Do people still play the original CIV?

Twenty something years ago my friends and I wasted days and nights playing civ. I tried it recently. I just keep getting annoyed by lack of cultural borders. I can't stand that someone is able to sneak up and build a town two steps from mine, hindering it's development. so, no. I don'g go below 3 any more.

units can't walk passed units, so strategically placing your units, creating a border, will stop that.

Thread title, question:

Do people still play the original CIV?

Oh me, oh my, oh my!

Answer:
I usually play another game of civDOS after reading a while in this forum.

DosBox + original civ game, non-modified.
Just let the game pick a random map or play EARTH.

Works, and gives most interesting game results. Since 1991. ;)

I've started playing Civ again recently and I'm far from bored yet. What is nice about Civ1 is that it can be played on almost any computer. I'm running it on a linux pc via dosbox and on an android phone and tablet via dosbox turbo. The retro feel on a tablet is awesome.

It's good to know there are more of us on planet earth. I've recently started designing my own maps using JCivED. Thanks darkpanda for your efforts ;)

Indeed, you are not alone ! Some of us are even mad enough to create entire map editors and modding tools, in 201X, for this 20-year old game: JCivED

Anyhow, I have a strong feeling too about Civ1 play experience, and I believe none of the sequels could fully recapture it...

I've been playing CIV.DOS since 1992. That's 23 years already. And I keep playing trying new scenarios. Good to see that in forums.civfanatics I can find various scenarios to try out.

YEPPPP! These days on a win10 machine with a DOS machine in VMware Workstation.
The only drawback, is the size of the display.
Haven't found a way of making the game bigger on screen.

YEPPPP! These days on a win10 machine with a DOS machine in VMware Workstation.
The only drawback, is the size of the display.
Haven't found a way of making the game bigger on screen.

You can't. For CivWin and CivMac you could (to the point that on larger monitors you could see almost the whole planet), but DOS was a set screen size.

You can't. For CivWin and CivMac you could (to the point that on larger monitors you could see almost the whole planet), but DOS was a set screen size.
Is there not some way in DOSBox to 'stretch' the display, though?

So each pixel becomes, say, 4 pixels, quadrupling the original gamescreen-size, but without including any extra coverage of the map? Might make the gamescreen look more grainy -- but likely not, since pixels on modern-day LCD screens are (a lot) smaller than CRT-monitors ca. 1991.

Top Bottom