A New Dawn on Earth and the Space Adventure II

Phylhom

King

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/aircraft/Space-Shuttle.html

A NEW DAWN ON EARTH AND THE SPACE ADVENTURE II

Welcome to my first pbem game!

I had already created a PBEM game with the same title, but as we had some problems, I decided to create this new game.

The game will be played with the mod Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn 1.75C

The mod is incredible!!! There are several new technologies, units, terrains, resources, diplomatic and trade options, and much more. It is a totally different experience than regular BTS!!!

Some features of the mod:

Spoiler :
Current 1.75 Features:

New Game Options
Game Options are selected in the custom game screen.

Multiple Production

Multiple Production allows cities to produce more than one building or unit whenever possible. If a city has overflow production from the last item, it will be applied to the next item in the city queue. If the overflow production is enough to complete the next item, this process repeats. With large military cities, you can easily create multiple missiles or infantry units in one turn.

Multiple Research

The same concept as Multiple Production. If you have enough overflow beakers from your last research project to complete the next technology in the queue, you will research multiple technologies in one turn.

Usable Mountains

Usable Mountains transforms peaks from wasted space to strategic chokepoints and useful industrial locations. Resources can and will spawn on peaks, and units will be able to move over peaks after you have researched Mountaineering. After researching Algebra, cities can be constructed on peaks. Peaks now give 3 , but no food or commerce. Any improvements that can be built on hills can be built on peaks as well.

There is a new promotion, Mountaineering, available to Great General units. With it, all the units in the group will be able to cross over peaks without the aid of the Mountaineering tech. Peaks offer units a 75% defense bonus, the largest in the game.

Fixed Cultural Borders

Fixed Cultural Borders completely changes the way borders worked. Instead of Culturally-Driven borders, Military force and might dictate the spread of borders. With Fixed Borders, Units have new command "claim territory" that you can apply in an enemy territory. You claim it, next turn the plot is inside your borders. In order to recapture it, enemy must place his forces on that plot and do the same ("claim territory").

When capturing cities, you get all the territory that the city 'provides' to its original owner. So when you're at war with someone and capture all his cities, you will get ALL his territory, up to the last plot (there's only one exception to this rule - the tiles that are not 'provided' by cities, but claimed by force can remain in the old civ, but for sure they can't go to other neighboring civ that is neutral in war). In order to keep all this territory you need only the military force. No neighbor of his that is at peace with both sides can benefit from the war. If someone wants that territory – he must declare war and capture it or trade for it (city trading, like in normal game).

During a war, if a tile has more of your tiles surrounding it than the enemys, it is claimed automatically, if no enemy units are defending it. This makes the borders less shredded at the end of war.

If you are not using a civic that "forces" fixed borders, the game acts as before (i.e. the culture defines borders) and once a player has the necessary civics all of his territory becomes ‘fixed’, no one can take it by culture means anymore and his units get the new command to execute when in enemy territory (‘claim territory’). The player still culturally expands his borders over unoccupied territory and over nations that don’t have fixed borders (think of the Roman Empire that enforced its own borders, but influenced the surrounding tribes that had no solid state formed).

Surround and Destroy

Surround and Destroy gives attack bonuses for surrounding enemy forces. The more units you have around and enemy, the larger the bonus, up to the maximum of 60%. Particularly useful for sieging medieval cities.

Advanced Diplomacy

Advanced Diplomacy vastly changes the way diplomacy works from standard Civilization. Many new trading options are added, each with their own benefits, and potential disadvantages.

Embassies

Nations can now establish embassies in other nations. Embassies improve diplomatic relations between countries, but be warned; revoking a foriegn embassies rights will have disastrous diplomatic repercussions with the other nation. Embassies also allow the trade of Military Units and Workers between countries. In addition, Embassies are now required to unlock higher diplomatic functions with other nations, namely, Open Borders Agreements and Defensive Pacts. Be warned, Embassies allow for enemy spies to more easily complete their missions in your country.

Right of Passage

When players research Writing, they can request to have a Right of Passage agreement between two civilizations. The agreement is similar to open borders, in that it allows foreign trade, but the agreement only allows for defensive units to pass through the nations. Offensive units will not be able to enter the territory.

