Essex class Carrier (US WWII Aircraft Carrier)

GeneralMatt

Emperor
Here it is, been a while since the request. I do not think anyone else has done it yet, but no matter.

I believe this was the class that was used a lot in the Pacific versus the Japanese.

It uses the default Carriers animations.

Download

Edit: As noted by woodelf below there was a small patch on the flight deck that was a bit blurry. That is now rectified.

It's pretty. I wish I could zoom in on that screenie and take a better look. :)

edit - blurry spot fixed.

Ah, thank you. I even know what caused it, a little "shortcut" I forgot to fix on that end.. do you think it is major enough to warrant a redo? I probably should to be thorough.

Edit: Nevermind, V.2 is in the works already..

I believe the was the class of the Yorktown, Hornet and other carriers used a lot in the Pacific versus the Japanese.
Great model Matt!

For the record, the Enterprise was one of the three members of the "Yorktown" class of fleet carriers. The three Yorktowns (Yorktown, Enterprise & Hornet), along with the Saratoga and Lexington were the big fleet carriers of the Pacific and were the heaviest units operating in the early stage of the war.

The largest class of major fleet carriers was the "Essex" class... of which there were many... the Essex class carried the battle to Japan and were the largest (in number built) class of fleet carriers ever made.

Looks like your model is of CV-9... the Essex... Enterprise was CV-6 (almost got confused with your markings).

Yorktown Class (CV-6 Enterprise)

Essex Class (CV-9 Essex)

Ok, thank you for the clarification, I am not up too much on the components of the United State's Navy in the Pacific at that time.

Ok, major differences. :) Thanks for posting the blueprints. I might make use of it.. ;)
The markings were just what was on the image I used so don't blame me. :p

This is what I used for the colours and stuff.

It was from http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/cv/cv-09/700-dr/dragon-review.html

Matt... for a minute I had my bearings confused... got my "CV-6" confused with my "CV-9". CV-6 was the Yorktown class Enterprise, while CV-9 was the Essex class Essex. Your model and name is correct, though at first I thought you were talking about the Enterprise (since you seemed to be listing it as a sister-ship of the Yorktown and Hornet, which were Yorktowns, not Essex carriers).

The bottom-left carrier I thought said "CV-6", but I had my directions confused!

As for the Essex class... largest class of big carriers ever produced... 24 in all!

Matt... in your next update, you might want to consider leaving the number off... after all... you could end up with a fleet of five carriers all numbered "9".

Very nice work - definitely your best yet! I do have some suggestions for you though, and I think they'll help you out in the future:

-Delete all unecessary polys.
I openned the model up in Max to check, and as is the model has 1713 polys - not too bad really. You could cut this down a lot (possibly 500 or so) just by deleting all of the polys on the bottom of the unit. These will never be seen in game, and just take up space. You could also cut down on the hull polys by using different smoothing groups.

-Break the texture up.
You only use about half of the available texture space in the .dds file. Break the UVW map up a lot into smaller chunks - make the most visible parts of the carrier (hull, deck) take up the most space on the texture. Another good trick is to use parts of the unit (again- hull, deck) that are basically smaller sections with the same texture overlapped in the UVW.

The technique is there for you to make truely great units - you just need practice. If you ever want some help, send me a quick PM and I'll give you my messenger name so I can help you out more.

Again, great job!

-Smitty

Nice model, you even got the wooden flight deck down! :)
Ever considered doing a model of the Graf Zeppelin?

There's also the little-known small carrier the Germans were planning, the "Kleiner Flugzeugträger."

Unfortunately, there's not much information about this ship, other than it was planned to be about 6,000ft long (as opposed to the Graf Zeppelin's 12,000ft) and carry about 15 aircraft.

I 2nd the motion for a Graf Zeppelin model... that would be kick-arse!

Very nice unit. The only thing I can be picky on is the hull is much narrower than the deck. They should be ropughly same width.

wwwwoouuuaaaa!!!!:eek:
the nicest units since "Nautil". you are big!!! thank you:bowdown: :)

I would suggest recoloring those aircraft lifts. I can see there are blue in your reference picture. But it's kind of looking like there is a hole in the ship and you can see the water throught it :D

Other than this :goodjob:

GM is the daddy!

:D

very very nice unit, going to use it in my next update for the MOD.
do u want to make some more units I really need? ;)

I might, I have a few things already I have to do (More than models) but if you do not mind waiting mention them if you wish.

