CFC TG1: Calling All Settler, Chieftain, and Warlord Players

Methos

HoF Quattromaster
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
I was thinking of starting a training Succession Game for players who are having trouble moving beyond the beginning difficulty levels (Settler, Chieftain, and Warlord). Basically, if you feel Prince is way too difficult and even Warlord can be tough, then this game is for you.

For anyone who feels comfortable on the difficulty level we will be playing, or above, then feel free to be spectators and offer advice.

For those of you who don't know what a Succession Game is, its typically a team of four to six players who take turns playing a single player game. For example, I start and I play the first ten turns of the game. I then upload the save to the thread and the next player downloads the save and plays the next ten turns. This then continues on to the next player and so on and so on. As each person plays they try to take screenshots of the game and they take notes of what they did during their turnset. They then post in the thread what happened durong those turns and any screenshots they feel are relevant. After they've uploaded the save then we all discuss what happened and how we feel its best to continue from there. Typical SG rules are that a player has 24 hours to claim the save, which is typically done by posting in the thread a 'Got it'. Once they 'got' the save, they then have 48 hours to play the save. Note, these games aren't fast and can easily take a month to complete, but the learning experience from them is tremendous IMO.

The settings I'm considering using are:
  • Our Civ: Either Greece or Rome, as I'm thinking many weaker players tend to wait too long before going to war and while it is a bit cheesy, starting off fighting with horses is one of the best options, especially if you're learning the game.
  • Map - Continents: I want to involve all aspects of this game, which means naval combat too. I'm willing to change this, so long as the map chosen forces some naval combat.
  • Difficulty - King or Emperor: King at the minimum and if the majority of our players seem to be rather comfortable with Warlord, then we'll bump it up to Emperor.
  • VC - Domination: As I implied earlier, I feel one of the toughest aspects of the game is learning how to successfully warmonger, so why not make it the desired VC.

Note: This game will take a while, as in at least a month, if not longer. Remember, people have 24 hours to claim it and another 48 hours to play, so if we average a turnset being played approx. every 48 hours, you're talking the first 100 turns will take 20 days. I'm just wanting you to realize how long this could last. I've been in games that took several months to complete.

My Civ Resume: I've been playing SG's since Civ III and it was in a training game hosted by Bede (Civ III) that really helped me out. I've played i a lot of Civ III and Civ IV SG and I'm currently in two Civ V SG (Immortal and I forgot the level of the other). Heck, one of them is an AW (All War) game. I've only completed one game, since I tend to get bored when I feel its obvious I'm going to win. Prince is easy for me and the one King SP game I played was also fairly easy. I'm not the best player, but I'm willing to host this game.

If you would like to participate, please state your interest and what level you normally play at.

Current Signups:
  1. Methos
  2. Centerfinger
  3. Aldor
  4. Sindri Pink
  5. shanodin
  6. eris

I'll take up to five players, since anything over six causes players to lose interest since it takes too long for them to receive the turnset.

If anyone has any questions about the the Training Game, please ask either here, or you can PM me.

This is an excellent idea and a great way to help out players who want to learn some of the nuances of the game firsthand.

Very cool of you, Methos. I'll be spectating this one for sure, if that's alright.

That would be great! I'm hoping more advanced players follow along and help out with advice.

Well if I see any advanced players, I'll let them know that we'd love to have their insight. ;)

Honestly, I could probably benefit from an SG like this myself (as I've never been a pro or anything) but I'll be able to pick up pointers from the sidelines. I'd rather leave the player spots open for folks that are really new to the series and just starting to learn the ropes. Plus, it's just fun helping the new guys out.

Rather then declare a specific victory condition, I should first ask what the players feel they need work on. Also, don't
Let the difficulty level scare you off. My first training SG was on emporer level on civ III and we won fairly easily.

