Caveman 2 Cosmos

Noticed in my game that Rhino Riders can be upgraded to Macemen. Is that intentional? I wouldn't mind an upgrade to something like an Elite or Armored Rhino Rider (same for the other early game animal-based units), but an upgrade to a very different human unit seems a little odd.

Along this line I have Dog Soldiers because I got Sioux Culture. I can now build musket men and crussaisers but the Dog Soldier has no Upgrade available. In older versions it would upgrade to Mace.

To the Team, Did Dog Soldier lose it's upgrade path with the "Culture" changes?

JosEPh

To the Team, Did Dog Soldier lose it's upgrade path with the "Culture" changes?

Yes all ex-Unique Units now do not upgrade into anything. And before you ask why, here is your answer ...

A few reasons ...

1. The upgrade tree was getting crazy messy.

2. So they could be even more unique.

3. To avoid unit upgrade exploitation where could could start out with say a warrior UU then upgrade it into an axeman UU and then into a maceman UU and so on until you have a super unit.

Found and fixed :)

The problem was that th code didn't cope with religions being founded which had no free unit on founding (most give you a missionary). Mesopotaneism has no free unit (which may or may not be deliberate - DH?). The DLL code didn't handle this case and the CTD results.

yes, basic BtS sometimes gives a missionary and sometimes doesn't :)

This is much harder than it appeared!

Firstly I think you need all of these to be features not resources since:

1) They are always revealed
2) They are not tradable
3) Resources cannot be impassable

Since resource graphic assets don't work for terrain so far as I can tell, this means we can't reuse the oil graphic. Havign realised that I figured I'd try the volcano. I added a new module call 'custom terrain'. So far it just adds the volcano. This was when the fun started!

i) A DLL change was required to allow features on peaks at all from map generation. This might have unintended side effects but I think it should be ok.

ii) It turns out that peaks don't even have terrain type TERRAIN_PEAK at all!!! They are actually grassland that has the isPeak flag set. This probably explains why we've been seeing forest spread onto peaks. I have experimentally modified the DLL to cause all peak plots to have the base terrain type TERRAIN_PEAK

Having made the above changes the volcanos seem to work functionally. However, havign got them placed on the map I then quickly realised thast the graphics from the mods you pointed me to don't actually work very well. The volcanos actually kind of float above the plot which (in isometric view) makes it look liek they are on the plot behind. It looks fine viewed straight from above, but fails in normal isometric view :-(

As such I have not made any changes at this time, but I have the necessary code changes to support features on peaks (and probably fix the forests spreading there as a side effect), but still lack a suitable graphic :-(

Edit -so you can play with it (Hydro) I have attacked a RAR that contains:

1) Modified DLL that you'll need
2) Modular volcano feature (with frequency set VERY high so you can easily see it on any map with a few mountains)
3) The base terrain file is changed because the original had 'isWater' set for TERRAIN_PEAK!! (like I said - it wasn't actually USED before)

To try this out do the following:

i) Copy the stuff in 'modules' into your existing modules folder (the 'MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml' is the standard C2C one with the extra module so should be safe to over-copy, but hand-merge if you prefer)
ii) Replace the DLL in Assets
iii) Replace the main terrain def file in Assets/xml/Terrain

Let me know what you think about the graphic. I don't think it'll fly really but a second opinion would be good.

I have the graphics for volcano working fine as a feature without your dll changes. They generate fine on maps> Wonder what I did. ;)

Oh well....at a 5 str they are still being used as city defenders in my current game even with Musket available. The 100% vs melee is what is keeping them somewhat useful as defenders. They've managed to defeat several sharpshooters when fortified on forested hills.

Which brings up Sharpshooters, they can be one tough hombre to kill. And the AI's SS Always seems to have more promotions than mine! :p The Cherokee Musket man is a great counter. Trouble is so far I can only build him in 1 city.

JosEPh

i thing there must be a buf with great poeple. i have three of them and i want to start a golden age. it says that i need 2 but the button is greyed out and says i need more

They need to be of different types eg a G Prophet and G Artist not 2 G Artists.

Oh well....at a 5 str they are still being used as city defenders in my current game even with Musket available. The 100% vs melee is what is keeping them somewhat useful as defenders. They've managed to defeat several sharpshooters when fortified on forested hills.

Which brings up Sharpshooters, they can be one tough hombre to kill. And the AI's SS Always seems to have more promotions than mine! :p The Cherokee Musket man is a great counter. Trouble is so far I can only build him in 1 city.

