Frequently Asked Questions

deanej

Deity
When installing, I get the error "You must enter a full path with drive letter; for example: C:\APP or a UNC path in the form: \\server\share".
It looks like the registry entries that tell Windows where civ4 is installed do not exist on your system for some reason. Not really sure what to recommend; the only thing I can think of is to create a key INSTALLDIR in the registry at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword and set that key to where you have civ4 installed.

I need help editing the registry.
Click start, type regedit, hit enter, and click yes to the UAC prompt. Navigate to the location using the folder tree on the left (HKLM is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE); after a couple levels it becomes less intimidating mixed case (I seriously think the all caps portion is meant to scare away those who would break their machine by editing the registry just for fun). If you need to add any folders just right click and select new key. Once in the folder right click, select new string value, give it the name and double click it to set the path to where BtS is installed (the folder with the .exe file; typically C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV\Beyond the Sword).

The installer is placing stuff in the main BtS assets even though it said everything would go in the mod folder.
That's the way it's supposed to work. The scenarios are actually separate mods but they all share the same art and music; it's either place the art and music in the BtS assets or make Star Trek 10 GB in size. The installer doesn't say anything about this on the directory selection page because I don't want to confuse people.

How do I play a scenario?
Load the Star Trek mod and go to Single Player -> Play a scenario.

How do I know which version of Star Trek I'm running?
Go to Advanced -> About this Build in the main menu.

Why do some of the leaders have a different state religion when I meet them than the religion they get from their starting technology?
They may have discovered a tech for a different religion before the religions are founded. The tech they will research is influenced by their favorite religion.

What if I don't want the intro movie and/or the Final Frontier tutorial?
You can disable them via the options.

I just attacked a unit with my Kazon Torpedo and now it's gone. What gives?
The Kazon torpedo has a suicide attack. Win or lose, that ship won't see another battle.

I loaded the mod and there is no game test. I just get an empty menu.
You game is set to a language other than English; this is an English only mod. Changing the language setting (Advanced>Options) before loading the mod will fix the problem.

Why do the Values get founded all at once and not by technology like the help text says?
They do, but each civ starts with the knowledge of a value already. Most of the time, most (possibly all if Bajor is on the map) of these techs will already be known to another civ because they started with it. The only way to guarantee that you will get a value is to play as Bajor, as their value techs are unique to them and no other civs start with them.

Why can't I research the Subspace Corridor tech?
That tech is available only to the Vaadwaur and the Borg (they start with it).

I built the Krenim UB, but I have no plasma.
The plasma won't appear in any of your cities until you have researched the Cargo Holds technology.

Why can't I use the wormhole in the Deep Space Nine scenario?
The wormhole is not functional due ot balance issues - the AI doesn't know how to use wormholes, and a larger map would be required so that contact with the Dominion would not be made too early.

What if my question isn't answered here?
Post it in this thread!

Why don't radiation clouds disappear and supernovas turn into new solar systems after a period of time?

Why don't radiation clouds disappear and supernovas turn into new solar systems after a period of time?

Well, a supernova is an exploded star- it's the remains of a solar system.

I think you mean "nebula". ;)

And the answer is- because there isn't (yet?) a random event to do that.

I remember way back when I had my first attempt at random events in Star Trek where I had an event make a star explode into a supernova. Unfortunately I forgot about it when doing them again. There is an event to disperse radiation clouds though, but events only occur once per game (if they appear in a game at all) and even that's changed they will occur in the same place (one of the reasons events were put on hold).

At this point there are no plans for additions. If there's ever reason for me to make another patch I might re-add the supernova event though.

Maybe there could be a tech that would allow constrution ships to clean up the radiation clouds or collect them up and weaponize them. I do get what you mean when it comes to them disappearing after period of time because of the difficulty with random events. Thanks:goodjob:

I know I shouldn't talk about realism, but the process of a solar system forming from a supernova takes millions of years, far outside the scope of the game.

I couldn't find a bug thread, so here it is.

I'm playing the lastest version (I downloaded it today), but when I reload back in to a saved game for the scenario 22nd Century, all the buildings are missing from my planets. They are still in the list on the left of the city screen, but each individual planet has no buildings on it. I need to build all the nutritional and mining facilities, but all the 1 building per system ones are not buildable because they are already on the list on the left.

It appears to work fine for me. Do you have any more details?

There was a bug a while back in the older scenarios where starting buildings would only be put on planets for the first player. I also just re-uploaded the full installer recently, so you might have downloaded right as I switched the pages over. Could you check the version number in Advanced -> About this Build on the main menu? It should say 428. If it doesn't I can give you the link to the patch.

Yeah I have build 428.

I just loaded in then and now I have a Sun as the first planet of a system. Strangly enough, all the stuff I've rebuilt since the first reload is still there, even with this strange situation of a Sun being there.

I will try to upload a file.

Here is a save of the game with a twin solar system (looks cool) and the building bug.

Attachments

• Admiral Forrest AD-2173-June.CivBeyondSwordSave
    736.8 KB · Views: 344
There´s a changelog, but it looked obsolete (of an older version I mean). That´s why I wondered what´s changed in the final version, because I couldn´t find it.

Hello,

I recently got introduced to Civilization series. Before i used to play Alpha Centuri and that was a great game. Now i really like all the Civilization games. However to experience the best of Civilization, a user need to know the basics, what happens when you do something but in STAR TREK mod it is missing or maybe i am not looking at the right palce. Like for example - when you have a great prophet and it says that you can build deep space-9, it says your need to be a holy city and i tried to see what that means and have been unsuccessful. In another case, suddenly my rivals - Kazan and i think it is ferengin started doubling their point while i didn't see anything. i tried to change all my abses to do research, but no cahnge. Can somebody help me in understanding what are the vaious tactics with playing star trek .I always play at settler level because i want to enjoy the game.
Again thanks for all your help and such a great MOD.

Top Bottom