Pie's Ancient Europe

At first I would suggest to pretend the string "Platy Builder" over "Version=11" at the start of the WB file, but I doesn't test it.

I tried adding Platy Builder. I left Version=11 in, as many of the maps that work have that. Thanks, though.

Oh man,...

hard way to bring your map to work:
1. you don't need all 40 civs. only with the dll-file in your assets folder (from the pae extras folder). so 18 civs work without the dll.
start a 5000 BC map with your civs, make a WB file and copy the civs tags into your map. the civ-ID should be the same of your map.
2. is it an advanced scenario? then unit and building names could be changed

easy way but no great play with patch 3 changes:
download: PAE V patch 2
I could imagine, you'd better delete PAE first and unpack the Vanilla PAE V version before.

First, thanks for trying to help, and for giving me patch #2. Worst comes to worst, I can do a double-install and still have my map.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I understand your instruction #1. I should start a game with the specific civs & leaders that are on my map and then copy & paste the info from that into my map file? The thing is that as far as I can tell, I effectively did that already. I used the pre-made maps, which between them had all but 1 of the civs I was using. The only one I had to start a new game for was Caracatus of the Britons. I did that, though, so unless I'm blind I already got the info copied over. The only question is whether any of the leaders I'm using were removed...

I can try again though! It's worth it, considering how much time I spent making this map.

Should I remove teams/civs 18-40? Maybe adding that bit in was a bad idea?

#2: no, it's not advanced. It starts from the beginning, with each civ having nothing but settlers, warriors, and in the case of a couple of civs, a hunter.

Thanks!

Examples of what's in there now:

Platy Builder
Version=11
BeginGame
Era=ERA_ANCIENT
Speed=GAMESPEED_NORMAL
Calendar=CALENDAR_DEFAULT
Option=GAMEOPTION_AGGRESSIVE_AI
Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_TECH_BROKERING
Victory=VICTORY_CONQUEST
Victory=VICTORY_DOMINATION
Victory=VICTORY_CULTURAL
Victory=VICTORY_DIPLOMATIC
Victory=VICTORY_RELIGION
Victory=VICTORY_7_WONDERS
GameTurn=0
MaxTurns=1100
MaxCityElimination=0
NumAdvancedStartPoints=1800
TargetScore=0
StartYear=-5000
Description=
ModPath=

BeginPlayer
Team=0
LeaderType=LEADER_VESPASIAN
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_VESPASIAN
CivDesc=TXT_KEY_CIV_ROME_DESC
CivShortDesc=TXT_KEY_CIV_ROME_DESC
CivAdjective=TXT_KEY_CIV_ROME_ADJECTIVE
FlagDecal=Art/Interface/TeamColor/FlagDECAL_SPQR.dds
WhiteFlag=0
CivType=CIVILIZATION_ROME
Color=PLAYERCOLOR_RED_AND_GOLD
ArtStyle=ARTSTYLE_GRECO_ROMAN
PlayableCiv=1
MinorNationStatus=0
StartingGold=30
StartingX=119, StartingY=20
StateReligion=
StartingEra=ERA_ANCIENT
RandomStartLocation=false
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_GOVERNMENT, Civic=CIVIC_DESPOTISM
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_LEGAL, Civic=CIVIC_BARBARISM
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_LABOR, Civic=CIVIC_BLUTRECHT
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_ECONOMY, Civic=CIVIC_AUTARKIE
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_RELIGION, Civic=CIVIC_ANIMISM
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_MILITARY, Civic=CIVIC_STAMMESKRIEGER
Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE
EndPlayer

I compared these bits to other maps and it looks right to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

EDIT: by the way, removing the extra teams/civs stuff (teams/civs 18-40) had no effect.

EDIT: by the way, removing the extra teams/civs stuff (teams/civs 18-40) had no effect.

From the complete file you posted:

As you don't have more than 18 Civs in your scenario/map, I advise you to:
1) delete entries 18-40 (or keep them deleted)
2) do not play with the dll

I suppose that was the way you were playing it before your problems.

By doing this, you are cleaning the mess that created two potential barb players at slots 18 and 40. It is possible that the Platy Builder will re-create slot 18 for barbs which is fine. Get rid of the Platy Builder line. Likewise, it can be re-created. That line was not in your posted file.

Note/reminder: 18 Civs playable mean slots 0 to 17. Slot 18 is for barbs. With the 40 Civs dll, 40 Civs playable mean slots 0 to 39. Slot 40 is then for barbs.

If you still have problems like:

A) "failed to read worldbuilder file.": there's a problem with the versions of Platy Builder. But your file is minimalist about the changes proposed by it so it should not be a problem. I think that your problem was caused by the mess explained above.

B) "you have been defeated":
1) enable Python exceptions
Code:
If you don't know what I mean by enabling Python exceptions:

under My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword folder (or similar), you have a file called CivilizationIV.ini. Change the file like this:

; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 0

The 0 setup will bring popups ingame if there are Python problems.

