Brave New World Patch notes! Version 1.0.3.276

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also great about the warmongering penalty reduction. It was just too much

The multi-player problems may actually be a good thing. If it is truly as bad as people are saying, then they will HAVE to fix it with another patch. When they do, there might be other goodies attached, such as building synergies with the new resources and or pantheon beliefs for them.

3 culture in the capital is just way stronger than 1 per city, even if going wide. By the time we make this decision, we we'll usually still be stuck with one city, even when planning REX. The total amount of culture generated will be larger with the tradition opener, to the very least until early midgame.
And we haven't even mentioned the faster tile aquisition yet, which is pretty useful for wide empires, too.

You only get the faster border expansion in your first 4 cities.

I don't think that is correct, and that the faster border expansion applies empire wide. The faster border expansion you get from 4 free culture buildings is above and beyond that. Anyone routinely found 6+ cities when using Tradition?

Using Liberty, I typically build monument as my first build, but the border growth empire wide is slow. The only rexing I have done with Tradition is when I am trying to fill out both Tradition and Liberty, and border growth I remember as being strong. (But then, I was not expecting border growth to only be limited to four cities, so I may not have been watching closely enough.)

This is not correct. The Tradition opener reduces the exponent in the plot culture cost formula by 0.25 and applies to all cities. The formula for tile t+1 is 15+(10(t-1))^1.1 without Tradition and 15+(10(t-1))^0.85 with the Tradition opener.

Multiplayer has been...fairly impossible to play so quick fixes would be appreciated by all the fans. Constant reloading makes the game unenjoyable and slow to play. This is especially important for those who have become tired of singleplayer (like me).

Great improvement on this patch for the multiplayer experience. Thank you developers.

Sarcasm? The public MP lobbies here in the UK are dead since the patch. I tried hosting one yesterday, Friday evening, usually prime time, and not a single person joined. Plus no one playing NQ any more either.

The multi-player problems may actually be a good thing. If it is truly as bad as people are saying, then they will HAVE to fix it with another patch. When they do, there might be other goodies attached, such as building synergies with the new resources and or pantheon beliefs for them.

Firaxis is one of the most apathetic, incompetent, and unresponsive developers out there. It took them a year to churn out this patch which theoretically addressed some major exploits and BNW coding errors....oh and you got bison and cocoa and a policy tweak. I mean really ffs, how can you get excited for this bs? One is a worse deer other a worse citrus and now ppl will just go liberty again or play with piety.

They ignored all of the problems this patch was to resolve FOR NEARLY A YEAR. They released BE full of bugs and barely stable. If you think anything good is coming from them voluntarily, you are sorely mistaken. Consider the content in the Workshop vs. what Firaxis has put out since the release of the game. It's mindblowing how lazy and/or incompetent they are.

This is why nothing will get fixed until people light a fire under their ass. Call them out on facebook (one of the very few public forums they have), 2k forums, and contact T2 and ask them to shake things up at their subsidiary.

PS Still think they did think on purpose to peel multiplayers into BE.

Firaxis is one of the most apathetic, incompetent, and unresponsive developers out there. It took them a year to churn out this patch which theoretically addressed some major exploits and BNW coding errors....oh and you got bison and cocoa and a policy tweak. I mean really ffs, how can you get excited for this bs? One is a worse deer other a worse citrus and now ppl will just go liberty again or play with piety.

They ignored all of the problems this patch was to resolve FOR NEARLY A YEAR. They released BE full of bugs and barely stable. If you think anything good is coming from them voluntarily, you are sorely mistaken. Consider the content in the Workshop vs. what Firaxis has put out since the release of the game. It's mindblowing how lazy and/or incompetent they are.

This is why nothing will get fixed until people light a fire under their ass. Call them out on facebook (one of the very few public forums they have), 2k forums, and contact T2 and ask them to shake things up at their subsidiary.

Amen!

I will give them one or two months from the patch's release. Only after that I will start to believe they purposefully broke it.

I know it's been said to death, but every time I look at a mod, it says a "yes" to multiplayer. I know they tried to make mods in multiplayer, but rolled it back after the fall patch.

