Some Garrison advice please!

Another piece of advice that's quite effective, especially on the large maps you are playing on:
Rather than walk a new scout all the way to the city that needs a garrison, shuffle each of the other scouts along one starting from the city that's closest to the city that needs the garrison. This may be too much micro management for some, but it does work well.

Good advice but I shouldn't need that much management - my three biggest production cities are all in hub positions around my territory and a Scout would take a maximum of two turns to get to any city in my Empire via my road network. Just ten turns now away from Oligarchy and the option of the Scout Garrison in each city will be mine! Three cities can each produce a Scout in 2-3 turns...

Good advice but I shouldn't need that much management - my three biggest production cities are all in hub positions around my territory and a Scout would take a maximum of two turns to get to any city in my Empire via my road network..

Hmmm...

I've got to wonder how one maintains such a hub topography at a time when Scouts are still producible, or to ensure that each city in the empire is only two turns away from major production centers.

When I am using cheap Scout garrisons for the happiness/culture bonus, it is usually because I'm pursuing a domination victory, which means I preserve much of my conquered territory's decidedly un-hublike transportation network to save time. It's not uncommon for conquered cities to be more than four-five turns away from a major production center.

I suppose it's possible with promoted Scouts and Railroads, but you can't produce Scouts by the time you can build Railroads. I suppose it's possible to create a viable hub topography if the number of puppeted cities in the empire is significantly less than two or three times the number of production centers, or on small maps.

:: shrugs ::

EDIT: D'oh! I meant "topology", not "topography".

Top Bottom