2) Play with a debug dll (for 18 Civs). A debug dll is slower than a normal dll but gives additional error messages. Place it directly under the Assets folder of Pie. Play in windowed mode.

Take pictures or transcript of any error message that would appear.

I've found two issues in the file. After removing them it loades fine.
1. Missing Linebreak
Code:
  387 BeginPlayer
  388   Team=3LeaderType=LEADER_HANNIBAL
  389     LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_HANNIBAL

2. The following promotion was removed. Remove this lines in the WB-File.
Code:
PROMOTION_TRAIT_PROTECTIVE

@isenchine: I've patched the parser of the worldbuilder files in PAE. Now, it made no difference if there are 18 or 40 entries in the file. This allows us to jump more easly between the normal DLL and the DLL for 40 players.

Attachments

• PAE Massive Arrian.CivBeyondSwordWBSave.zip
    55.8 KB · Views: 160
Ah, OK.

Note however that a normal dll will run some nano seconds faster each turn. Each time the game has to loop through all players, it loops 18 times instead of 40! :D

It's good that you found the two problems. I don't even have PAE installed on my computer... :mischief:

Big Thx for your help Ramk and insenchine!!

And now go to get one or two bottles of champaign ... ehm or sparkling water with alcoholic flavor :D ... and drink for a great new year! ;)
I wish you all all the best for 2016!

For any who are interested, I've made some modifications to that huge map (fixed the course of a couple of rivers, zapped some swamp I'd mistakenly put on hills, added Thracian mercs resource, and a few other minor fixes). Attached is the updated file.

Now that patch 3 has introduced the "impassible terrain" option, I'll try and make a modified map that makes much of the middle Saharan & Arabian deserts, plus northern Russia's tundra forest, impassable. That should make the map play faster.

A couple of comments on the changes:

1) It's good you reduced the power of Financial, but wow did you ever nerf it! For personal play I've actually changed Vespasian to MAR/BUI, which I deem to now be the best trait combo (previously ORG/FIN) and even with that, playing on Prince level, I can *barely* manage to avoid crashing my economy in the early game. And that's making darned sure I build the Silk Road for the extra $400.

Regarding FIN, I was thinking instead of +1 commerce to tiles with at least 2, it could've been changed to +1 to tiles with at least 3. Alternatively, FIN could provide a general 10% boost to commerce?

2) Related to this, obviously, is the reduction in commerce from sea tiles and lumber mills and the increase in the number of buildings and units that require maintenance payments. And I think you nerfed the Colonization civic too, which is something I do think needed to happen.

I think that some combination of these changes would be good, but the early game is now absolutely brutal (it was already hard). I know you're aiming for that, which is fine in its way, but IMO the way the tech tree is set up, you kinda hit a particular point in the game where you go from barely being able to have an empire to being home free (mint, markets, courthouses, public executions, and some other things I'm forgetting right now kinda come all around the same point). It's like flipping a light switch, the change is so dramatic. Maybe a bit too dramatic?

I'm thinking maybe the early game situation could be eased a bit, but even more units/buildings could cost money to reduce the runaway snowball effect you can get (have success -> bigger empire -> more money/power -> more success -> etc).

3) I'm really uncertain about the 2-move infantry units. I find myself kind of hating the slow movers when they're available because the earlier units are so useful. I think they may be overpowered.

4) Good job fixing the previously massively overpowered chariot archers, horse archers, and Deceris which used to be able to bombard multiple times/turn. That was fun but silly.

5) Great general points seem much harder to come by. That's probably good.

6) Not sure about the inability to mine hills w/o mining resources (quarrying instead). The more I play the more sense it makes, though.

7) Still going with -1 health per future tech? Ugh.

Overall, it's still great fun. Just my thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em.

Attachments

• PAE Massive Arrian.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
Hi, I'm a newbie to the mod and I've quite a bit of trouble playing as the Romans.
(Apologies if this is not the correct thread to post in)

I'm playing on noble, standart Europe map (from the scenarios), no tinkering with settings. I've patch 3 installed. I'm Organised/Charismatic.
Now the main problem are the Etruscs to the north. I figured that since I can't research boat building on my own, I'll need to get through Etruscs to advance.

In my first game, I played fairly peacefully and settled to the south of rome before trying to take the Etruscs. However, I only have copper, no tin -> no bronze. When I decided to try to take the Etruscs down with my stack of axemen, they were already way too strong for me to handle as they too have advanced, to the north of their capital, and gotten a disgusting amount of shortbows. I restarted.

On my second try, I got the axe technology as soon as possible and started rushing axemen. When I had two I sent them to the Etruscs and declared war, aiming to blocade their surrounding tiles (so that they can't work them). This seemed to work - their capital never grew beyond 4 pop and they didn't build any more cities. However, the best I was able to do was fortify my troops in the surrounding forests and send more units to block all the tiles in the fat cross.