Trading Military Units

Certain Military units, like siege machines can be traded, with Advanced Diplomacy. To be traded, each player must have an embassy in the other players nation. Each tradable unit will be marked in it's respective civilopedia entry with "This unit is tradable."

Trading Workers

Workers, can be traded, with Advanced Diplomacy. To be traded, each player must have an embassy in the other players nation

Buying and Selling of Corporations HQ's

Nations, if they happen to own a corporation Headquarter, can also sell it to other nations, where it will be automatically moved to one of their cities. If a nation does not own the particular Corporation Headquarter, they can offer to buy it from the owner.

Trading Contact with Other Civilizations

Nations can buy and sell contact with other civilizations that they have not yet met. It allows you to meet civilizations who you would not otherwise be able to trade with for many centuries.

Barbarian Generals

Barbarian Generals allows units to gain Great General experience from combat with Barbarians. It also allows barbarians to get experience as well, and they will be able to spawn their own Barbarian Great Generals.

Assimilation

When you capture an enemy city, it retains the personality of the former owner. The conquering player will be able to build the former owner's Unique Unit and Unique Buildings in that city instead of their own.

Ruthless AI

The ultimate challenge. Ruthless AI removes any human aspects from the AI, making them cold, calculating, and cunning. The AI will expand strategically into nearby targets, destroy threats, and use diplomacy to it's advantage. Watch small border conflicts flare up into International conflicts, with the entire world arrayed against you.

Great Commanders

Great Commanders are a new use of Great Generals. While players will still be able to attach Generals to units or settle them in cities, they will also be able to use the general unit in stacks, and have Great Generals receive XP from successful combat in nearby tiles. Great Generals will be able to earn promotions from this XP, and the promotions will boost the stats of all nearby units. Other promotions can extend the command range of the general (the radius in which the general's effects may be felt) or the amount of effects the promotions provide.

Realistic Culture Spread

Culture will spread in a more realistic fashion, more quickly over low lying lands, like plains and grasslands, and slower over heavily forested hills and peaks.

New Content

Guilds

Guilds are a medieval variant of corporations. There are twelve total guilds, part of three separate branches, the Servant Guilds, the Victualers Guilds, and the Craft Guilds. Each of the twelve guilds offers separate benefits to cities that incorporate them, be it health, happiness, production, science, or wealth. Spreading guilds is identical to spreading corporations, except it doesn't cost money. Guilds will, however, incur maintenance fees; the best way to alleviate these fees is to use the "Guilds" economic civic. Guilds are very useful for increasing city production or making your cities happy and healthy. Most guilds become obsolete in the Industrial Era.

Modern Corporations

Modern Corporations expands the amount of Corporations in the late game. Corporations that give increased military training and experience are useful for catch-up. Other corporations can give happiness, health, culture, science, commerce, or espionage against rivals.

Advanced Nukes

Advanced Nukes expands the nuclear arsenal available to players, allowing players to access advanced biological weapons, and nuclear weapons that can destroy entire continents. Chemical and Germ warfare can be used, to ruin even coastal land, and utterly annihilate a city to nothing. Advanced Nukes provides the finest and latest gear in the art of destruction.

Mastery Victory

Mastery Victory is the ultimate victory condition. Players must survive to the end of time, and be the most powerful player. Having cities with legendary culture, or constructing wonders adds to your final score. Spreading your religion to the most cities also boosts your score. The player with the highest score at the end of time wins.

Resource Depletion

Resource Depletion allows for heavily used non-renewable resources to deplete from the the game. Each turn, the game measure how much you are using a resource, and based on your usage, the chance of depletion changes. As you rely more and more on a particular resource, the odds of it depleting increase.

In Addition to this, mines without any resource also have a small chance of depleting. When a mine depletes, no mines can be built on top of the tile ever again. While this will rarely happen in the early game, by the late game, players will be forced to re-adjust their strategies if they relied too heavily on mines for their production.

To balance this, Players with Resource Depletion installed will also have an increased chance of discovering resources.

There are a new version of the mod under development and it will be even better, but it has some bugs yet and new things are being added each week. So it is better the utilization of the 1.75C version that is a stable and finished project.