I can beat Prince and King handily, but am having *some* trouble on Emperor these days. I'd join regardless though, so long as someone taught me how to take and post screenshots. :)

Personally I think I need work on making more of my own cities, rather than simply taking the enemies' and puppeting them. Perhaps razing and replacing with one of my own cities would be better? But then that leaves settler training time and Social Policy cost raises. So that decision would be something I'd like analysis/commentary on.

This is a very good idea. :)

I can beat Prince and King handily, but am having *some* trouble on Emperor these days. I'd join regardless though, so long as someone taught me how to take and post screenshots. :)

For this game I prefer players who can't beat Prince and tend to stay on the lowest difficulty levels. While I thank you for your interest, your ability seems too high for this game.

Is there anyone here who sticks to Settler, Chieftain, and/or Warlord and finds Prince difficult, if not practically impossible?

Alright, cool. Guess I'll just watch for the time being. :)

VC - Domination: As I implied earlier, I feel one of the toughest aspects of the game is learning how to successfully warmonger, so why not make it the desired VC.
Really? It seems like that is the easiest aspect of Civ V. It is far easier to win by domination than by other methods (diplomacy is pretty easy as well, but it takes time), such that I feel like I'm taking the easy way out whenever I win by domination.

In Civ 4 I used to play prince mostly, and was exploring monarch when Civ 5 arrived.

Here I've played mostly warlord so far (with a good few games on settler). Otoh, I've also played up to immortal (on duel pangea maps ;) So far I've preferred to stay on the lower levels because it feels comfortable, and in fact I think the game works better here than on the higher levels. You get far less trouble with AIs, they seems to play pretty reasonable here (nothing of that irrational, random stuff at least!).

I'm just now playing my first "real" game on prince, so far its ok but it is an easy map. So I'd welcome the opportunity to play this one if possible :)

Otherwise I'll be happy to watch and comment from the sides!

Really? It seems like that is the easiest aspect of Civ V. It is far easier to win by domination than by other methods (diplomacy is pretty easy as well, but it takes time), such that I feel like I'm taking the easy way out whenever I win by domination.

I think the point he's making is that when players struggle on difficulty levels where they don't receive advantages, usually their number one mistake is either delaying going to war, or avoiding it altogether. So it would be more instructive to this type of player to "force" them to go to war.

I actually think military reticence is the number two issue for players struggling with difficulty level. Underexpanding is usually even greater. I know that to this day I still have to fight the tendency to expand vertically rather than horizontally.

Count me in! Maybe this'll help me speed up my development a little =)

EDIT. Got so excited I forgot: In CivIV I usually play Noble, but in CivV I'm having trouble getting past Warlord.

Really? It seems like that is the easiest aspect of Civ V. It is far easier to win by domination than by other methods

I think the point he's making is that when players struggle on difficulty levels where they don't receive advantages, usually their number one mistake is either delaying going to war, or avoiding it altogether.

Correct.

So I'd welcome the opportunity to play this one if possible :)

Count me in!

Thanks for joining. We'll give it a little longer to see if anyone else joins. This afternoon I'll roll a start and post a screenshot so we can discuss our plans.

For those who have joined, is there certain aspects that you feel you need a lot of work on, or certain things you're uncomfortable with?

Awesome!:goodjob: I will try a prince game and see if I can beat it, if I cant I will come here.

This may take a while at a rate of half an hour per day.:(

Hey

I'd really like to join this. I've been playing civ4 for a year and civ5 since it came out and I've never won a game on prince and only win about 50% on warlord, so the help and guidance would be really appreciated.

Shanodin

I can join. I was barely a Noble player in Civ4. I have just gotten through all the map types on Settler. I've actually done a few domination wins, but I mostly do culture and Diplomacy by bribing City States. The one space race win I have could have become a Domination win since I had accumulated so many units from City States but I was being stubborn about going for the win I had planned for. I was thinking about going up a level, and I have not tried Rome yet. If you think I would be a good add on, I could try to participate and keepup with you people.

I'm not a pro at 5 or 4, but I'm pretty comfy on King so I don't qualify for this. Still, it's an extremely good idea and a rare injection of purely positive energy on this forum.

Top Bottom