Matt... in your next update, you might want to consider leaving the number off... after all... you could end up with a fleet of five carriers all numbered "9".

Hmm, good idea, I will definitely consider that, though I always end up with large fleets of number "88" destroyer. :p

Very nice work - definitely your best yet! I do have some suggestions for you though, and I think they'll help you out in the future:

-Delete all unecessary polys.
I openned the model up in Max to check, and as is the model has 1713 polys - not too bad really. You could cut this down a lot (possibly 500 or so) just by deleting all of the polys on the bottom of the unit. These will never be seen in game, and just take up space. You could also cut down on the hull polys by using different smoothing groups.

-Break the texture up.
You only use about half of the available texture space in the .dds file. Break the UVW map up a lot into smaller chunks - make the most visible parts of the carrier (hull, deck) take up the most space on the texture. Another good trick is to use parts of the unit (again- hull, deck) that are basically smaller sections with the same texture overlapped in the UVW.

The technique is there for you to make truely great units - you just need practice. If you ever want some help, send me a quick PM and I'll give you my messenger name so I can help you out more.

Again, great job!

-Smitty

Thanks for the tips and encouragement, it means a lot coming from a master like yourself.

I tried to delete quite a few polygons on the bottom of the superstructure, and the top of the hull.
Also, I have not figured out smoothing groups yet. I am using Blender, would you be willing to put a quick idea of how you do it and I could try to figure it out using that, in Blender?

I had the texture in 512/256 format, but when I went to UV map it, Blender would make it skinnier and longer. That is because the only effective way I find to UV map it is to project the vertices from the view of the main editing screen. And since the texture was longer horizontally than it was vertically it automatically squishes it relative to the ratio of up and across. I also tried a 256/256 texture but it just wasn't enough.
I guess I should have used the deck parts over again as you said, but the texturing is still my weakest point so.. :) But I will remember all these things and try to get better at the whole thing.

Thanks again for the encouragement and the offer of help, I am sure that someday I will need it. :)

Nice model, you even got the wooden flight deck down! :)
Ever considered doing a model of the Graf Zeppelin?

There's also the little-known small carrier the Germans were planning, the "Kleiner Flugzeugträger."

Unfortunately, there's not much information about this ship, other than it was planned to be about 6,000ft long (as opposed to the Graf Zeppelin's 12,000ft) and carry about 15 aircraft.

Hmm, no cannot say I ever have considered it, but I probably can put it on my list, waiting times are almost as bad as the waiting times for doctors here in Canada, a month or so.. :p

Very nice unit. The only thing I can be picky on is the hull is much narrower than the deck. They should be ropughly same width.

Yes, it was hard to tell as I unfortunately did not find a front on view, I probably could have, but I was so anxious to get started.. :p

I would suggest recoloring those aircraft lifts. I can see there are blue in your reference picture. But it's kind of looking like there is a hole in the ship and you can see the water through it :D

Other than this :goodjob:

I noticed that to.. :lol: I might change it to white, or grey and get rid of those numbers at the same time.

I might, I have a few things already I have to do (More than models) but if you do not mind waiting mention them if you wish.

it's ok, i'm not planing my latest MOD version release in any nearest future, may be in month or two.

this what i badly need -

S300 - http://www.hellas.org/military/air_force/images/s300-2.jpg
Patriot - http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/program/patriot-dvic450.jpg
Camanche - http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/camanche.jpg
Puma - http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/6B207B61-4462-43D6-8D29-26A64A56C734/0/puma_531x352.jpg

and some more ;)

Yes! An alternate to the Patriot! I hate how all the modern equipment seems to just be American built, even if there's something more representative. After all, only a couple countries use the M1 Abrams, but TONS use the T-72 or even T-80. You should, however, make a point as to what version of the S-300 you want, the S-300PMU 'Grumble' (SA-10) or S-300V 'Gladiator' (SA-12). IMO, the S-300V looks sexier. :lol:

Hmm, no cannot say I ever have considered it, but I probably can put it on my list, waiting times are almost as bad as the waiting times for doctors here in Canada, a month or so.. :p
Hey, at least you can GET a doctor on your country's tab. Most of us in the States are SOL if we get sick and don't have insurance. :rolleyes:
Anyway, no rush. I wasn't making a request so much as just throwing out ideas.
Too bad there's no way to get models to change when you get a technology upgrade, so that civs aren't boating around in modern nuclear powered carriers while packed with piston-powered Spitfires during the 1930's.

Top Bottom