To install the mod, follow all the steps below, exactly as described (it is very important!!!):

Spoiler :
Procedure to install the mod:

1- Steam users must configure the original release option on steam platform. To do this, follow the steps on the link (If you aren't a steam user, go to the next step):

2- Download the file "ROM-AND-MULTI.zip" on the link:

3- Extract the file. The result of this procedure will be a folder named "ROM-AND-MULTI"

4- Move the folder "ROM-AND-MULTI" to:

- "C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods (non steam users), or

- "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods" (steam user).

Atention!!! Don't do it to the folder "C:\Users\...\Documents\My Games\beyond the sword\MODS"

5- On that mod, we will play only multiplayer pbem games, due to this, don't change the options on "BUG mod" button in the game.

5.1- If you want to play the mod in Single Player mode too, you must duplicate the mod's folder and rename it to "ROM-AND-SINGLE" (uppercase).

It is necessary to avoid interferences on configurations of the BUG Mod, between multiplayer and single player games.

Logically, the multiplayer games will be played with "ROM-AND-MULTI", and the single player games with "ROM-AND-SINGLE".

6- Load the Mod ("multi" version) and try to open the file:

7- Click over the Bug Options Button and check if the options in "A New Dawn" tab are like on this image:

Bug Options - A New Dawn Tab.jpg

8 - If you can open the saved file with no problems or error messages, and the options on BUG screen, "A New Dawn" tab, is identical to the image, the mod was successfully installed!

Facts:

1- If you face the message "The save file you have selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your mod folder have not been changed", when trying to open the saved file, Admin Password has nothing to do with it, even though error message leads you to believe otherwise. This is a known problem -- when one does not have clean install of BTS and/or of the particular mod -- it will give you this error message. If one does not remember which files where modified the only solution is to reinstall BTS and/or the mod.
(Tigranes, http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=547649&page=3, post #47)

2- The PBEM game will be played using the honor system! The quoted options and procedures must be followed!

Let's go to the game:

The Settings:

Spoiler :
Number of Players: 18 (Humans + AI)
Map: Earth2
Size: Standard
Climate: Rocky
Sealevel: Medium
Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal

Victory Conditions:

Spoiler :
Space Race

Other Options:

Spoiler :
PBEM Options:

City Flipping after Conquest
No Technology Trading
No Technology Brokering
Permanent Alliances
Barbarian World
No TechDiffusion
Multiple Production
Multiple Research
Usable Mountains
Fixed Cultural Borders
Surround and Destroy
Advanced Diplomacy
Unlimited Wonders
Barbarian Generals
Great Commanders
Advanced Economy
Realistic Culture Spread
Larger Cities
Religion Decay
United Nations
Advanced Espionage
Expanded Castles
Artic and City Parks
Meteorology
Civic Buildings
Early Buildings
Historical Wonders
Guilds
Modern Corporations
Advanced Nukes

BUG Options:

Resource Depletion
Better Air Interception
Dynamic XP
War Prizes
Realistic Diplomacy
Terrain Damage
Terraforming
Reforestation
Sea Tunnels

Considerations:

I think the map Earth2 provides an interesting mixture of Continents, Oceans, Islands and the possibility to explore the new world and to have some vassals.

The standard size and the high number of 18 players (Humans + AI -- Let's see how many players will be interested) provides a dynamic game with early contacts and diplomacy. The players will need a cooperative relationship with your neighbors to share and to trade resources, units, cities, military bases (forts now have culture points and, with the fixed cultural borders option, can function like a military base) and interests. There will be little room for so many civilizations!

The rocky climate provides an earthier planet with glaciers, tundra, deserts, ice, that will be useful with the new buildings and features of the mod.

The space race victory, as unique victory condition, despite extend the game, ensures that mostly parts and contents of the game will be played, as well as the United Nations option ensure that all resolutions and international decisions will be present, but without diplomatic victory.

Finally, the intention of the game is not to give to the players the same initial chance, with equal resources, equivalent terrains or starting units, but to stimulate the diplomacy, cooperation and trading between the several nations, making the game and the necessities of the players much more interconnected and globalized.

I think the most fun and pleasurable part of the game will not be to reach the victory condition itself, but interact with other civilizations, sharing common interests and goals and opposing it to your rivals. Cooperation will be the key to survive!

