There will be a third expansion and/or more DLC for Civ5?

What do you think?

• There will be more DLC's AND an expansion

Votes: 67 11.8%
  • There will be DLC's but not an expansion

Votes: 225 39.5%
  • There will be an expansion, but not DLC's

Votes: 51 9.0%
  • Neither DLC's nor expansion

Votes: 107 18.8%
  • You're asking this way too early, JaGarLo...

Votes: 119 20.9%

• Total voters
In a Q&A, Firaxis has also said they disliked working on DLC, as the devs thought they were too limited in what they could do - they like new mechanics, et. al.

If we do get anything new (and I hope we do, because my computer can't handle a Civ6), I'm fairly confident it'll be in the form of an expansion.

If we do get anything new (and I hope we do, because my computer can't handle a Civ6), I'm fairly confident it'll be in the form of an expansion.

So say we all

The longer I play the Civ series, the more I realize how much I appreciate myriad civs to choose from. I didn't like the idea of the DLC model at first, but having a new civs every few months was exciting for me. If DLC means I can have more civs, I'll glad fork over $5 every few months.

I also love expansions. How could I not? G&K is brilliant, and BNW looks to continue the trend (not to mention how good BtS was for 4).

More of everything please!

I'm with you. Playing as different civs and getting to role play as that civ and see all their unique abilities and units and city names is my biggest thrill with this game. I love winning as each different civ and adopting very different strategies to do so. This didn't exist in the initial versions of the game like it does now, the only that changed is the city list. Now strategy and understanding of the game mechanics has to be constantly explored and it's an amazing depth unlike most any other game.

I don't expect more DLC and can't see more DLC coming. I could theoretically see another expansion though

Tldr.
I don't think there will be another expansion, but if their was one, something along these lines would be cool-
Rise of the masses:
- reintroduce a health mechanic but in an entirely separate way: each city would have 3 separate bars representing the various non-enemy induced nastinesses that can befall them. Plague would represent disease, and as the bar fills nearby military units will heal at a slower rate, as new recruits are harder to come by. Pestilence represents the atrophy of nations and the neglect of the land, causing tile yeild to slowly deplete. Famine will represent the death of the farm land and as the bar fills more food will be required to spawn a new citizen, as they would die more quickly. Each of these bars would rise with certain actions (new citizens, opening of mines, hidden coal/ uranium, etc) and each could be counteracted in different ways, such as new buildings and other actions (example: moving your workers around your cities constantly could slow pestilence as they make small scale repairs along the way)
- New tile improvement: canal. Unlocked at economics. Allows you to disembark naval units and move them about defenselessly on land, but only in canal hexes. Canals can be built on tiles with other improvements except roads. Either roads or canals, not both.
- increased options for "we love the king day". Rather than just "get rescource X", cities will set goals and tasks to be completed in a certain time frame by your civilization as a whole, such as "discover this technology in 60 turns" or "link us to city B" or " aqcuire the republic social policy" etc. this allow both for greater variety and greater depth in cities.
- add in new units to balance out all eras: ancient seige unit the "battering ram", renniasance 1 range musket infantry "marksmen", etc.
- 2 new non combat unit types: revolutionary and counter revolutionary. The revolutionary has 3 speed and may move freely through enemy terrain, invisible to all sides (still killed if enemy unit ends movement in his hex. When adjacent to militray units he can be sacrificed to turn the unit into a barbarian. When next to a city he can be sacrifices to put the city into anarchy for one turn. Next to a city state, he can cause a revolution, randomnly reassigning the city states loyalty with the various players. Lastly, he can pillage destroy missionaries/ great prophets without declaring war. The counter revolutionary hasa movement speed of 2, and has an ability whereby he can see revolutionaries up to spaces away and may kill him even though he is not a combat unit. When stationed in a city, the counter revolutionary negates 1 point of unhappiness, and makes city flipping require -22 unhappines rather than -20. Counter revolutionaries will be slightly cheaper than their trouble making brothers.
2 new great people types-
Great doctors can either set up a medical laboratory (+2 science, production, and +1 food, gold, culture, faith. As well, the 3 health bars decline are slowed somewhat. They can also be used once to reset all of a cities bar to maximum.
Great revolutionaries can either set up a rebel base in enemy territory (regularly spawns barbarians of most advanced civ's tech level. All adjacent civilizations units take -10 damage a turn. Can also be used one time against a non capitol city of two population or lower (+1 pop for era). City is instantly converted into a neutral militaristic city state.
- revamp these sides or make these minor changes.
America: change the minuteman from a musketman to a marksmen. Manifest destiny loses the 50% tile purchases, but gains some ability that aids american revolutionaries or harms enemy revolutionaries (not both). Makes more sense for how they were historically, and focuses america as a "city sacking" civ.
Huns: change battering ram to plague spreader (replaces catapult) would throw diseased bodies over enemy walls, slightly weaker, but ignores city defense bonuses and increases their plague bar.
Byzantium: begins the game with a pantheon + original patriarchate of constantinople.
Mongols: Mongol terror effect is changed to "all mounted units gain +1 speed. Any time a mongol ranged unit attacks a city, the city's plague, pestilence, or famine bars increase" random
India: changed to a religious side with a bonus to health.
- 7 new civs:
44.Olmec- culture/ science side
45.Sudan- Rex side with some advantage to fight against sickness (very big, non famine-y non-crumbly cities, for a desert)
46.Romania- Warfare/ defensive
47.Vietnam- cultural/ defensive, bonuses to revolutionary/ counter revolutionary.
48.Nepal- religous/ mountanous. Bonuses to new "we love the king day"
49.Pueblo- epionage/ mountanous. First purpous built espionage civ.
50.South Africa (black horsiest)- offense/ economics. Some trade route bonuses and an offensive great war unit to go up against the legion would fit nice

