Europa Universalis IV

Trajan's 116 AD campaign (which brought the empire to its greatest extent)

Italy, France, Iberia and Britain? It's clearly supposed to be the Western Roman Empire.

Balkans, Anatolia, Mashrip, Cairo? It's clearly supposed to be the Eastern Roman Empire. :p

In 1444 everyone still wanted to be the Roman Empire

Even so

by the time you have conquered all that stuff it's far beyond that point

and

Germany didn't need to conquer spain and Iraq to be the roman empire

The Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy nor Roman nor an Empire. :p

Even so

by the time you have conquered all that stuff it's far beyond that point

While EU4 is somewhat linear when it comes to stuff like technology, its determinism leaning heavily towards Europe, the state of the world in the end of the game is nowhere near set in stone. Polity creation and cultural developments are quite open ended. If a country managed to unite all of those areas, you could easily roleplay/argue that it, at some point, was/became about rebuilding some form of the Roman Empire. It's really not that difficult. For the whole of the dark ages *and* the Renaissance Europe has been obsessed with antiquity and the classical age. Just, well, rather than imagining things developing into the 1800s nation state, have the Enlightenment suck face on the Romans and Greeks even more, twist it a little towards Latin, (which Europe already obsteniously used) and voila, you have a meaningful thread leading to the reforming of Rome. Especially legitimized with political conquests, such aren't often detached from the ideas of the government.

and

Germany didn't need to conquer spain and Iraq to be the roman empire

The HRE considered itself Rome as much as Byzantium and Trebizond considered themselves Rome. There have been *a lot* of Roman Empires, at least namesake, in history. Even the Russian Empire at time had ideas about it being of Roman ancestry. Allowing the player to make another one isn't really a big deal, especially if conquering that much territory, overlapping that much with (Western) Rome.

~

But, anyways, was this about an achievement all along? It's not even about forming Rome? What's the problem then?

has anyone else never earned an achievement

Not earning an achievement ever is shameful. Most of mine have been accidental, or things I was trying to do anyway, or things that I was so close to doing anyway that I did them.

I haven't got any in-game achievement, and I'm in the game credits. Nothing wrong with it.

Not earning an achievement ever is shameful. Most of mine have been accidental, or things I was trying to do anyway, or things that I was so close to doing anyway that I did them.

>implying I've never signed a royal marriage

>implying I've never signed a royal marriage

I think he's implying that no one's ever played Iron Man.

Besides, Joan, Oda's probably right - it's likely Trajan's empire, as Byzantium doesn't need another reformation decision. :)

I've gotten a few achievements. I like Iron Man because I like being able to screw up and lose. Reloading is dull.

Besides, Joan, Oda's probably right - it's likely Trajan's empire, as Byzantium doesn't need another reformation decision. :)

No, he's not probably right. He's certainly right. :p

I've never played Ironman and thus have zero official achievements in 700+ hours of EU4. The killer for me is that Ironman only allows one save. I like the ability to go back and view my empire, or my previous empires, at later times - e.g. I'm playing Novgorod, it's 1550, and I want to load up my Moscow game from around 1550 to see how it compares. Wouldn't really mind it other than that, as I already never reload a game to replay it.

You can still have multiple saves, you just have to manually copy the save file and give it a different name. Also both save files will still be ironman compatible.

Well, I haven't seen said "high-level" players doing that much at all, but if they're anything like the few videos of Arumba's that I've seen, he prefers to treat it like a numbers game and make things creak to get every possible advantage.

Over the past 2 years I've generally outperformed Arumba. I'd consider myself pretty darned good, but "elite" players are those like DDRJake, Path, Marco Antonio, Ikkiks, atwix, etc. I'd put florryworry/bbqftw in a tier ahead of mine too, there are things I can do better than them but on the whole they'd typically outperform me unless I got very lucky or they had a bad day.

Players delete forts because they cost heaps of money and what they offer for that cost almost never out-competes having better advisors or more military units. The AI is an exception since the vast majority of its forts are free to it (IE no maintenance).

I've gotten a few achievements. I like Iron Man because I like being able to screw up and lose. Reloading is dull.

People who want to reload in ironman can do so easily via task manager. Since the game tends to crash/screw up on reload anyway the difference is marginal anyway.

I do ironman for achievements but it's a farce; the game violates its stated rules and changes rules patch to patch without documenting it. I will reload lying UI situations without blinking an eye and look down on anybody who believes that's cheating :p.

If it says I will get a stab hit, I should get one. If the game tells me I can't take that province because I couldn't core it, I shouldn't be able to console-take the province and core it instantaneously. If the game says someone will join the war against me, I expect them to join the war against me.

Not to mention I like playing the game as opposed to not playing it, which makes regency councils problematic.

Alright what does this corruption thing do

Nerfs already bad religions and ROTW. Additionally, it double-counts your nerf for having a bad ruler and penalizes attempts at monarch point efficiency by loading up on ideas, but mostly it's just a ROTW nerf.

Tsk tsk. Way too much Europe

Have some not-Europe then.

Spoiler :

Not gonna stop complaining about corruption til it stops affecting ROTW disproportionately.

Top Bottom