However, I still can't seem to be able to beat him. I've been churning out axes almost non-stop in Rome, yet he still manages to keep up, building his stack of shortbows inside the city, and attacking my units on range. The army also crashed my economy to about 60% research, and while I was blocading him other nations built settlements to the north of his capital and staffed them with massive stacks of shortbows. I'm once again at a loss as to what to do here.

Building shortbows and doing ranged attacks to weaken his army doesn't seem like a good idea since with the new costly arrows I'll probably fall really behind if I do that (and get crushed by one of my northern neighbours who was building shortswords by the time I gave up on my 2nd try (cca. 1700 BC)).

Before this I had a fairly succesfull run with Athens (Maritime/Builder) - It was just really easy to expand across the archipalego and grab a lot of island cities, plus conquer Sparta later. Not to mention that I had a source of both tin and copper nearby. (note : It was also before I installed patch 3)

@Nouth

Yeah, thats what Im talking bout! This mod is a real challenge even at noble!

An idea I have tried on the Eurasia map (40 civs Mayhem!) is to start a game with 2 Etruscan civs. They spawn on the same tile and then settle really close, stealing tiles from each other. They might even start fighting if one is lucky, haha.

Hi Nouth! Welcome!

Try to be patient. There is no need to conquer the whole world till iron age. Wait till you have strong military. Rome was completely conquered 387 BC by Brennus. So, found some cities in Italy. Live prosper und defend them. Try to learn to play the mod in a peaceful way first. After you are ready with shield bearer (about 800 BC) or even later with the first Roman special troops (principes, hastati, triari), you can try to conquer then. ;)

For any who are interested, I've made some modifications to that huge map (fixed the course of a couple of rivers, zapped some swamp I'd mistakenly put on hills, added Thracian mercs resource, and a few other minor fixes). Attached is the updated file.

Great map. Just one thing, the regrowth of fog of war isnt woring on the map.

Great map. Just one thing, the regrowth of fog of war isnt woring on the map.

Really? It works for me! I wonder why it's not working for you.

Hmm, now that I think of it I haven't played that modified version... I'm still playing the prior one. Maybe I broke something. Not sure how, though, all I did was remove a few swamps, re-route a couple of rivers and add Thracian mercs.

Btw very nice mod , quick question how to you get to hire Mercenaries ie Celtic Roman etc about seven appear in your build Q.

Yet you need the "Celtic" "Roman" etc.

Cheers

Pardon? :D

Do you mean the mercenary bonus resource of a CIV? Getting via standard trade screen?

Those will be merged into the mercenary popup screen of PAE.

Pardon? :D

Do you mean the mercenary bonus resource of a CIV? Getting via standard trade screen?

Those will be merged into the mercenary popup screen of PAE.

Sorry my bad what I ment was Ive been playing the Romans for like ages and have in my build Q mercenaries but I am unable to build any including the Roman as I lack the resource? how do I get to build them.

Many thks

You need the resource.
As Roman you are able to produce the Roman Mercenary Resource which you can trade with others. Others can then build the mercenary legionary. You - as Roman - don't need to build the mercenary legionary because you can build the "normal" legionary. It's the same. (without mercenary penalty).

So, if you want to build a Greek hoplite, you have to trade the Greek Mercenary bonus resource from the Greeks.

Did you mean that?

There's a second mercenary option: a popup, where you can hire mercenaries which costs money.

You need the resource.
As Roman you are able to produce the Roman Mercenary Resource which you can trade with others. Others can then build the mercenary legionary. You - as Roman - don't need to build the mercenary legionary because you can build the "normal" legionary. It's the same. (without mercenary penalty).

So, if you want to build a Greek hoplite, you have to trade the Greek Mercenary bonus resource from the Greeks.

Did you mean that?

There's a second mercenary option: a popup, where you can hire mercenaries which costs money.

Thanks
How do I get the resource? or when? at the mo i can build shield bearers(swordsmen) 8 strength.
The Germanic and Roman mercenaries are 12, as far as I can see I am decades away from legionaries of which

a) are only 10 strength and 2) need Marian reforms which at the mo I cant even find in the tech tree??

Cheers

With the building: Roman/Greek/Germanic etc. Guild you can procude the bonus resource, which can be traded.

So, if you can build legions on your own (Marian reforms, about 100 BC), you can construct the Roman Guild that produces 1 roman mercenary bonus resource. If you have 5 cities, you can build 5 of them and trade 5. So the trading partner can now build Roman legions.

If you want a Germanic Mercenary, you have to wait till a Germanic CIV has invented Longsword and has built some Germanic Guilds. Then you can trade the Germanic Mercenary Bonus with them and if you have one, you can train Germanic mercenaries.

It's a bit complicated, I know. And this part of option to get a mercenary will be removed and included into the popup mercenary menue (without trading bonus resources) in an upcoming patch

ah, to a) why 12 strength: perhaps I forgot to update the mercenary unit. but it's ok, because it has -20% strength because it's a mercenary unit.

Top Bottom