TerraForm -- a map editor for CIV dos

GoldBerg said:
where is the latest TERRAFORM version
download link?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=3019952&postcount=1

GoldBerg said:
what a D#*3 _ F§$%&#* _ S$%& ...
(no-no-no - that's NO 'reg key' - although it looks like it)
What is that?

Tenochtitlan said:
... You are our only hope.
Then we are all in real trouble.

GoldBerg said:
it's a mess...
3 forums with links and hints to terraform program, leading to CFC here
and the programmer 'plays dead' or whatever...?
DEAD!
Whats a mess?

But what I do see on those other forums are posts that a lifted from civfanatics.

______________________________________________​

Current status:
Some days I work on it, some days I don't.

As stated in the first entry:
TerraForm is undergoing a major rewrite if all goes well it will return.

At the current moment I have no scheduled date. It depends.
Sorry if this causes any inconvenience.

see:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=3019952&postcount=1

Good to hear from you Dack! We can't wait! :goodjob:

Dack, although I don't use your editor, and probably never will as I play WinCiv, I admire your devotion to developing an editor for this game. :worship:

Dack said:

no version 1.0.35 there?

Dack said:
What is that?
one for sure: no terraform program key.

Dack said:
what I do see on those other forums are posts that a lifted from civfanatics.
...and if it's in this way - it wouldn't matter.
what matters is that some people from freeciv or apolyton or wherever
came to this forum and *wow! hooray!* - no TF anymore at civfanatics.

version 1.0.35 is 100times better than the excel script anyway.
and -hey!-
the problems we have with 1.0.35 not perfect fitting game | editor implementations (or whatTFever) are far less
than with the old excel script.

did the key -making / -sending biznizz wore you out? :crazyeye:

TerraForm has a serious flaw as discovered by simonnomis in entry #49 of this thread. See the discussions that follows in the entries following entry #49. See my note in Entry #55.

There are other problems such as which of the cities built by other civs can build ships. They don't seem to set the bit that allows a city to build boats if the body of water is a lake (inland sea).

I humbly apologize to anyone who was inconvenienced in anyway by the withdrawal of TerraForm. It only gives the allusion of working. Terrain squares that are converted may not have the proper indicators set. This may cause the games civs to build cities in inappropriate places or not at all.

Quotes from GoldBerg in Green
did the key -making / -sending biznizz wore you out?

Well no, quite the opposite I often wondered if my email was working. The level of interest is at best lets say minimal. Even that is a generous statement.

This time of the year the days are too long and pleasant to be indoors. That being said I currently don't know when I will release a new version. I looked around and it seems that version 35 was deleted sometime after I removed the link from the first entry. I don't have a copy of the install, but if anyone is moving to a new pc and needs a key send me an e-mail.

Does anyone have a copy of the install? I've been waiting since January to try this out.

Dack said:
This time of the year the days are too long and pleasant to be indoors. That being said I currently don't know when I will release a new version. I looked around and it seems that version 35 was deleted sometime after I removed the link from the first entry. I don't have a copy of the install, but if anyone is moving to a new pc and needs a key send me an e-mail.

Some people don't have terra form at all... What can we do?

sotris99 said:
What can we do?

Well I have good intentions, but the weeks just roll by and I don’t seem to get around to getting it in a form that can be distributed.

Perhaps later in the year.

Version 2 of Terraform
The games countries only build on plains, grassland or river squares. They do this by checking a value “City build value”. I have not come up with an exact matching value for every square, but something close. So as to not upset the configuration of a game that may be saved with only minor changes. TerraForm marks the squares that a user has changed and at the SAVE function it re-evaluates the value only for the squares that change. (also for the 20 squares that are effected if this falls in the range of a city).

All Cities are checked for there proximity to seas so that the "by the sea bit" will be set. This can change cities that were built by the game that were later captured by the human player. (See This)

The “allow hydro plants” bit is set for city adjacent to mountain or river square.

There is also a check for Illegal landforms. There are two that I know about.
1) Rivers that are only one square that do not connect to the sea. The game seems to be ok with this, but does not display a river square with a stream, only a bare river square. Look at the center square in the 3x3 island. It is a river.
2) The three 2X2 land squares connected by land bridges have strange attributes. Boats can pass through the land bridge connecting the 2x2 squares. Also land units can cross the bridges connecting the 2x2 squares. This never appears in worlds created by the game. It is flagged by Terraform, the user can save it or not.

There is also a bug that occurs quite often. The units that occupy the same square are linked by a linked list. This becomes corrupted sometimes. Mostly it is not noticed, but sometimes units disappear or seem to be in other locations. In drastic cases the game freezes or terminates.
This game (SEE THIS) can be fixed by re-linking the units’ list. The new version of TerraForm checks when you open a file and offers to fix the SVE file if the user desires.

Version 2 of Terraform see first entry in this thread

Version 2 is coming soon :eek:

TerraForm version 2 - ready for download
Look at the first post

1) Unzip TerraForm.zip
2) If you have TerraForm ver1 on your pc delete it or rename the folder
2) Double click on TerraForm.msi to install.
3) Run TerraForm
4) Under about --- request registration key
Follow instructions

How do I fix this?

This is what I get when I click on the MSI file

Dack, do you have instant messaging? PM your msn or xfire if you do

version 2 is coming!!! :crazyeye:

Noli has installed Version 2, so I assume that I didn’t leave any files out of the install. Tenochtitian appears to be having problems with his Windows Installer, hope you are able to fix it.

So I guess that we will be looking for the next bug.

The Key mechanism has changed; the key will now be supplied in a file. As usual request for keys will be addressed immediately if I am at this computer, so patients please if I am away.

I think this time I’ll list the people who request keys in the first entry of this thread. So everyone can see how little interest there is for this.

Dack said:
... ...
The new version of TerraForm checks when you open a file and offers to fix the SVE file if the user desires.

this is a very interesting point.
i can't count how much games i had to quit the last 14 years
because of those errors.

thanks for the key, Dack - it works fine.

i just found time to alter an already game generated map / situation and it works as far as i could test it but i didn't change or build anything completely new 'til now because i find no time to do so at the moment.

i'll inform you when i find bugs
(not already mentioned in this thread) or else.

when i find enough time (again)
i will create that scenario i had in mind
when the bug(s) in the TF 1.*** versions stopped me
to go on with it...

Yeah, I had that + program crash when trying to save a map the first few times I tried, then like magic it started working just as I was ready to give up and I havent been able to reproduce the error again since then.

Andy6474b said:
I had ... program crash when trying to save a map ... I havent been able to reproduce the error again since then.
Andy6474b has been able to isolate the error he found. I have been able to reproduce it here. As soon as I can figure it out there will be a new release.

Wow! Nine Users of TerraForm 2 in the first month.

I want to remind you (The NineThe Ten*) that this program’s continued existence depends on you using and testing it. I’m sure we haven’t seen the last bug yet. If you come across an anomaly try to isolate down to the keystrokes that caused it. Email me with the details that caused it.

On another note: Earth
Funny thing about Earth, it has four terrain irregularities. If you look along the top of the Eurasia continent you will find thee of them, the other one is to the west. In the picture below the white lines mark terrain features that are not found in regular landforms. You can sail right across these land bridges.

This battleship sailed into an inland sea.

* became ten as I typed this

Top Bottom