Civ 1 Quiz

Where did you quote that from?

to the last question: "of civilization"? Or is that the spaceship victory?

Nope. You're right! Well done :D

Now it's your turn to ask a question.

Cool! Now....

an easy one for veterans..... Which Civ was almost included in the game but left out at the last minute?

Simple, I know, but I cant think of anything...

The Turks.

What is the shortest possible time for your first city to create its first settler, and how?

One turn (any difficulty except Chieftain).

Here's how:
  1. build city in 4000BC (or any year, doesn't matter)
  2. sell Palace
  3. rush-build Barracks and change to Settlers
Voila, Settlers in one turn (3980BC in my example).

You can have TWO Settlers by 3920BC if you wait one turn each time before rush-buying the Barracks.

Oh wow that's great. ^^

I'm not too sure how great it is...I haven't tested/researched enough to see if selling the palace is a significant hindrance later on because of the ensuing corruption. Without a palace, every city can only have one trade arrow under despotism. All other arrows are wasted (corruption).

Since akTed has resurrected this thread, I will resurrect Alice's question.

Well, here's my next question:

What score do you need to complete your palace, in Emperor level?

Well? As Alice remarked 12 years ago, there is a question waiting to be answered!

Since akTed has resurrected this thread, I will resurrect Alice's question.

Well? As Alice remarked 12 years ago, there is a question waiting to be answered!

I'm pretty sure it's 100% or over, no logic for it to be otherwise.

1055 points (105%) for a complete palace.

Working out the answer to that question ad hoc would probably have required some knowledge of the EXE which didn't exist at the time. I stared for a while at the emperor values in 640k a Day, but I couldn't see a formula.

Here's a related question that can be worked out!

What score is 100% on King difficulty?

I'm not too sure how great it is...I haven't tested/researched enough to see if selling the palace is a significant hindrance later on because of the ensuing corruption. Without a palace, every city can only have one trade arrow under despotism. All other arrows are wasted (corruption).

Courthouses could help but not all your cities will get to make enough trade to build courthouses. Building courthouses in cities that have gold or any tile that has a lot of trade would have it worth it to build a courthouse.

Thanks Tristan!

Hmm, my question is....

If an enemy civ builds The Great Wall [/UN], does it actually have any effect on you when you parley with them?

The Great Wall and United Nations are not enforced when an AI builds them. They have no effect.

While we are resurrecting old questions:
I came across at least two questions never correctly answered in this thread.

1) What is the effect of Michelangelo's Cathedral on cathedrals?

2) How many future techs are there?

There may be others.

Regarding the question "Which of the power plants is the most expensive?"
My tongue-in-cheek answer is Hoover Dam.

1) What is the effect of Michelangelo's Cathedral on cathedrals?

Looking at the disassembled CIV.EXE 474.01, having Michelangelo's Chapel makes Cathedrals remove 6 unhappy citizens instead of 4 - that is, 50% increase in Cathedral effect.

This only applies if the Civ already knows Religion. Seems to apply to all Civs, including player, but I may have missed a jump.

Although claimed by the Civilopedia, knowledge of Communism does not seem to deprecate it in any way (no asm instruction related to this in CIV.EXE 474.01...)

2) How many future techs are there?

Hard to answer :)
In SVE (and thus CIV.EXE memory) the number of Future Techs is stored on 2 bytes (see: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12422448#d35756)

If they represent a signed short integer, the maximum value is 32,767 (this is the case for treasure gold)
If they represent an unsigned short integer, the maximum value is 65,535

But there may be other verifications in the code - best would be to hack an SVE (e.g. with JCivED) and see what happens :)

Looking at the disassembled CIV.EXE 474.01, having Michelangelo's Chapel makes Cathedrals remove 6 unhappy citizens instead of 4 - that is, 50% increase in Cathedral effect.
I agree. Cathedrals are boosted up to 6 content citizens instead of 4.

Although claimed by the Civilopedia, knowledge of Communism does not seem to deprecate it in any way (no asm instruction related to this in CIV.EXE 474.01...)
This is inconsistent with the way I remember it, but I play 474.05. I don't build Mike's any more because it doesn't last long enough to be worth the expense.

Hard to answer :)
In SVE (and thus CIV.EXE memory) the number of Future Techs is stored on 2 bytes (see: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12422448#d35756)

If they represent a signed short integer, the maximum value is 32,767 (this is the case for treasure gold)
If they represent an unsigned short integer, the maximum value is 65,535
This is speculation on my part, but I think the size of the research box is stored in a 16-bit signed integer. Dividing that by the 28 bulbs per discovery (Christian era emperor), the theoretical maximum would be Future Tech 1103. In my experience, however, the game does not allow the research box to reach the theoretical maximum. In my last game, I reached FT 929 in 20 BC. When the research box size doubled in AD 1, it exceeded some limit and science shut down. No bulbs are credited to research any more.
So all I can definitively say is there are fewer than 929 future techs for an emperor if you do your research after AD 1. As a lower limit, I seem to remember reaching FT 750 after AD 1 and still being able to do research, but this is just vague memory of a game that I can't find a save of.
Back to your original statement - this is a hard question to answer.

I use 474.04 and the chapel does go obsolete as expected. The bigger the civ, the faster it pays for itself. There are enough raw lightbulbs of separation between religion and communism (which can be put off until all other tech is finished), that it should always be worth it.

Top Bottom