I would love a new expansion and some dlc, but I might be able to survive with just an expansion.
Please! Make More for Civ 5. Not Civ 6 Yet.

I actually would rather they work on something outside of civ entirely. It's time they take a break from the civ franchise, and work on other projects. I know they're already doing that with the mobile and touchscreen stuff, but they could work on other stuff for the PC (*cough* Alpha Centauri 2 *cough*).

As much as I like that they're adding new stuff with the expansions and adding to the roster of civs to play, I feel that after BNW it should be left for a full-fledged sequel (with all its own problems haha) some time down the line. That's just my opinion though.

If they do make another expansion, I would willingly buy it. Just the thought of some new civs is exciting enough. (Hurry up BNW). Any other changes would also be welcome.

I'm not sure how many new game system the game really needs. Sure, revolutions and health and stuff can be interesting, but I'm not sure if those things would not just simply be added 'on top' of. I don't think the civ cake needs anymore whipped cream. There are enough mods for that. [Also, it's unclear to me how to include such 'negative' systems into a game design that builds up mostly on 'no downsides' and fun.]

What I can see for civ is a few "content" packs, i.e. some new civs together with a few scenarios. A bit bigger than DLC, but no gameplay system as in a expansion pack. For example make one with more futuristic units. Include one that expands the naval units. A 'around the world' leader pack with lesser known leaders. Stuff like that.

And yes, give us something akin to Alpha Centauri 2 before the next civ game. Perfect opportunity to try new game system on a smaller scale ('1 scenario')

If it needs 100 more patches to make it work as its supposed to, they better grab the opportunity to add some content as well :lol:

I think DLCs are granted though.

I'm with you. Playing as different civs and getting to role play as that civ and see all their unique abilities and units and city names is my biggest thrill with this game. I love winning as each different civ and adopting very different strategies to do so. This didn't exist in the initial versions of the game like it does now, the only that changed is the city list. Now strategy and understanding of the game mechanics has to be constantly explored and it's an amazing depth unlike most any other game.

