Official Civilization V Steamworks FAQ

I have a question about multiplayer compatibility among the numerous different releases of ciV:
I have the Steam special edition with Babylonian civilization included, and I play against my friend who bought the pressed DVD version. Will I be able to play as Babylon against my friend online, even if in his version of ciV Babylon is not included?
Yes, you'll be able to play Babylon in multiplayer if you buy the Deluxe Edition, but your friend will not be able to do so.

Please note that Babylon is only included in the Deluxe Version and that the Special Edition does not contain Babylon (but some figurines and an art book). I know people use Special, Collector and Deluxe liberally, but they Special and Deluxe are different offers with different properties. See this thread for a detailed description of the different versions.

Yes, you'll be able to play Babylon in multiplayer if you buy the Deluxe Edition, but your friend will not be able to do so.

I don't really believe you can play Babylon on multiplayer with another person who doesn't own a version that has Babylon. Reason to this is as the other persons doesn't have any of the files needed for Babylon so he could not see the political view, special units or anything else that is specific to Babylon civilization.

I don't really believe you can play Babylon on multiplayer with another person who doesn't own a version that has Babylon. Reason to this is as the other persons doesn't have any of the files needed for Babylon so he could not see the political view, special units or anything else that is specific to Babylon civilization.

That's not guaranteed, but from experience of other games, they should include just enough files to play against Babylon in every game (and continue doing it with each Civ DLC by spreading updates).

Why are there 2 different release dates for the download version?

Direct2Drive.eu/co.uk/com: September 21st, 2010 at 10AM PST
store.steampowered.com: September, 24th 2010

The international DVD release is set for 24th of September, so when ordering via Direct2Drive (Steam), when will I get the game activation? Do they know my IP (I'm from Germany) and will they postpone my activation until 24th?

I don't know about you others but I just hate installation restrictions - reminds me of the tricks developers used in the old Apple II days. Says allot about the perceptions of a developer who expects their customers to be cheats and thieves. These 'protection' methods always seem to create more problems than they are worth. For example, a one-time installation - what does that mean for someone who moves to a new box after installation - do they have to buy another game? Like mentioned previously, what if you don't even want to use the capabilities Steam provides? If they're going this route why not do it right and license seats or simultaneous uses or single users? Make it quick, simple and reliable for people with all sorts of equipment - there are plenty of people who just expect the game to load and run - I haven't seen that happen for most people since Civ's early days (anyone remember Civ3 CD access problems, processor compatibility problems, graphics issues in Civ 4, etc.??).

I don't know where you get the installation idea from. Steam has no installation limits. Also, every major game uses some kind of DRM, mostly internet-based or using highly intrusive drivers (securom). Steam is definitely on the innocuous end of the spectrum.

For example, a one-time installation - what does that mean for someone who moves to a new box after installation - do they have to buy another game?
Steam has no installation restrictions. You can install an unlimited number of times on an unlimited number of machines. The only restriction is that you can only play on-line on a single machine at the same time, which is not unreasonable.

Make it quick, simple and reliable for people with all sorts of equipment - there are plenty of people who just expect the game to load and run - I haven't seen that happen for most people since Civ's early days (anyone remember Civ3 CD access problems, processor compatibility problems, graphics issues in Civ 4, etc.??).
Steam is quick, simple and reliable. Processor compatibility and/or graphics issues have nothing to do with Steam. Civ5 uses DirectX, which is by far the most ubiquitous graphics system for games, so if there's a modern graphics card that doesn't know how to handle DirectX, then :rolleyes:

I care more about getting the additional civs more than maps (since I usually play on random maps) so I'm not too concerned about not getting a map pack. I'll be getting the Digital Deluxe edition either way. The only difference between the Digital Deluxe Edition on Steam and the DD on Direct 2 Drive then is that D2D is offering the Double Civ and Scenario pack for free, correct? Just want to make sure that I preorder the right version.

I care more about getting the additional civs more than maps (since I usually play on random maps) so I'm not too concerned about not getting a map pack. I'll be getting the Digital Deluxe edition either way. The only difference between the Digital Deluxe Edition on Steam and the DD on Direct 2 Drive then is that D2D is offering the Double Civ and Scenario pack for free, correct? Just want to make sure that I preorder the right version.
See this thread for an exact comparison between the different offers.

Deluxe = Regular Civ5 + Babylon + Soundtrack + Making of Video

Steam Deluxe = Deluxe + Map (Cradle of Civilization: Mesopotamia)
D2D Deluxe = Deluxe + Civ3 + coupon for DLC Pack (2 civs + scenario)

This is about as simple as I can explain it. So if you care for the extra free civs (when they become available) then go for the D2D offer.

who cares abotu the extra civs? someone will mod a better version anyways.

See this thread for an exact comparison between the different offers.

Deluxe = Regular Civ5 + Babylon + Soundtrack + Making of Video

Steam Deluxe = Deluxe + Map (Cradle of Civilization: Mesopotamia)
D2D Deluxe = Deluxe + Civ3 + coupon for DLC Pack (2 civs + scenario)

This is about as simple as I can explain it. So if you care for the extra free civs (when they become available) then go for the D2D offer.

Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

Anyone having trouble with the Steam version of Civ 5? My games crashes after a while and I was wondering if it has something to do with the Steam version.

Problemsignatur:
Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
Anwendungsname: CivilizationV.exe
Anwendungsversion: 1.0.0.17
Anwendungszeitstempel: 4c9b9294
Fehlermodulname: CivilizationV.exe
Fehlermodulversion: 1.0.0.17
Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 4c9b9294
Ausnahmecode: c0000005
Ausnahmeoffset: 00439dd0
Betriebsystemversion: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
Zusatzinformation 1: fd00
Zusatzinformation 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Zusatzinformation 3: fd00
Zusatzinformation 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Where are the answers to the questions about DRM that keep getting moved to the other thread? I don't buy music from iTunes because of the DRM; do I have to stop buying computer games now, too? I also am suffering the random crashes problem; does this have anything to do with Steam? More than a little frustrated with a software release I've awaited for a long time....

there are still several unanswered questions in this thread about which i'd like an official statement, but apparently the first few week of sales went well enough so nobody at 2k games cares anymore.
how very disappointing.

(i realize there should be no discussion in this thread, but then, where are the official answers this thread is supposed to be for??)

there are still several unanswered questions in this thread about which i'd like an official statement, but apparently the first few week of sales went well enough so nobody at 2k games cares anymore.
how very disappointing.

(i realize there should be no discussion in this thread, but then, where are the official answers this thread is supposed to be for??)

Well, what questions are you interested in having answered? Sometimes posts just get 'lost' in a thread.

Primarily this one:

Is it true that, should Steam become unavailable, there is no legally binding clause in either (Steam / Take2) license that prevents them from simply abandoning their customers, and leave the customers with a DRM that doesn't let them activate their purchased games anymore?

i too want to be able to play a game i bought well into the future, without having to rely on some third party's servers (which may or may not exist in 5 years), without having to keep the computer i activated it on indefinitely, and without having to resort to cracks.

i don't really need a legally binding clause (it's too late for that anyways), but at least _some_ assurance that Firaxis / 2K Games know about this issue and that they could provide some solution to remedy this, should this situation actually occur.

ironically, the cracks are probably my best bet for long-term "support". and companies wonder why customers resent DRM.

Top Bottom