"The future will be better tomorrow."

Imperator Knoedel

Simperator Knoedel

Link to video.

Welcome to the future, which was worse yesterday!

Settings:
Next War mod
Modern starting era
6 random AIs
Epic speed
Huge world size
Fractal
All victory conditions enabled
Advanced Start with slightly less points than default
Raging Barbarians
No Tech Trading
Require complete kills

Turn order:

Imp. Knoedel (Catherine of Russia)
kiwitt (Louis XIV of France)
Nighthawk 419 (Shaka of Zululand)
Luthor_Saxburg (Mansa Musa of Mali)
Hercules90 (Tokugawa of Japan)
Rodrigo Costa (Bismarck of Germany)

on PBEM-Tracker

House Rules:

*You may only change the civics of a civ if you have more espionage points against them than they have against you.

*If a human is the vassal of another human, the master may demand one resource as tribute every turn. If the vassal does not comply they must break the capitulation at the soonest opportunity. The vassal may cancel every such tribute as soon as the game allows, meaning a master can only have a maximum of 10 resources sent for free by their vassal at any one point unless the vassal sends them voluntarily.

I might be interested if I can get some help configuring the mod used. I've had problems with mods. I am using 64 bit Windows 7. Runs great and fast with huge maps and marathon single player games.

This might be a good Mod to use.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19914
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=473463

I like real world maps if we are using modern techs.

"This mod is in a very early stage"....

After taking a second look I got rather discouraged. Same old culture issues, reworked Next War, not the original map, etc...

Fixed borders need to become standard BTS feature. All those culture wars are highly unrealistic!

Currently I can only fit one more big game to my PBEM schedule. I was hoping to prepare humans only Earth 2010 DominEarthion supergame. So I don't know. Let's wait and see how fast this will fill and what would be the final pick...

i agree with both kiwitt and tigranes. that 2100 mod looks very tempting!
count me in if we finally go with this one.

Huh, actually I would rather have a randomly generated map instead of a precreated scenario, since I already have something like that in my Next War PBEM. Probably should have pointed that out in the OP. Anyhow, if the majority prefers, then so be it.
Will update the OP with the current distribution of votes tomorrow.

kiwitt, your appetite for games is becoming legendary :crazyeye: How many games are you enrolled currently?

Nine in total - they are my escape for a very bad RL.

Hmmm, sorry to hear that, dude. I hope nothing health-related. The rest can be worked out, trust me, seen lots of crappy days myself...

*sigh* And so democracy bit me in my behind once again.

*sigh* And so democracy bit me in my behind once again.
"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." :D

If I can choose - "The Grand Empire of China" - as I am playing Japan on the World Map.

Alright I think I´d better make some things clear. This is not the kind of game I wanted to host here. Don´t get me wrong, I´m sure the Scenario is nice and all, but that´s precisely my point: I don´t want a pre-set scenario, I´m already doing that in my Next War PBEM, I want to play a modern/futurish game on a randomly created map. I´m sorry I didn´t make that clear in the OP, I hope you are not mad at me for this misunderstanding. :blush:
Now if you really want to play that 2100 AD scenario nobody´s stoping you from hosting your own game, it´s just that it´s not really what I expected from this one here. I´m really sorry for the inconvenience.

How do you envision playing future game with vanila BTS? In BTS time stops at 2025, no future units, just your regular jet fighters and nukes. So you wantr to give everyone like 2000 points settle down and nuke each other?

Usually it is a bad idea to host any game without pre-testing it in hotseat mod. Do you have any random world created in vanila BTS? Does everything look balanced? Would culture or diplomacy make sense in that set up, or domination is the only option? Why don't you generate something so people could take a look and have an idea of what to expect :thumbsup:

How do you envision playing future game with vanila BTS? In BTS time stops at 2025, no future units, just your regular jet fighters and nukes. So you wantr to give everyone like 2000 points settle down and nuke each other?

Which is why I´d prefer Next War Epic or LoR, or really any mod that expands on the modern/future era while still feeling somewhat like BtS.

Usually it is a bad idea to host any game without pre-testing it in hotseat mod. Do you have any random world created in vanila BTS? Does everything look balanced? Would culture or diplomacy make sense in that set up, or domination is the only option? Why don't you generate something so people could take a look and have an idea of what to expect :thumbsup:

Wait, do you suggest I should play an entire game against myself just to see whether it´s balanced?
By their very nature Multiplayer-games lean themselves into war based victories anyway if I´m not mistaken, so this wouldn´t be so different from other games. Admittedly Culture becomes even less probable with a smaller number of turns, but really, how many MP-games are won by Culture?
About balance, well we could ask a mapmaker to generate a map and make sure it´s not too unfair, e.g. by giving everyone Aluminium, Oil, Aluminium etc. close to their Capital and assigning all players their fair share of land. Heck for what I care we could play Custom Continents with 1 player per continents.
Erm, what exactly am I supposed to generate? :confused: We haven´t even voted on a map script yet, let alone which mod to use.

Not the entire game, just few turns, to check how future player will feel like after they get their civ.

Any well-made mod is far better than any vanila staff. Next War is ok "semi"-vanila mod, but nothing spectacular, quite frankly. They just add 10 more techs and very little new mechanics. 2100 expands on Next War and still looks like BTS -- because it is in early stages of development :lol:

Random maps and few starting units feel natural in Ancient Era. You don't want to start with a Settler and Warrior knowing nuclear fission on the virgin land, right :lol:? Or maybe you do? Something like another Alpha Centauri? Maybe Earth had a Nuclear War after North Korea bombed USA and few surviving nations escaped to Mars? With desert-like terrain? Or we have a parallel universe set on the planet with temperate climate where humans reached Modern era?

I want to play a modern/futurish game on a randomly created map.

Well, for the sake of clarifying your ideas lets generate such world using Next War mod, Large size and 6 players, maybe? And see how it might look like before we go for actual game?

See, in Modern/Future Era one would reasonably expect to take over ready to go world. With cities, you know. Buildings, borders and units. Using points might be enjoyable -- but some testing is required to see what is the reasonable amount of points for the given map size if we start in modern era.

Lets start with basics: which mod, which size of the map and number of players do you prefer. NO Democracy, just generate working example so we would have something material to discuss :)

So here is what I am talking about -- kind of started to do your homework for us :D

Suppose we go with Next War, no AI, 6 players and Large map. In choosing Map Type game offers Balanced Map option for Multiplayer only. Everybody will have Oil, Uranium Aluminium. Random everything else. Unrestricted leaders -- so first player became Victoria of Mali, second Stalin of Babylon, etc. 6000 points -- enough for 6-7 cities and few units here and there. For comparison -- buying a tech costs circa 5000 points. No nukes at the start -- someone has to build Manhattan first. Nobel difficulty still makes 36 turns to research the first Future era tech.

So now we have something to talk about. Is this what you had in mind? Do we like what we see? Notice, for example, that unlike Ancient starts the World is already visible, you just don't see you opponents. No control over map when you chose Balanced. Etc, etc...

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0217.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0217.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,379
  • Civ4ScreenShot0218.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0218.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 1,429
Top Bottom