Playing Without Spaceship

kirkham7

Warlord
I was wondering if there was a way to disable spaceship construction? I would like to play without spaceships. In looking on the forums, I noticed that there are 4 extra spaces for technologies, would it be possible to assign the three city improvements for creating spaceships to one of these extra spaces to take them out of the game?

I was just wondering if the three ss improvements could be assigned to a dummy tech and then not make the tech researchable?

Maybe can code trick the Appollo wonders of the world is destroyed (owned by barbarians, =Civs wont try to build it) but still it was never built (=you are not allowed to build space ships even if you got the tech)... I haven't seen the code or would understand it so not sure if it is possible.

Hmm, can the Apollo wonder be changed to only show the map instead of allowing the creation of the spaceship?

Maybe (don't know if it's possible) make the Space Ship parts obsolete when you've invented Alphabet?
Can't mix techs and improvements I'm afraid, but SWY's suggestion could do the trick maybe...

Would that stop the AI from building space ship parts? :dunno:

I think Kirkham is correct here, you can set spaceship part to become available with blank tech, that can't really be reached with tech tree.

It's easy to do with hex editor and allows you still to build Apollo wonder to see all cities.And it should forbit AI to build spaceship too, I guess.

You probably know this thread but it's always worth linking:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=331078

Yeah, that is where I got the idea of the dummy tech... My only question is what I change (in hex values like always :)).

1. Follow the instructions in the linked thread to decompress the Civ.exe.
2.The same thread there's list of Hex values for Civilization technologies/advances.For example the first dummy tech has value of 0x43.
3.In the linked thread it says the building table starts in the address 0x2D4CA (decompressed civ.exe version.475.01 , but all civDOS versions have the same table but the starting address may be different.) The name of buildings, spaceship parts and wonders are in text form. (Well I guess it depends on your Hex editor settings.) Scroll the list down till you see the Spaceship parts.
4. Again the linked thread states that tech requirement for the building is in relative offset 0x1C. That means 28th byte counted from the first letter of the name of the spaceship part. Replace that byte with hex value 43 for example. Do this for all space ship parts.

Now you should be able to play without spaceships. I haven't tested this though, but I'm interested to hear if it works. And how does AI reacts when it can't build the spaceship parts.

Haven't checked how AI does without it, but it works! It works with saved games as well. :) Sorry it took this long, but I just moved about 2 weeks ago..

Top Bottom