Several strategies will be tested and a vast content will be worked!

This will be an exciting and challenging pbem game!

It is recommendable to test and familiarize yourself with the new universe of the mod. Many things must be rediscovered and understood.

Everyone is welcome!

The Civilizations and Leaders will be established by requisition order.

Last edited:
Actualized table of players:

Order / Player / In Game Name / Civilization / Leader
1 / Phylhom / Phylhom / America / Roosevelt
2 / Alvarez / Alvarez / Aztec / Montezuma
3 / Hercules90 / Hercules90 / Egypt / Ramesses II
4 / Matti / Mandritto / Sumeria / Gilgamesh
5 / Sinimusta / Nighthawk419 / Netherlands / Willem van Oranje
6 / Rodrigo Costa / Psza / Greece / Alexander
7 / Imperator Knoedel / Imperator Knoedel / Siam / Mongkut

Last edited:
I think I'm interested to play this, just....

you're saying I have to enable Direct IP to install this modification? .... really? Are you sure? How is that relevant?

I think I'm interested to play this, just....

you're saying I have to enable Direct IP to install this modification? .... really? Are you sure? How is that relevant?

Hi Horseshoe_Hermi!

I have no explanation for it. But in our tests we realized that, apparently, with that option activated, we had not the protected assets error message (we aren't sure).

Please, proceed as described in the post, to install the mod and test the saved file available.

Notify me if you have successfully opened it.

Welcome to our pbem!

So I followed every instruction you put in this post, including deleting all of my previous rise of mankind files and re-downloading everything. I still got the protected assets error. I'm not going to re-install BTS from scratch again, because honestly, I have a ton of PBEMs, most of which are mods already, so it will be a huge pain in the ass to do all that again just to get this PBEM working. Especially since we don't have anyone else to confirm that it has worked for them. So I'm going to have to bail on this one. Good luck with it and sorry I couldn't join.

So I followed every instruction you put in this post, including deleting all of my previous rise of mankind files and re-downloading everything. I still got the protected assets error. I'm not going to re-install BTS from scratch again, because honestly, I have a ton of PBEMs, most of which are mods already, so it will be a huge pain in the ass to do all that again just to get this PBEM working. Especially since we don't have anyone else to confirm that it has worked for them. So I'm going to have to bail on this one. Good luck with it and sorry I couldn't join.

Hi Nighthawk! What a pity! It would be very interesting your participation! But I agree, it would be a hard work reinstall everything!

We can reflect about the option to play without admin password (I could manage the passwords. It would have the same effects of a admin password, although this not be the best solution).

Hm, Nighthawk, where do you have Civ4 installed? Program Files?

C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods

C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Can it be the cause of the problem? My mod is instaled in:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods"

The save was successfully opened on my two notebooks and Kruver's notebook. Detail: The three machines are with the steam version.

Oh for crying out loud people, never install any games you might play with mods under Program Files. >.<

You see, since Windows Vista Windows has this little thing called "User Account Control", which basically prevents unauthorized access to your program files folder, which is good to keep malware from getting into it, but bad when you, the user, want to do something in it without a dedicated setup tool, which can be especially annoying when you are trying to get a mod to run, and even worse when you want to mod yourself.

To get around this you have either two possibilities:

1. De-install whatever program is giving you issues from Program Files and re-install it somewhere else, in the case of Civ4 I for example use a folder called "Games" right in the C drive.
2. Whenever you want to do something in Program Files you deactivate User Account control (lookie at this here link), turning it back on when you are done. Both activating and deactivating requires a reboot to be implemented.

I'm actually surprised UAC hasn't given you problems until now with all the mods you are running.

If you go for the reinstallation option I think kiwitt has a thread somewhere (linked in his signature) on how to properly install Civ4, I'm not sure if it's just what I suggested with installing it somewhere outside of Program Files or if he has any additional tips, but I'd recommend giving it a look anyway just to be sure.

Edit: Oh and honest condolences to the people with the Steam version. Sucks to be you I guess.

I have Windows 7. Which is why every other mod works just fine.

You see, since Windows Vista Windows has this little thing called "User Account Control", which basically prevents unauthorized access to your program files folder, which is good to keep malware from getting into it, but bad when you, the user, want to do something in it without a dedicated setup tool, which can be especially annoying when you are trying to get a mod to run, and even worse when you want to mod yourself.

