[Col] Colonization Scoring System Breaks?

Alcohol_IV

Chieftain
I just played though an entire game of the original DOS-based Colonization, and was expecting an all-time high score. Are there known issues with the scoring if you max out the game and hit the New Unit Cannot Be Created error regularly?

Conquistador Difficulty
Citizens: 3031 points (in 38 colonies)
Congress: 125 points (all elected)
Gold: 745 points (745,000)
Village Burned: -36 (12 taken out)
Rebel Sentiment: 100 points
Early Revolution: 100 points? (Autumn 1699)
First to Independence: +100%

If my math is right, I should have around 8130 points. I'm not certain of the exact numbers because the display of colonists pushes everything else off the bottom of the screen. This happens in both versions 2 and 3.

My strategy in this game was using the Americas map, sailing up to Boston and then mercilessly conquering any other European settlement before they got stockades.

The final display of the Colonization Hall of Fame doesn't even show my player name or score, so it appears I didn't rank. The top displayed score is 5446 / 163%, and it isn't highlighted. The highlighted sixth-place game is shown at the bottom, but doesn't match up.

I went back and wiped out the HallFame.Dat file, and that still didn't show any results.

From http://www.colonizationfans.com/strategy/faq.html
How is the Colonization Score calculated?

+1 for every Petty Criminal/Indentured Servant
+2 for every Free Colonist
+4 for every skilled colonist
+5 for every Founding Father in your Continental Congress
+1 for every 1000 gold
+1 for each point of rebel sentiment (which means max 100)
+1 per liberty bell produced after foreign intervention during War of Independence
- (minus) difficulty level +1 for each native settlement you destroy

100% bonus if you are the first European Power to declare independence
50% bonus if one European Power declares independence before you
25% bonus if two European Powers become independent ahead of you
In addition, if you declare independence before 1780, you get a bonus. The sooner you declare, the better your bonus will be.

From doing some quick checks it looks like Converted Natives are worth as much as Skilled Colonists (+4).

I played Colonization obsessively and I do remember something about this problem, in particular the colonist display taking the full screen, but that was a very long time ago.

I've searched through my old notes to see what I could turn up and could only find this annoyingly cryptic line: 'The high scores bug applies to version 2.25 as well as version 3.0', which isn't much help.

My own highest score I have listed is 8318 but I think that was most probably a calculated result and didn't actually appear in the Hall of Fame.

My guess is that the field allocated to the total score simply wasn't big enough.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, after more research, I came up with this post from 2003:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=64435

Hi! By any change have you found another game to play with the same kind of obsession? Every now and then I pick others but in the end I always come back. Thank you guys.

Top Bottom