JosEPh

In my view, if a unit does not upgrade it is a junk unit that wastes resources and time to be built.

yes, basic BtS sometimes gives a missionary and sometimes doesn't :)

I have the graphics for volcano working fine as a feature without your dll changes. They generate fine on maps> Wonder what I did. ;)

As a feature on peaks? Without changing the map scripts? Weird

This is much harder than it appeared!

Firstly I think you need all of these to be features not resources since:

1) They are always revealed
2) They are not tradable
3) Resources cannot be impassable

I think i mentioned that i wanted them as "terrain features" and not "resources". If i didn't I apologize for the confusion.

Having made the above changes the volcanos seem to work functionally. However, havign got them placed on the map I then quickly realised thast the graphics from the mods you pointed me to don't actually work very well. The volcanos actually kind of float above the plot which (in isometric view) makes it look liek they are on the plot behind. It looks fine viewed straight from above, but fails in normal isometric view :-(

As such I have not made any changes at this time, but I have the necessary code changes to support features on peaks (and probably fix the forests spreading there as a side effect), but still lack a suitable graphic :-(

Well there is the volcano in the "FfH Age of Ice" mod that comes with Civ4. However it seems that DH already got a volcano working.

Edit -so you can play with it (Hydro) I have attacked a RAR that contains:

1) Modified DLL that you'll need
2) Modular volcano feature (with frequency set VERY high so you can easily see it on any map with a few mountains)
3) The base terrain file is changed because the original had 'isWater' set for TERRAIN_PEAK!! (like I said - it wasn't actually USED before)

To try this out do the following:

i) Copy the stuff in 'modules' into your existing modules folder (the 'MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml' is the standard C2C one with the extra module so should be safe to over-copy, but hand-merge if you prefer)
ii) Replace the DLL in Assets
iii) Replace the main terrain def file in Assets/xml/Terrain

Let me know what you think about the graphic. I don't think it'll fly really but a second opinion would be good.

Do you have a screenshot instead?

Also did you gues see this post?

@Koshling & Dancing Hoskuld

Apparently the FfH Age of Ice mod that comes iwth civ4 has some features we should use ...

- Crater (Not too pretty but its the only crate i have found)

- Rock Arch (This looks cool I like the one where you can actually see the hole in the center.)

- Frozen Ship (This looks like it would be fun to discover ships frozen in sea ice later in the game)

- Volcano (not as pretty as the other but it is a terrain feature already).

Also they have some other stuff that looked interesting such as ...

- Traps (might be cool to allow traps as either an improvement to catch food or traps in a defensive improvement).

- Bones (might be interesting to have it was greatly reduced in size as a scavenging resource or something. Or even a fossil site.)

In short could you guys and some of these terrain features like the crater or Rock Arch to the game? Thanks! :cool:

----------

On side not I found these the other day. They look like they would be fun to add.

Naval Mine

In fact it would be nice to add other things like landmines or other traps. Then have mine detecting units and mine defusing units.

Are these the one's i used to have ie: Dormant and Non-Dormant Volcano, Dustbowls, Blizzards, Disease's. Tornado's and Tsunami's etc?

As a feature on peaks? Without changing the map scripts? Weird

I should have said. I wonder what Aaranda did. I just updated the schema names ;)

I also got his tornado event working but because we have so many events it does not turn off properly. Which means that the tornado sits on the plot for 10-20 turns and more!

Are these the one's i used to have ie: Dormant and Non-Dormant Volcano, and Tsunami's etc?

Where were they? I just have AAanda's stuff.

I should have said. I wonder what Aaranda did. I just updated the schema names ;)

I also got his tornado event working but because we have so many events it does not turn off properly. Which means that the tornado sits on the plot for 10-20 turns and more!

Where were they? I just have AAanda's stuff.

I had them in version 005, aloooong time ago, and they were ALL python based and used with events only. But that was be Zappara changed the CvEventManager to RoM_EventManager.

Weird. I use terrainBooleans with the value TERRAIN_PEAKS and it works! Note: I have updated to v15 but not higher until last night so maybe it does not work now.

Here is a screenshot (see attachment) of the FfH Age of Ice terrain features I was talking about. If the other volcano doesn't work then at least we have this one as a back up.

The Crater and the Stone Arch would be terrain features while the Frozen Ship would need to be a resource or something since it needs to be revealed later in the game.

Attachments

• FfHAgeofIce.jpg
    FfHAgeofIce.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 3,418
Here is a screenshot (see attachment) of the FfH Age of Ice terrain features I was talking about. If the other volcano doesn't work then at least we have this one as a back up.

