Conquests Unofficial Data Patch Project

player1 fanatic

Fanatic
Conquests Unofficial Data Patch Project

Idea:
There are slim chances that we are going to get new patch for C3C soon.
But unlike most critical bugs, there are some of those that can be easily fixed with a data patch done by community.

Data patch = patch that doesn't change the code of the game
Unofficial = in no way related to Atari or Firaxis

In this case, it's mostly changing text files that go with the game and fixing things like obvious civilopedia errors.

More serious bugs need changes in game code and they can't be done unofficially.

I was considering an option of modifying the BIQ files that go with the game (like removing offense AI flag from Musketeer), but since playing with those modified files would prohibit recording scores in Hall of Fame, I concluded it's best to leave them alone.

Install instructions:

Patch 1.22 for Conquests is required to make this work properly!

Contents of this zip file should be unzipped in your Civilization III\Conquests folder.
Since it replaces some original files I made a backup of replaced files in secondary zip. It should be unzipped in same way if you want to restore original files.

Attachments

• Conquests Unofficial Data Patch, original files backup.zip
    239.3 KB · Views: 982
  • Conquests Unofficial Data Patch, third draft.zip
    263.4 KB · Views: 1,229
Here is the list of things I've fixed for now

Core game (mostly changes to Civilopedia.txt file in Conqeusts\Text folder):

1) Fixed a bug, with (WWII) Paratrooper unit not playing any sound when attacking.

Comment:
One line, in WWII Paratrooper.ini file (Conquests\Art\Units\WWII Paratrooper folder), which specified attack sound was left blank. I added the link to WWIIParatrooperAttackGun.wav in order to fix it.

2) Fixed a bug, when science advisor would give wrong comments for Fascism, Ironclad and all modern era advances.

Comments:
This bug appeared with 1.22 patch due to removal of Radio, but not changing some lines in script.txt file (Conquests\Text folder).

3) Fixed an error of civilopedia referencing to Radio advance instead of Advanced Flight for Radar Tower description in Game Concepts and Worker Actions parts of civilopedia.

Comments:
Yet another error linked to removal of Radio.

4) Added the Paratrooper in list of units with Zones of Control.

Comments:
Obviously, when (WWII) Paratrooper was introduced into the game no one checked civilopedia entry for Zones of Control.

5) Added TOW Infantry in list of units that can be Drafted.

Comments:
Obviously, when TOW Infantry was introduced into the game no one checked civilopedia entry for Draftable units.

6) Fixed civilopedia description for Incas.

Comment:
For some weird reason half of the description for Incas was blank. Luckily, by just added few spaces at "break" point it returned to normal.

7) Removed reference to Stealth Attack in F-15 description.

Comment:
While technically, in original rules, F-15, Stealth Fighter and Stealth Bomber have Stealth Attack option enabled, it doesn't work in the game. No bombard units can make Stealth Attacks. Having reference to it in F-15 description just confuses the subject, especially since there is no similar reference in Stealth Fighter and Stealth Bomber descriptions.

8) Fixed transport window leftovers.

Comment:
This bug manifested when parts of the window, that showed units in transports, stayed on the right side of screen, after you switch to some other non-transport unit. This was fixed by moving transport window box 4 pixels left (changes to box trans color.pcx and box trans alpha.pcx files in Art\Interface folder).

9) Fixed civilopedia entry for Outposts that gave incorrect visibility ranges.

Comment:
Those ranges were all 1 tile greater then they should be.

Scenario related (changes to PediaIcons.txt files in appropriate conquest folders):

1) Changed civilopedia and animation graphics for Heavy Cavalry from Keshik to Ancient Cavalry in Fall of Rome scenario.

Comment:
If you look closely in city screen build list you can seen that it already uses Ancient Cavalry graphics for Heavy Cavalry (recorded in BIQ file). It's pretty obvious that Keshik was supposed to be placeholder graphic, but it never got finalized.

2) Fixed a bug when Musket Infantry, in Napoleonic scenario, would use Rifleman animation.

Comment:
It was probably difficult to detect, since these units are only used by non-playable civilizations, which are usually very week.

3) Fixed garbled Musketeer icon in Napoleonic scenario.

Comment:
It seems that PediaIcons.txt file referenced to larger version of civilopedia icon instead of the smaller one. Since Musketeers are disallowed in this scenario, that's probably one of the reasons why this bug slipped.

player1 fanatic said:
Well, it's more thing for a FAQ.
And most casual players don't know about NoAIPatrol=1, so they have NoAIPatrol=0 by default.
According to Wattoryey's thread,
NoAIPatrol=1 is the default in C3C, not 0.
See "a)" near end of post #1.

Wow, that is so true!

As far as I've now seen, they still don't try to attack outside NW/SE axis, but since now they like to patrol they won't stand fortified and will eventualy come to NW/SE axis and attack.

Hi player1 fanatic, a great idea!

I appreciate your good work.

Do you have an idea how to counter that sub bug?

I heard that making the subs hidden nationality, basically privateers, would cause the AI to go nuts and built Subs like there is no tomorrow?

This fix was the first idea I got regarding submarines. :)

Well, that goes in cathegory of changing BIQ files (or moding game rules).
And I'm against that, since then high scores won't be recorded.

And adding Hidden Nationalty to subs would change their role drasticly (probably making them too powerful).

player1 fanatic said:
Wow, that is so true!

As far as I've now seen, they still don't try to attack outside NW/SE axis, but since now they like to patrol they won't stand fortified and will eventualy come to NW/SE axis and attack.
This must be something I've missed; are you saying that if NoAIPatrol is turned off, Barbarians will move around more?

Longasc said:
Hi player1 fanatic, a great idea!

I appreciate your good work.

Do you have an idea how to counter that sub bug?

I heard that making the subs hidden nationality, basically privateers, would cause the AI to go nuts and built Subs like there is no tomorrow?

This fix was the first idea I got regarding submarines. :)

Yes, the AI would build no nationality units like there's no tomorrow if given the chance...

Top Bottom