Same here. I started off only playing a select few Civs. But now I've come to appreciate every UA. The variety is fantastic and it gives it literally an endless amount of replay value. Best of all, the depth that comes along with each UA is fun to explore. People talk a lot about "synergy" but I don't believe it's a phrase to take too seriously - the fun of it is forcing your civ to work

Now we get 9 more. And I'd welcome even more, tentatively speaking of course

Also, from the immersion standpoint there comes a point every now and then when a leaderscreen pops up and I'm like "Wow...people are so different from each other. The stark contrast of outfits, languages, architecture...just amazing"

I really would like to come more DLCs or expansions, but in fact, I'm somewhat hopeful ... Before BNW, I thought that it would mark the end of the news to Civ V would be the arrival of the Zulu (and Portugal, too...), because civilization was perhaps most awaited by fans of the series, and when launched new civilizations and saw that Shaka was not there yet, we had sure after what surely would most civilizations, because Civ V could not be the only game in the series without the Zulus! Moreover, few civilizations will have the strength to be successful DLCs. But, let's hope...

I would like several DLC, but for scenarios as well as civs. I love playing scenarios, and there are some good options for double civ scenario packs, like Khmer and Vietnam in a SE Asian domination scenario or a South American Revolution scenario with both Gran Colombia and Argentina. That would work well in an expansion too, but I want as many scenarios as civ 4 had, which may be over demanding but I can dream.

I'm going to use Civ 4 as evidence - Colonization. I think that is the element not really concentrated on so far and the options are really quite strong

South Africa, Mexico, Canada, West Indies, Argentina, Gran Columbia, Australia have all had solid support from the fan base and there are Chile, Haiti and Cuba supporters as well. An expansion pack bringing in colonial civs would sell.

I can also see themed DLC packs.

I dont think Civ 6 is likely q4 2015 at the earliest. Later this year the two major consoles release updated versions which means 2014 will be heavily dedicated to production of new games for those platforms. In that situation the safest and easiest way forward is another lucrative expansion pack next year and then maybe some dlc before the civ 6 release either X-Mas 2015 or even more likely 2016. At the moment PC tech is emerging is still very clunky - from a game design point of view you dont want to bring out a game with either clunky tech or outdated tech so I think they will hold off until the tech for PC is either more stable or takes a lurch forward where they really get a huge gain by upgrading.

With Colonial civs as a possible expansion and some good choices for DLC packs available I think it makes sense to milk this cash cow for what it's worth rather than bringing out a new version at this time.

Oh some DLC's that would make sense

Belgium/Kongo
Vandals/Visigoths
Florence/Papal States
Vietnam/Khmer
Hittities/Phoenicia

There are lots of pairings that would make sense

In a Q&A, Firaxis has also said they disliked working on DLC, as the devs thought they were too limited in what they could do - they like new mechanics, et. al.

That's a little off actually. They said that the feedback from the community was that they'd rather have larger expansions with new mechanics to play with than small packs with nothing but civs, so they responded by shifting back to their old expansion strategy.

You know, in regards to corporations possibly coming back in a 3rd expansion, it might be cool to introduce an entirely new victory type: Economic.

Trade routes are the early mechanic, which allow you to develop corporations later on. Throw in a bonus for monopolies (say one country manages to gain control of all silk production).

Maybe Economic victory could be achieved by having a certain lifetime gold earned, or maybe by managing to completely control three luxuries?

It would certainly introduce a larger struggle for resources than there currently is.

You know, in regards to corporations possibly coming back in a 3rd expansion, it might be cool to introduce an entirely new victory type: Economic.

Trade routes are the early mechanic, which allow you to develop corporations later on. Throw in a bonus for monopolies (say one country manages to gain control of all silk production).

(...)

It would certainly introduce a larger struggle for resources than there currently is.
Yeah, stuff like this would be cool.

Likewise, diplomatic victory can be reworked to having as many DoFs as possible for as long as possible and trading as much as possible, just like Endless Space (which also has an economic victory that involves accumulating the most money).

Top Bottom