Nostalgia question

I picked it up on a whim in 1991 or 1992 --- big mistake

Started my 1st game after getting home from work....next thing I knew it was 6am

Wow
I was playing it as a kid in either 1996 or 1997 - I can't remember how old I was - just that I was in grammar school.
And I was feeling oold because of me being 32 this month:)

I played it on an Atari ST/STE shortly after it came out.

The game came on several floppy disks and was slow to play thanks to all the disk swapping. I bravely inserted more memory (a whole 4MB I think!), put the game on a RAM Disk so the entire game contents were in memory and the game flew along!

Happy days.

I played it on an Atari ST/STE shortly after it came out.

The game came on several floppy disks and was slow to play thanks to all the disk swapping. I bravely inserted more memory (a whole 4MB I think!), put the game on a RAM Disk so the entire game contents were in memory and the game flew along!
4MBs!!!

I had amiga 600 with 1+1 I got after few years = 2MBs
Damn ritch kids from UK:D

BTW,

If you disable animations - you don't have to switch disks, and disk 3 was required only for ending cinematic (which was AWESOME, portraits of defeated leaders disappearing).

Must have been around 1995, however I'd been hearing rumours about this game and how cool it was for a few years by then. I was a student and could only access a computer at my university. Although the machine was all new and had a HDD of whopping 40 MB (!), sadly it was filled almost to the brim with all kind of scientific data, leaving only less than meagre 3 MB of free space. Civ1 was bigger and wouldn't fit in, so every time I wanted to play I had to zip a few folders of science, copy in the game files from three floppy disks, then delete them afterwards and unzip the data. Oh, my! :)

I played it on 1994... I assembled a new PC from a small reseller in a town nearby from used PC parts and, on a 30MB hard drive, here there was: a pre-installed Civ1!
I honestly don't (wanna) know how many hours I spent playing it...

I played when it first came out on the Amiga, not remembering exactly when that was (1992 I think). I also played SimEarth a lot when I wanted to go back even further in history ;).

Played it since the very beggining all the year just before entering on university (September 1992); I was 18 years old and used to play with my brother all nights long, drinking cold milk and eating cookies, specially on summer vacantions.

Ya it was long time ago and you made me becme nostalgic now... :(

I'm really fond of a few things in particular regarding Civ1:
- the city screen, that I still find very appealing
- the tech discovery music
- the intro

I'm really not fond of seeing Aztecs and Zulus come at me with tanks while I'm still roaming with pikemen. :lol:

I was in the Marines back in '91 and Civ1 was the first computer game I bought and I played for 12 hours the first time. Cut back to about 6 hours a day after that because the wife was getting grumpy. Life happened and I got away from the addiction. Skipped all the other Civ games until getting Civ 5 G&K in the past year and now I am hooked all over. New wife doesn't like it any more than the first wife did. :lol:

I got a free copy, but I don't recall the year.

My mom carpooled with somebody who had an only son that went to art school and did some work on the game. We were probably the only people she knew with a computer at home that would run it.

Top Bottom