Korea and Ancient Wonders DLC Video!

I'd like to know this too - what timezone are they going by for the release?

Around 10:00AM:US_Pacific_ST -- unless Steam has a backlog in their sequential updates.
But consider this also... once the flood gates are open and the usual processing begins - bandwidth lags do happen, better known as Fiberwires Offer/Demand flow. :D

Well, good news is....only one more day until Korea and Wonders! :)

I'm going to have to hurry and finish my current game before Seoul changes names, I think.

Yeah, I know. I suppose I could argue that would be confusing, but it's really just an aesthetic change. Still, it's nice to complete a game before something changes.

I'm going to have to hurry and finish my current game before Seoul changes names, I think.

Yea, also my friends wants to finish our MP quick as possible before Korea comes out...but probably that won't happen...:lol:

The good news is Carthage would be invaluable for a modder, since they can recycle the audio files for Phoenicia (I know Western Punic vs. Eastern Phoenician, but close enough). Phoenicia is a very naval power (Carthage is too, but has other strengths). Considering they've released the Danes and Polynesians and will likely release the Dutch some day, that pulls away from Phoenicia. It's also currently represented by two city-states. Obviously that's clearly not enough to rule it out, but I don't expect it.

My hope is a Carthage/Celts double pack. I think Carthage is the more deserving, but the Celts are far easier to produce. It's far easier to find a Gaelic speaker (even if just modern Irish) than a Punic speaker. I also think the Civ would sell well. People like Celtic things, it's very much a part of American culture. Plus, a Rise of Rome scenario is always popular. Maybe they can release it in March to coincide with St. Patrick's Day.

i say phoenicia because they are kind of to carthage as greece is to rome so i think they should be in with carthage but carthage is more important. celts need to be added and i would more expect them to have scottish/irish culture and units. with the celts they could have rise of rome and maybe something to do with william wallace and the scottish revolution against england.

True.

They could also go for Welsh, which would be closer if they go for Boudica again. It really depends on what region of celtic culture they focus on. Gaelic works for a Scottish/Irish-oriented civ, which could also give them a medieval or renaissance UU. Welsh would be the best for an ancient British civ. The jury would be out if they were going for Gaul (with Vercingetorix or whoever): is there enough knowledge of ancient Gallic to do a voice-over?

they cant really use welsh since the english have their most famous unit (longbowmen) and i think gaelic would be the best to base them on because it has survived and the others havent

I'm not sure I'd want to see the Celts in Civ V, if only because Firaxis seems to be pushing Civ into a less Eurocentric direction with the inclusion of Songhai, Siam, Polynesia and other new civs to the series.

For DLC after this I'd like to see either more American civs or African ones. For example, either making the Sioux or the Apache and including an American West scenario. Or including an African colonization scenario so they can add the Zulu, Kongo or Ethiopia - perhaps the Dutch as a new colonial power for good measure.

they cant really use welsh since the english have their most famous unit (longbowmen) and i think gaelic would be the best to base them on because it has survived and the others havent

I purely meant Welsh as a language, seeing as it is a Brythonic Celtic language, and thus closer to what Boudica would have spoken, in the event they make her the leader. Welsh is still spoken today in North Wales, where it's undergoing quite a successful resurgence and is actively taught in schools.

I would prefer a Gaelic Celtic civ (preferably called either Ireland or Scotland a la Denmark) simply because I'm not a fan of too much overlap. At present, Ireland and Scotland are only represented by city-states, whereas Britain and Gaul are pretty well covered by the French and English civs. As I mentioned earlier it would also give greater time span for UU/UB/UAs.

But as cfkane says, less Eurocentricity seems to be the thing, and you can't get less overlap than bringing in the Zulus or the like. :)

So the real question - and I apologize if there's an answer buried in this 14 page thread, but I couldn't find a definitive one - is: is this going to be $5 for three wonders (i.e., $5 for a non-scenario non-civ specific game feature)? Or is it JUST $5 for a scenario containing three unique wonders? Or will it be like when they added Spain or Polynesia (with new Natural Wonders/a new water feature); we get three wonders added in for free via the accompanying patch and you can pay for a scenario centered on it?

