Choose Religions

MrBojangles4

Chieftain
Does anyone else always play with choose religions on? Even though it doesn't really impact anything, I think its interesting to see the world have different religions as opposed to half of the world being Buddhist and the other half Hindu. It's also interesting to see which AI's prefer which religion when they found one.

Yes. It gives an indication which leaders could be in the game and when going for a cultural victory you want to found a religion which gives a 100% discount towards cathedrals.

Different religions have different resources that provide a discount (actually a 100% boost to :hammers: ) to producing cathedrals.

Yes I always turn this on. It's nice to see most civs having historically accurate religions.

The Cathedral idea is nice. I never thought about that before.

I also always play with this. Nice to see Christianity, Islam and Confucianism get the dominant Religions sometimes and not always Judaism or Buddhism.

I see the point with the cathedrals - resources (this problem has had me abolish some of the isolation games because it was just not feasible to get the cathedrals without bronze and/or marble). But what does it tell about the leaders? How do they take their pick? Mansa picks Islam etc.?
I started one game where this was checked and found it very confusing because (I think) xtianity was founded at an ridiculously early date (of course it simply was the 2nd or 3rd religion). I actually found it harder because one has to count the religions to know whether it still makes sense to get Philosophy ASAP or if it is already taken.

Founding religions gives you the current tech advance of unseen civilizations. This information might or might not be important.

"Choose religions" will make you unable to distinguish between Christianity and Confucianism in particular. And Christianity will point to the probable AP builder.

@shpeka: Exactly- one gets LESS information then with "rigid" religions. But from some remarks further above I got a different impression, namely that one can draw conclusions about the AI if religions can be chosen. I do not understand this.

Most AIs have a favorite religion defined in their personality XML. If the favorite religion is available they'll choose that one if "choose religions" is checked. So you get some information and lose some.

Overall though this option is mostly just flavor.

I don't like that it messes up knowing the AIs tech advances, and also who is most likely to build the AP.

I used to use choose religion a lot before but now i hardly use it because the option doesnt make a real change since all religions work the same way.

Top Bottom