Kamikaze AI???

Sleepwalker91

Chieftain
Playing on emperor as Sweden, stuck at war with Germany which DOW'd me during the modern era.
Every turn, instead of using Fighters, they regularly send a bomber over my units which obviously gets destroyed by my AA gun. THEN they send fighters attacking my tanks/random units doing very little damage (all my Infantries have the March promotion because they were promoted while Caroleans) and slowly killing their own aerial forces.

The results? After barely 10 turns I have captured three of their cities and liberated an occupied CS (one more step toward Diplo Victory, yoink) meeting very scarce land opposition, and they start sueing for peace without even having fought at all.

Why on earth does the AI make such a bad use of its air units?

I dunno. I always forget to build AA or fighters so when they send bombers at me, it works for them pretty well.

AI is getting a little better. In Civ 4, the AI would commit mass-suicide in your country, allowing you to mount a more effective offensive war.

One map, I messed around by having a city with 125% defense and 50 jet fighters (this was before BtS). The AI would just commit suicide on the city over and over again with no result. It did not, however, attempt any air attacks.

One thing the AI could learn how to do with respect to air attacks and carriers, though, is stop getting close enough to cities to be bombarded by them. It's an error that a human would almost never make, and carriers in all Civ games are a fragile unit.

Naval AI using ZOC to kill your promoted frigate:

Spoiler :

More ZOC action (ok, he also had terrain and the Great Wall):

Spoiler :

AI sends out an AA gun... then when it realizes it couldn't do much with it, it retreated

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

It cant really learn from its units dying, or it would be a whole new level of AI.

The AI does appear to know when its losing too many units and will retreat. i`ve seen it do it a few times. It`s not learning, but it`s been programmed to recognise this situation and act on it.

That said, it does still sometimes plant an important unit right in the fire of my city`s guns. But then again, even Humans make that mistake.

Top Bottom