Guild Ideas

I honestly may not even have Cults; I'm still not entirely sure on them. Though the reasoning for that is influenced by an unannounced feature. :lol:

Not having them would certainly reduce the risk of the cults being more interesting...

On the other hand that still doesn't change the fact that I really like the idea of the guilds being dynamic and changing and it sounds like they'll have a more going on than religions.

I'll just wait and see what you've done with guilds and then see if I feel the same.

I would still vote for cults to make it in. But then again, I'm not sure I've heard the unannounced mechanic. So basically I trust you, but with my current knowledge I'm still pumped for cults.

(sounds a bit weird but whatever)

I like cults too - my only problem with them is that while being weaker than religions they seem to be more interesting mechanically and so really a better replacement (I'd go so far as to say I'd be happy with all religions being replaced by cults - as I currently understand how they'll work).

Still, without knowing all the ins and outs it's really all just idle speculation.

Keep in mind, these are all tentative and mostly holdovers from my first idea; Some will be changed, some will be removed.
As of now:
Spoiler :
GUILD_CLASS_ENGINEERING
Guild of Hammers
Stonefire Brotherhood
Has any boosts that are to do with metalworking
GUILD_CLASS_ARCANE
Circle of Eight
Alchemist Collective
Have the Arcane boosts

GUILD_CLASS_NAVAL

Kingfisher Brotherhood
Pirates
Have the Seafaring boosts
GUILD_CLASS_SIEGE
Dwarven Artificers
Fabricaforma
Have all the mechanical boosts e.g. Golems, Siege
GUILD_CLASS_CRIME
Negatives for all but CoE
:

Your a fan of ToEE I see.:mischief:

D'tesh has been busy around here, hasn't he?

Sortof.:mischief:

ToEE is a dnd based game for the computer where you created 5 characters who evetnually got to the the temple of elemental evil(the name of the game), and kill/ally with the evil god who was controlling the place.

The circle of eight were a group of modders who made a huge overhaul mod for the game: http://www.co8.org/forum/

...Feel free to post ideas on what types of guilds we should have. ;)..

Well, I have an idea that might help introduce an additional game element.

ie: Guild Wars (Not the psuedo mmo)

Basically, Guilds not only afford you whatever bonuses and uu's you are going to put in, but they also allow you to conduct something like a "Trade War."

So, you get Guild X and it has as a benefit, a UU, imagined something like a "Corporate Raider" that is invisible to most other units, except Recon (especially asssasins) and other UUs in it class (The UUs of other Guilds). Crossing borders with the unit is not an Act of War.

The unit has very limited sight distance and can't take advantage of terrain movement mods, so you can't use it to romp around unknown territory. But, when placed in another Civ's city that ALSO has a Guild, the unit leaches gold, stealing a portion of the trade benefits the city reaps from its own Guild. The counter to such a unit is either another Guild's UU or an Assassin/Recon unit. Give the UU and atk/def of 4 or so and terrain bonuses, just to keep low recon units (Scouts) from easily taking them out. You could also impose a limit on such UUs, perhaps one per Guild constructed in the hosting Civ's cities? (Would keep this unit from being spammed.)

The units could be blocked from going into another's territory using either a Civ's Worldspell, like the Elohim's, or a civic like Theocracy (or whatever it is that prevents the spread of other religions.) Alternatively, you could add a Wonder or a National that blocks such units from a city or the entire Civ.

The problem is I don't know if the AI could use such units/guilds. Basically, it's reintroducing a unit that was in one of the earlier Civ incarnations. Forget which one, atm. There's also a little bit more of turn-by-turn overhead calcs the computer has to do every turn for each of these Guild UUs in play and it already has to do a great deal in that area.

The benefit? It gives the player another game element to play with - Land Pirates (as opposed to the Hidden Nationality merchant pirate units.. whatever they're called. :D). It's not particularly strong and isn't supposed to be, but it could go well with a player's game if they're pushing for a non-combat victory and need more revenue. The point there is to provide those who are choosing that course a more "active" game by giving them some units to move around tactically, instead of just constantly hitting "Turn."

Well, I have an idea that might help introduce an additional game element.

ie: Guild Wars (Not the psuedo mmo)

Basically, Guilds not only afford you whatever bonuses and uu's you are going to put in, but they also allow you to conduct something like a "Trade War."

So, you get Guild X and it has as a benefit, a UU, imagined something like a "Corporate Raider" that is invisible to most other units, except Recon (especially asssasins) and other UUs in it class (The UUs of other Guilds). Crossing borders with the unit is not an Act of War.

