Newbie Questions

Grey Wolf

Chieftain
Just got the game :) and am playin my first Game as the americans on Chieftan. I am in the late middle ages in 1350 something and in democracy and have some questions.
How to make more money I have the smiths trading co wonder and banks in all cities and roads in all the squares.?

The best way to wage war in democray?(half my cities start rioting as soon as I declare war)

The best wonders to build for the rest of the game?

What to use any great leaders for?

When to stop expanding?

Thanks in advance.

You know, there is a Quick Answers thread stickied at the top of this page for exactly these kinds of questions.

War in Democracy - Have them declare on you. Make sure you have plenty of luxuries and marketplaces to boot. Use the lux slider (the one on the bottom in your F1 advisor screen) instead of entertainers. This will keep your production high.

More money - Get more cities. More cities = more marketplaces/banks = more $$$.

Wonders - Forget 'em. Let the AI build them and take them all.

Great leaders - too complicated to get into quickly. However, use them to rush wonders you have available to build or build amies and load them with your best offensive units.

When to stop expanding - when there's no more room to add cities.

Welcome to CFC! :)

Grey Wolf said:
Just got the game :) and am playin my first Game as the americans on Chieftan. I am in the late middle ages in 1350 something and in democracy and have some questions.
How to make more money I have the smiths trading co wonder and banks in all cities and roads in all the squares.?

What's your population like? By the late middle ages you should have 20 or so cities (assuming standard map size), and most of them should be close to or at population 12. If many of your cities are much smaller, or if you don't have very many cities, you won't be making as much money as you could be. Consider a war against a neighbor for a bit more territory if the latter is your problem. If it's the former, you'll need aqueducts to get past size 6 in any city that's not on fresh water. If you have a coastal city that's not able to grow due to lack of decent land tiles, build a harbor there and have it work the sea for much more cash. Irrigate if necessary to get a town to grow, even if it costs you a little production for a while.

Selling your techs, luxes and resources for gold is a good way to fund your empire in general, but chieftain civs are so broke it doesn't work well on that level.

Have you build the forbidden palace yet? Doing so will decrease corruption in some of your towns, which should help. You need at least 10 cities to build it if you're playing on a standard size map. (8 cities pre-Conquests.)

The best way to wage war in democray?(half my cities start rioting as soon as I declare war)

The best all-around government is civ3 is republic. It's harder to wage war in demo, although it can be done. If you're having problems with war weariness, try the following:

1. Make sure you wait 20 turns after signing peace before you go to war against the same civ again. You can check this by opening diplomacy with that civ and clicking on "active deals". If there's a number in parenthesis after "Peace Treaty", it's too soon -- wait out the number of turns shown.
2. When you do go to war, try not to stay in it for long. Amass sufficient forces to attain your objective in as few turns as possible, and sign peace as soon as the objective is obtained. If you care about your reputation, this will generally mean avoiding military alliances.
3. Try to wage war primarily during the times in the game when offense has a large advantage -- the biggest of these in the middle ages is cavalry (attack 6) versus muskets (defense 4), unless you have a large tech lead or can take advantage of a civ that lacks critical resources (knights romp over spearmen, for example).

Theory of Evolution is a terrific wonder at higher levels, but you'll hardly need it here. Hoover Dam is also fantastic. UN is almost mandatory, unless you can be sure everybody else hates the civ that does build it. The rest you can ignore, unless you really really want to build them.

What to use any great leaders for?
Need more info. What version are you playing? Conquests, PTW, or original Civ3? The answer's different, depending.

When to stop expanding?
Short answer: when you win by domination. When you run out of room to expand peacefully, expand via pointy stick. :) But if you want one of the other victory types, and don't feel like warring too much, expand until you're stronger than anyone else in terms of population and production. On a standard map, provided none of the other civs goes on a successful rampage, this is maybe 30 cities. It's certainly possible to win with fewer, though.

Thanks in advance.

You're welcome.

Renata

Grey Wolf said:

Check out Ision's article in the war academy on Wonder Addiction found here. Since you are just starting out, I think that it would be best to read and go with the "No Building Wonders" attitude until you get a handle on the basic game mechanics first.

Grey Wolf said:
When to stop expanding?
I'd say when the game come up and says that you've won.

Thanks for all the info:) I now know I need to start expanding again(only got 15 cities) And perhaps thinking about taking some land via pointy stick. I am playing Civ3C and yes have so far been guilty of terrible wonder addiction. btw I've just entered industrial age whats the best Tech to research now and would it be worth the time in anarchy to change government?
Thanks again

Grey Wolf

Hey Grey Wolf there's an excellent article in the strategy articles section written by Moonsinger: how to wage a war effectively on a democratic government. check that article.

Well, when I hit the IA I like to go Steam Power -> Industrialization (for factories and Universal Sufferage) then bee-line to Scientific Method. If I've done it right, I've got a pre-build going for Theory of Evolution, and can complete it by the time I finish Scientific Method. That will Catapult me to Electronics, which will get me the Hoover Dam. Then go for Replaceable Parts, to get Rubber/Infantry/Faster workers. From there, start building up for Motorized Transportation, and Tanks.

Of course, you can go how you like. This just seems to work for me. By the time I get into the IA, I can generally build these wonders before the AI. And if not, like you said, get them via the pointy stick method.

Top Bottom