I will be patient.

Thank you for fixing trading bug finally, since I am playing only multiplayer game, and some guys were ruining game with that, but lot of reloads in mp, always someone getting crash, whole mp game unplayable, so please give me the patch version before this, cause with that at least we could play mp, no we cannt... Beyond Earth also needs a patch, every 6player+ mp game crashing there.

i was hoping they would fix the disappearing city and CS graphics i get mid to late game sometimes. i dont play multiplayer, for various reasons such as if i can barely beat single player on chieftain i have no hope in multiplayer. and i dont enjoy always losing badly, i want to be able to have a chance of winning. i dont know now if i will ever even try if its going to crash so much as is said.

i do like the change to warmonger penalty it makes much sense as civilisations 'grow up' and advance they become more...civilised, and only resort to war as a last option. the bison and cocoa do seem a bit weak compared to other resources tho.

That is a rather silly notion considering that they patched CivIV to work without GameSpy and provide a legacy version as well for Direct IP connections. This is nine years after release - Firaxis sometimes makes a mess and isn't hyper-responsive like some smaller developers but they seem to care about their games.

Assuming a conspiracy and breaking things on purpose is rather disingenuous. As so often, "cock-up before conspiracy" applies.

Assuming a conspiracy and breaking things on purpose is rather disingenuous. As so often, "cock-up before conspiracy" applies.

Yeah, I'm inclined to give Firaxis the benefit of the doubt and assume that the stuff broken in the patch was due to carelessness/the fact that most of Civ V's development team is probably either on BE or working on Civ VI (which we all know is coming...) Still doesn't excuse what happened to multiplayer, but what scares me is that I'm not sure if they'll fix it.

That is a rather silly notion considering that they patched CivIV to work without GameSpy and provide a legacy version as well for Direct IP connections. This is nine years after release - Firaxis sometimes makes a mess and isn't hyper-responsive like some smaller developers but they seem to care about their games.

It was the timing of the patch that made me skeptical. They outright ignored every single code error and exploit covered in this patch for nearly a year. The policy changes and new resources are laughable from a content perspective (basically anyone who builds mods on here can tell you that it's about 10h of time to create/encode). So this whole thing probably took them 30h to slap together. They drop it 3 days after disappointing (on both sides) BE release. With BE buggy as fudge they decide to 'fix' Civ5? Does not smell right.

I might come off as someone with an axe to grind with Firaxis, but that's really only true recently. I've been playing Civ since CivII, and I paid full retail for almost every Firaxis title at release. I just really think something at Firaxis stinks as of the past few years. I don't know if it's the talent or the execs, but between the half-ass way they supported/milked Civ5 from release to the lazy job on BE, I'm really reluctant to buy another title form them. It's like they count on the Workshop to fix all the problems in their releases, but at same time will not allow multiplayer modding because then they will never ever sell any DLC (since someone can just clone it and offer it for free).

The people at Firaxis broke CiV multiplayer so me and all my friends would have to come empty their cubicle trash cans every night..... they know that now we have nothing else to do.... we are trapped in this genius Trash Can Conspiracy

On a serious note, I am very happy with the warmonger penalty reduction so far. Actual early game conquest is still pretty much a wash (BNW's original removal of river gold and science penalty making puppet's useless) but on my first post-patch run I was able to surprise-attack continental rivals and weaken them without having to do 50 turns of exhausting game-y psuedo-diplomatic groundwork first - AND get a ton of use out of my mid game units for once - AND enter the industrial/WC era with the diplomatic landscape not being completely broken. Yes you could exclusively beat up the same AI before the patch with the same effect, but that was cheesy, tedious, and bad for immersion. Switching to a new target after one AI is crippled is a lot more fun. Usually, before the patch, I had to scrap the games that were this "lively" because the AI was in meltdown hatred mode by turn 180. Yes, I knew how to game the AI/diplomacy to avoid said meltdown - it wasn't fun.

BNW forced you to decide almost without exception between early warfare or late game diplomacy - destroying the unified narrative/role-play experience CiV had before, especially in G&K. My first impression of the patch is that it's fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom