is worth 1 point:

• Every Citizen beyond the first in your Capital.
  • Every unlocked Social Policy or Social Policy Branch.
  • Every Technology researched.
  • Every 100 Gold in your treasury.
  • Every Military Unit you build.

Once you've done enough, your City-State will automatically become a full civilization, and you can settle new cities.

Now, some of the City-States built by AI Tribes will be attempting to reach full civilization status as well. Upon its founding, a City-State will have a randomly generated factor (0-100) which determines how aggressively it pursues Civilization Points. Of course, you the player won't know which ones are trying to become full civs and which aren't until they actually develop.

There may be options which put a hard limit on the number of civs that can develop from City-States at the beginning of the game, or skew AI City-States toward or away from desiring Civilization status.

That's what I have so far. What do you think?

Am I allowed to make two threads in such a short span of time? I hope it's okay.

Anyway, I know that we currently have a Revolutions mod for Civ V in beta. I enjoyed it in Civ IV because it allowed you to more or less simulate the phenomenon of civilizations growing out from a single location, if you set it up properly beforehand. However, I feel like this could be taken a step further.

In tandem with the Revolutions mod, and a few others perhaps, I'd like to have a version of Civ V where you start with only a single unit in one camp of several in the region. From there, you create a city-state, and evolve it into a full-fledged civilization. Meanwhile, AI units which manage to successfully make their own city-states will be trying to do the same.

The unit you start out with is a special kind that you only get one of: a Tribe. The Tribe is basically a super-powerful (for the Ancient Era) Settler, having the combat prowess of a Warrior, and the movement bonuses of a Scout. It automatically generates 1 Science per turn, and also has the ability to expend 2 movement points for an extra 1 Science per turn. You'll need these to research Agriculture, which is now required to found your first city. Of course, this Tribe is consumed the moment it is used to found your city-state.

Other camps, and even the camp you spawned from, will intermittently spawn AI-controlled Tribe units as well as Brutes. (In fact, it could be an option to allow a number of turns to pass before you get your Tribe unit, so the AI gets a head start on you.)

Anyway, once you found your City-State, you will be playing a One-City challenge until you become a full civilization. In order to do that, you must earn 12 Civilization Points. Each of the following achievements is worth 1 point:

[*]Every Citizen beyond the first in your Capital.
[*]Every unlocked Social Policy or Social Policy Branch.
[*]Every Technology researched.
[*]Every 100 Gold in your treasury.
[*]Every Military Unit you build.

Once you've done enough, your City-State will automatically become a full civilization, and you can settle new cities.

Now, some of the City-States built by AI Tribes will be attempting to reach full civilization status as well. Upon its founding, a City-State will have a randomly generated factor (0-100) which determines how aggressively it pursues Civilization Points. Of course, you the player won't know which ones are trying to become full civs and which aren't until they actually develop.

There may be options which put a hard limit on the number of civs that can develop from City-States at the beginning of the game, or skew AI City-States toward or away from desiring Civilization status.

That's what I have so far. What do you think?

Love it. Maybe each first city would be a capital? I.e. you might start with the CS of Beijing, but if it becomes a full-fledged civ, it becomes the civ of China?

This is one of the most original ideas I've seen in this forum and on top of that sounds like it might be pretty good and I think it may be moddable with just lua. The only thing that might require fiddling in the dll would be making sure the AI, especially those destined to become city-states, didn't just stand around when their tribe spawned until they can settle - but even that could be bypassed with a script that overrode the AI until the first city was settled.
It would also require its' own mapscripts to ensure the starting camps are sufficiently well distributed.

So would Monaco be able to become a City-State? Because the way that you get to civilization status, it seems like any City-State could become a civilization. What if you were never able to start a civilization? Would you be doomed as a City-State forever, and would never be able to achieve any victory condition?

So would Monaco be able to become a City-State? Because the way that you get to civilization status, it seems like any City-State could become a civilization. What if you were never able to start a civilization? Would you be doomed as a City-State forever, and would never be able to achieve any victory condition?

I was thinking that all the civs playing would be predetermined, as they are in a normal game. When an AI City-State evolves, it picks the AI civilization that is most suited toward its trait and personality, of whatever's left. Once the list of AI civilizations is exhausted, no more City-States can become civilizations. However, you the player are always able to evolve into the Human Player civilization, regardless of how many civilizations have formed.

And there should be no reason why you are unable to start a civilization, since the prerequisites are all things you should be doing in every single game.

Top Bottom