NW Europe Scenario for M:C

Osakasayama

In decline
I've attempted to make a simple M:C scenario using el_hidalgo's NW Europe map.
It features an early medieval Britain, Northern France and Ireland with the Frankish conquests, the Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms and the Viking invasions bundled together disregarding historicity;)

One map features pre-placed cities (for playable teams) and the other is left blank.

Civs:
Spoiler :
Franks
Wessex (Anglo-Saxon)
Mercia (A-S)
Norse (Scandinavia), in Ireland
Danelaw (Scandinavia)
Visigoths

Spoiler :
Natives:
Burgundy
Britons
Scoti
Picts

Problems:
-The map consistently crashes when selected via Custom Scenario. It works fine when loaded under Scenarios.
-The trade screens aren't accessible by the human player. AI seems to use it normally, however.
-The resource placement is left as random, as setting random placement to =false didn't seem to stop it.
-In the Unsettled map, AI Wessex & Mercia always move north to settle Scotland:confused: instead of settling their initial spot.

Attachments

• Franks.JPG
    Franks.JPG
    328.7 KB · Views: 439
  • East_anglia.JPG
    East_anglia.JPG
    409.3 KB · Views: 486
  • Empty_Britain.JPG
    Empty_Britain.JPG
    426.6 KB · Views: 507
  • Norse.JPG
    Norse.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 458
  • NW Europe MC.zip
    33.6 KB · Views: 363
Problems:
1-The map consistently crashes when selected via Custom Scenario. It works fine when loaded under Scenarios.
2-The trade screens aren't accessible by the human player. AI seems to use it normally, however.
3-The resource placement is left as random, as setting random placement to =false didn't seem to stop it.
4-In the Unsettled map, AI Wessex & Mercia always move north to settle Scotland:confused: instead of settling their initial spot.

Hey, awesome friend. Let me reply to the issues.

1. I have no idea what would cause this, would have to debug.
2. Did you place trade screens? Not sure how it would work with a scenario, will have to look into this more.
3. Not sure about this one either. What should happen on none random placement? Does this work in a custom game, as I never used it?
4. I bet this is because they are designed to find a good spot to sail from. The AI needs adjusted to fit such a scenario.

Thanks for your report on custom maps, hopefully I'll be able to look into these things before long. Finishing up school and working on other things at the moment, but I am excited to get back at this.

Thanks for the replies!

I did use WB to paint the trade screens. Its just that for the human player, the "sail to XXX" command never shows up on or off the tile, regardless of having the techs/perks. I've seen AI Scandinavia's ships appear from and disappear into it, so I'm pretty certain it works for the AI.

I just reused the "Randomize Resources=false" line in one of the Vanilla Col maps, dunno if it's working in that map or not.
I'm really fine with this, my OCD's going to kill me if I start placing historical resources:lol:

The 2 Anglo-Saxon civs try to settle Scotland regardless of starting them on land on ships. The Silver peaks might actually be the cause.
The other land-starters do seem to settle in place though. Weird AI behaviors...

I might try to make more scenarios in the future, or not so hopefully there are people playing M:C still.

While I personally prefer random maps, I do want proper scenario support since some people would like it that way. I'm not really sure what to say about the problems other than it looks like all of them can be identified and solved in the DLL. This mean it will be a question of when, not if the problems are solved.

However this isn't a top priority issue. The top issue is to get time and peace of mind to just sit down and work on the code. If I get to do that, then the absolute top priority is to get CivEffects to work and then we can release something. Next would be a bugfix release, which deals with issues like the ones you mentioned. We just need a proper milestone for the DLL first or we will never release new versions for people to play.

Top Bottom