The unit has very limited sight distance and can't take advantage of terrain movement mods, so you can't use it to romp around unknown territory. But, when placed in another Civ's city that ALSO has a Guild, the unit leaches gold, stealing a portion of the trade benefits the city reaps from its own Guild. The counter to such a unit is either another Guild's UU or an Assassin/Recon unit. Give the UU and atk/def of 4 or so and terrain bonuses, just to keep low recon units (Scouts) from easily taking them out. You could also impose a limit on such UUs, perhaps one per Guild constructed in the hosting Civ's cities? (Would keep this unit from being spammed.)

The units could be blocked from going into another's territory using either a Civ's Worldspell, like the Elohim's, or a civic like Theocracy (or whatever it is that prevents the spread of other religions.) Alternatively, you could add a Wonder or a National that blocks such units from a city or the entire Civ.

The problem is I don't know if the AI could use such units/guilds. Basically, it's reintroducing a unit that was in one of the earlier Civ incarnations. Forget which one, atm. There's also a little bit more of turn-by-turn overhead calcs the computer has to do every turn for each of these Guild UUs in play and it already has to do a great deal in that area.

The benefit? It gives the player another game element to play with - Land Pirates (as opposed to the Hidden Nationality merchant pirate units.. whatever they're called. :D). It's not particularly strong and isn't supposed to be, but it could go well with a player's game if they're pushing for a non-combat victory and need more revenue. The point there is to provide those who are choosing that course a more "active" game by giving them some units to move around tactically, instead of just constantly hitting "Turn."

Maybe, your own corporate raiders could be able to focus on countering an enemie's raider in your territory, as well as having a x chance of having the unit discovered and destroyed depending on how many of another player's units are in the city. You know kind of like how spies in base civ are handled.

Most likely not. At least nothing like you described; Too shallow of a mechanic, likely to be terribly annoying. Much like Espionage in BtS...

Thanks to you and Kael and the dev teams, et al, I don't play vanilla BTS. :D So, I don't have the dislike for the Espionage system that you have voiced in the past, probably because I don't know much about it.

There may or may not be a way for "guilds" to compete rather... actively, but the details of that aren't settled on.

It would be nice if there were an active element involved with Guilds, but I agree that it should not be something that overshadows, or takes too much time away from, actual game play dealing with the broader Win Condition conflict.

You could steal a page from CivV. Make each guild an AI controlled city that is randomly founded each each game (depending on map-size). You can be friendly with them and connect trade routes, getting resources and amazing trade route bonuses. Make it so they are demanding, be it techs or resources or war. Give each one a special unique building, so that you could potentially take over their city to obtain the guild for yourself. This should give you a permanent bonus but also have you lose something (perhaps you gain resources but lose the amazing trade route bonuses).

@Verdian: Yeah, but then it would be basically a clone of what happens when someone summons the mercurians and infernals into the game...

Thanks to you and Kael and the dev teams, et al, I don't play vanilla BTS. :D So, I don't have the dislike for the Espionage system that you have voiced in the past, probably because I don't know much about it.

It would be nice if there were an active element involved with Guilds, but I agree that it should not be something that overshadows, or takes too much time away from, actual game play dealing with the broader Win Condition conflict.

Basically, any AI(including allied ones) can send people into your cities to destroy all of your hammers toward any building or unit, take your gold, or steal techs. This was modified by certain buildings and was annoying because ai players always seem to have a good supply of espionage.

It was not too bad of a mechanic to use on small nations near the endgame to provoke into a war. Though it takes a while....:cringe:

to be opposite of the alchemist guild you have in mind, bring back Gaelans guild,

I guess the guild would have trade-offs for research, like unhappy for every alchemy lab in the town, plus another for just being in the city

maybe a boost to the effectiveness of casting spells but taking away strength in real combat, is there already a promotion for that? eh whatever thats my 2 cents

You could steal a page from CivV. Make each guild an AI controlled city that is randomly founded each each game (depending on map-size). You can be friendly with them and connect trade routes, getting resources and amazing trade route bonuses. Make it so they are demanding, be it techs or resources or war. Give each one a special unique building, so that you could potentially take over their city to obtain the guild for yourself. This should give you a permanent bonus but also have you lose something (perhaps you gain resources but lose the amazing trade route bonuses).

Think a little bolder, and you almost have what we have in mind.

That said, no cities. Unless we want a specific faction to have one. Keep in mind, we're using this same mechanic for cults, internal factions, minor civs...

Think a little bolder, and you almost have what we have in mind.

That said, no cities. Unless we want a specific faction to have one. Keep in mind, we're using this same mechanic for cults, internal factions, minor civs...

But wouldn't that have a pretty huge impact on the CtD rate, adding that many new ai controlled "groups"?:confused:

Top Bottom