I'm totally fine with the scenario side of it, but if they're now selling more stuff on the tech tree, I'm done with Civ V totally. I'm fine with even mini-expansion packs as DLC - expanded Age of Discovery! Trade System! Whatever! but that doesn't seem to be what this is; this feels like "what other stuff can we sell? Wonders? LETS DO IT!"

집현전... I'm sure I've heard that translated more often as Hall of worthies or academy of worthies or some such in linguistics texts.

Annoyingly enough 집현전 can also be romanised as Cheep-Hyeon-Jeon which is something like how I remember hearing it the first time.

No, it can't. ㅈ is never romanized as ch, ㅈ is romanized as j. ㅊ is romanized as ch. Anyone romanizing ㅈ as ch, is doing it wrong. I'm really not sure why he romanized it as "g" either, I've never seen it romanized as that and certainly doesn't appear in any of the rominization systems currently in use. A google search on the name only returns this thread, the same as your rominization.

The most common romanization is "jip-hyeon-jeon"
as ㅣ is often written as "i" not "ee"

It's also the only name that returns anything on google searches, and some of those searches do mention it being called "Hall of the worthy"

The name actually comes from these Chinese characters:
集賢殿
which mean:
集 - collection
賢 - gentle, kindhearted, benevolent, virtuous
殿 - A palace, temple or shrine

I'm not sure I'd want to see the Celts in Civ V, if only because Firaxis seems to be pushing Civ into a less Eurocentric direction with the inclusion of Songhai, Siam, Polynesia and other new civs to the series.

For DLC after this I'd like to see either more American civs or African ones. For example, either making the Sioux or the Apache and including an American West scenario. Or including an African colonization scenario so they can add the Zulu, Kongo or Ethiopia - perhaps the Dutch as a new colonial power for good measure.

The only thing I don't like about that, is that I think it's silly to add civilisations just to avoid European civilisations and add "diversity".

There's no such thing as overpriced, at the end of the day. If people are paying for it, then it is properly priced.

Sure there is. Monopolies. Oligopolies.

And someone may reluctantly pay for something, even though they think it's not worth it. Not everyone is rational.

No, it can't. ㅈ is never romanized as ch, ㅈ is romanized as j. ㅊ is romanized as ch.

The most common romanization is "jip-hyeon-jeon"
as ㅣ is often written as "i" not "ee"

It's also the only name that returns anything on google searches, and some of those searches do mention it being called "Hall of the worthy"

Yeah "jip-hyeon-jeon" seems quite better. I wasn't really thinking about the spelling:D
I do hope they change the spelling of ㅣ from "i" to "ee" though, 'cause "i" can be both pronounced by "AH-EE" or "EE" whereas "ee" only "EE".

oh, and about 'ㅈ', I think it used to be 'Ch' just like Busan used to be Pusan.

Finally, Hall of the worthy sounds much, much better.
Is "Jade Hall" some kind of idiom I don't know about? The dictionary didn't show.

While I'll give you Polynesia, I don't think Siam and Songhai stand out more than Khmer and Mali. I'd be happy with some kind of ratio of four old to a new. Basically, release another previously unused Civ, then back to the established ones. I don't think they're dramatically less Eurocentric than before. Spain and Denmark have been DLC.

I'd prefer to avoid nomadic tribes (Sioux and Apache). Mississippians, Haida, Pueblos would be better, imo.

A word of caution. Spain and Inca were released together, but none of the others were. I really want a Rise of Rome scenario with the Celts and Carthage, but even that is a long shot (and they're civs that clearly go together, while standing out as very different). I suspect if they add the Dutch, Ethiopia, or Zulu, they'll have their own individual scenario.

Top Bottom