God & Kings Screenshot Analysis

I understand the expansion is called "Gods" and Kings, but will there be an option to have your chosen civ as a non-religious society with corresponding bonuses?

In Civ4 BtS religion was optional for your chosen civ, but really, if you didn't go with a religion you were at a significant disadvantage, just due to the massive amounts of money it brought in if nothing else.

It'd be nice if there was an option for "secularism" (for example) instead of a state religion, which could have it's own set of benefits, like religions undoubtedly will. Does anybody know if this will be in the expansion?

I believe the penultimate religious symbol to be Totemism. The symbol used for Totemism is normally of a totem pole with outstretched wings - the civ icon looks like that too. Additionally, it fits alphabetically and gives the American civs a fitting religion!

I'm wrong :sad:.

10 is Tengriism, a religion in central Asia.
Here's an article on Tengriism with the same image that religion 10 has:
http://gara-tengri.blogspot.com/2010/03/religion-of-turks.html
And here's the wikipedia article on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengriism

He's right ;). The link even has the exact same symbol that's going to be in the game.

Yes, maybe it would be one more civ like Spain, England or Holland but in Civ IV it was actually very well done (historically speaking) with the Nau (a bigger Caravel, actually able to get to India) as the unique unit and the Feitoria (fortified trading post) as the unique building.

Civ4 found a good unique unit and unique building, but that's not what Civ5 requires. Civ5 requires making each civ play differently from every other civ. Think about the Polynesians or Danes. This isn't make one expansive spiritual and the other expansive imperialistic.

Where are new fresh civs? I'm kinda sick that every civ game at the end gets same inca/maya/aztec trio, same colonial powers (spain, dutch, etc...), same mediterranians civs (cartage, byzantines, etc...).

I think you can do a little bit of both. They did add the Polynesians, Siam, and Songhai. I've been advocating for either Indonesia or the Moors as another option. The expansion is the perfect opportunity because they might not sell as well as DLC.

I think you can do a little bit of both. They did add the Polynesians, Siam, and Songhai. I've been advocating for either Indonesia or the Moors as another option. The expansion is the perfect opportunity because they might not sell as well as DLC.

Yeah, you are right.
But as far as expansion content, that is known at the moment, I'm only seeing "recycled" civs. Probably a reason why I started my little rant.

Then why is it holding a sword?

For the same reason the Maori Warrior is holding what appears to be a giant steel cleaver. It's just the artist's rendition.

If you look closely at the Swordsman, it's holding a bronze sword not an iron sword.

If you Google Pictish warrior images, you'll find half of them are holding spears. Some appear to be holding wooden clubs and some swords.

Great news ! I have one confusion. They did mentioned of new civs, military units & CS but not about new techs. Are they not going to overhaul the tech tree & add more complexity to it by adding new techs & interlinks so that beelining is not that strong.

They did say they are adding new techs, they just didn't specify how many.
It will come as no surprise to those of you who are familar with expansion packs for previous Civilization games that Gods & Kings will add more techs, units, buildings, Wonders, and playable Civilizations.

Perhaps the Pictish warrior is an Axeman replacement, though considering what we know about the breadth of new units (focused on air and naval units) it seems unlikely. My guess is that it's an impossible scenario mocked up in the World Builder.

I think the Pictish Warrior is a spearman replacement, and I don't think they scaled the combat strength as linearly as Monthar said. My speculation is that the HP boost is primarily to increase damage "fidelity" (which would still make them last longer, no more 10% minimum damage) and the later units got a larger strength boost to accommodate the WWI era stuff.

Something I've noticed with faith (forgive me if this has been mentioned ;)). There's no target shown for you to reach, like there is with culture and golden ages. It may be that they've just not put it in yet of course, or that the accumilation of faith works in a different way. Maybe it's like currency, allowing you to "save up" and "spend" your faith in a more flexible manner, or perhaps you have to "spend" faith in addition to the other resources to construct religious buildings.

Any thoughts?

For the same reason the Maori Warrior is holding what appears to be a giant steel cleaver. It's just the artist's rendition.

If you look closely at the Swordsman, it's holding a bronze sword not an iron sword.

If you Google Pictish warrior images, you'll find half of them are holding spears. Some appear to be holding wooden clubs and some swords.

The Picts, however, are an iron age civilization and the sword looks very much like this iron sword. There is one major flaw in my point of view, though: in the screenshot, the civilization already has the Pictish Warrior, but is still researching iron working....

Yeah, you are right.
But as far as expansion content, that is known at the moment, I'm only seeing "recycled" civs. Probably a reason why I started my little rant.

True, but there's at least one commonly included civ we know is not included.

Could they go with all old civs? While they certainly could just have civs that appeared once before, they won't have all civs that appeared in several games. Even with Dutch, Celts, Carthage, Byzantines, Mayans, and adding Zulu and Sumeria, there would be two more options that could be never before seen (or at least, has never been a reoccurring civ).

True, but there's at least one commonly included civ we know is not included.

Could they go with all old civs? While they certainly could just have civs that appeared once before, they won't have all civs that appeared in several games. Even with Dutch, Celts, Carthage, Byzantines, Mayans, and adding Zulu and Sumeria, there would be two more options that could be never before seen (or at least, has never been a reoccurring civ).

An excellent point.
So there is something to look forward to no matter what.

I have a feeling we will see a few new Civs, and frankly Civ V versions are wildly different than their past versions thanks to UAs.

Well, except that these are staged screenshots. It's still a careless mistake to make, so I won't disagree with you, though.

They use FireTuner to make the screenshots, so anything can happen. Hell, there's a chance they might not even be playing as the Celts.

They use FireTuner to make the screenshots, so anything can happen. Hell, there's a chance they might not even be playing as the Celts.

That is true.
If only they released more leader screens.
The 2 they did release are gorgeous, and I'm curious as to how the other 7 leaders will be portrayed.

Top Bottom