You see, since Windows Vista Windows has this little thing called "User Account Control"

since Windows Vista

Windows 7 has User Account Control as it came out after Windows Vista, which introduced it. Windows XP was the last Windows OS which didn't have it. All Windows OS after XP have UAC, including the one you are running.

Like I said, I'm actually surprised you haven't run into any issues with it before. Then again most mods you got upon my input, and I probably always made sure you deactivate UAC before any other instructions. Guess that's what I get from throwing fish at you instead of telling you to learn how to fish.

Edit: Oh and honest condolences to the people with the Steam version. Sucks to be you I guess.

Why the steam version is so poor? Can you explain to me? I am not a very experienced gamer!

Windows 7 has User Account Control as it came out after Windows Vista, which introduced it. Windows XP was the last Windows OS which didn't have it. All Windows OS after XP have UAC, including the one you are running.

Like I said, I'm actually surprised you haven't run into any issues with it before. Then again most mods you got upon my input, and I probably always made sure you deactivate UAC before any other instructions. Guess that's what I get from throwing fish at you instead of telling you to learn how to fish.

True that. Anyway, I've never had to deactivate UAC. Its Windows 7, but also a corporate laptop with its own modifications done by our IT team. I've never once had to ask permission to do anything on my machine, I am the administrator and everything I do, works. The whole corporate laptop thing could be an issue in general, but I have plenty upon plenty of mods and never once had an issue like this... :lol: thats a lie, but I've never had to completely reinstall BTS, its always been an issue with the download and how I go about unzipping and installing it, never been about the BTS installation.

Why the steam version is so poor? Can you explain to me? I am not a very experienced gamer!

I don't really know because I don't have it, but what I hear is that the download is through a separate steam app, the game runs through the same steam app, and you essentially don't have direct access to the software you purchased, correct?

True that. Anyway, I've never had to deactivate UAC. Its Windows 7, but also a corporate laptop with its own modifications done by our IT team. I've never once had to ask permission to do anything on my machine, I am the administrator and everything I do, works. The whole corporate laptop thing could be an issue in general, but I have plenty upon plenty of mods and never once had an issue like this... :lol: thats a lie, but I've never had to completely reinstall BTS, its always been an issue with the download and how I go about unzipping and installing it, never been about the BTS installation.

That's not true. At the very least you had to deactivate it whenever I gave you some new files for Knoedelicious.

I don't really know because I don't have it, but what I hear is that the download is through a separate steam app, the game runs through the same steam app, and you essentially don't have direct access to the software you purchased, correct?

Kinda. My problem with the Steam version of Civ4 is that it's slightly different from the final version before GameSpy shut down, and it messes up PBEMs and PitBoss. You can get around that by using what in the Steam Library is called the Beta Version of Civ4 though. With regards to the issue at hand and mods in general it's basically the same problem you are having only on a grander scale, in that it's Steam that's installed in Program Files and all its games along with it, so I'm afraid someone using the Steam version might have to reinstall that somewhere else too before doing the same with Civ4, and indeed all their Steam games.

Nope, never had to. I just always skipped that step and probably didnt tell you. :lol:

Wait what? :eek:

Oh for crying out... maybe you turned it off once and just never turned it back on again? Or maybe that was done by your corporation, but why would they want to disable UAC? I'm figuring outside of the IT department a corporation would want it active for all their employees so someone computer illiterate wouldn't fill their PCs with malware.

Imp. Knoedel, was you able to open the save? Or you will can do it only If I reinstall the steam and the civilization in the "C:\Games" folder and create a new save?

Wait what? :eek:

Oh for crying out... maybe you turned it off once and just never turned it back on again? Or maybe that was done by your corporation, but why would they want to disable UAC? I'm figuring outside of the IT department a corporation would want it active for all their employees so someone computer illiterate wouldn't fill their PCs with malware.

That could be true. And I don't know... it could also be because I'm the exception to the rule. Most employees don't get laptops. I got special permission :cool: I also have a few friends in IT, so while I don't ask them for civ-specific IT issues, a few of them know I have/play civ on it and don't care. :goodjob:

Top Bottom