The Crater and the Stone Arch would be terrain features while the Frozen Ship would need to be a resource or something since it needs to be revealed later in the game.

Yeppers that is the same volcano i used, and again it is python based to work properly.

Here is a screenshot (see attachment) of the FfH Age of Ice features I was talking about. If the other volcano doesn't work then at least we have this one as a back up.

They are re-using their shipwreck, just putting it on ice.:mischief: I am still working on shipwrecks. They don't appear until submarine warfare, representing dive technology, but every time a ship sinks it has the chance to place the resource. It gives +1 food and +1 commerce with +1 commerce with Tourism. Modern ships that sink after submarine warfare also have a chance of generating a fish resource instead as marine research shows.

@Dancing Hoskuld

I noticed that the ivory resource in FfH Age of Ice has a mammoth instead on an elephant (see attachment). Could you add that as a new resource? Then The Mammoth buildings would not have to piggy back on ivory resource. Note its range would be similar to fur or seals. Also you could have the mammoth herd provide mammoth resource instead of ivory! :D

They are re-using their shipwreck, just putting it on ice.:mischief: I am still working on shipwrecks. They don't appear until submarine warfare, representing dive technology, but every time a ship sinks it has the chance to place the resource. It gives +1 food and +1 commerce with +1 commerce with Tourism. Modern ships that sink after submarine warfare also have a chance of generating a fish resource instead as marine research shows.

1. LOL very funny pun! :lol:

2. You should use "Deep Sea Exploration" tech so it has more of a use.

Thats a good point, but the way that one guy said is, that they only had one city, that is really hard to believe in v15 and above. If anything its got to be ALOT closer than usual now because of the Limited Cities. Of course you always get that FLUKE game, i get them also once a month or so and everything just goes right for the Human player. But next time its like you said i am always lately 20 techs behind now.:blush:

I have a screenshot for you (a bit further on in the game than I previously reported) - refer to the score box in the bottom right corner. My opponent still only has 1 city!!!!

Btw I'm not a guy, I'm a gal, not that it matters though :)

Edit to add: Oh after my last post, I finally found a fur resource on the map - first time in ages - either it's really rare or I've just been really unlucky previously! It's miles away from any of my cities though - there's like 1 fur on the map, and more worryingly, 1 sulphur, again miles away *cries*

Attachments

• C2C v15.jpg
    C2C v15.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 86
I have a screenshot for you (a bit further on in the game than I previously reported) - refer to the score box in the bottom right corner. My opponent still only has 1 city!!!!

Btw I'm not a guy, I'm a gal, not that it matters though :)

Edit to add: Oh after my last post, I finally found a fur resource on the map - first time in ages - either it's really rare or I've just been really unlucky previously! It's miles away from any of my cities though - there's like 1 fur on the map, and more worryingly, 1 sulphur, again miles away *cries*

Since you are at war with them the number of cities is the known number of cities not the actual number of cities. You can tell this because the number is blue. As you find more of their cities the number will change.

Edit I have tar pits working. I just need a button. the oil one does not look right. My volcanoes are now to high but are still being put on peaks.:confused:

Attachments

• tarpit.jpg
    tarpit.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 82
  • volcano.jpg
    volcano.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 84
Since you are at war with them the number of cities is the known number of cities not the actual number of cities. You can tell this because the number is blue. As you find more of their cities the number will change.

I'm not at war with them per se - we all started as minor civs, I became a proper civilisation when I researched writing, they haven't got there yet - which indicates how far behind me they are - we've never exchanged blows - but because they are a minor civ we are in a state of war and can't talk to each other on the diplomacy screen. I'll send some sharpshooters out to do some scouting and report back what I find with screenshots of course, but last time I had a look at close range (which wasn't that many turns ago, I had a load of naval units and recon units go around their borders scooping up the goody islands along their bit of coastline because they don't have any naval units yet so those islands were there for the taking - once I'd researched astronomy allowing me to send my waiting galleys away from the coast to go around the icebergs which had previously blocked my ships from getting there!) they did indeed only have one city. But I'll have another look, I'd be happy to be proved wrong :)

Edit to add a couple of other things I noticed:
- I have a continent full of cows, so have Portuguese culture in several of my cities including coastal ones - but I cannot build the Carrack UU - in Portuguese cities the Caravel still shows up on the build list, but no Carrack. Interestingly in the 'pedia, the Carrack description says that it will randomly build a female unit, as if it were a missionary.
- Adventurer recon unit description (when I hover over it in the build menu) says it has a cargo space of 1 as if it were a naval unit

Top Bottom