Gods and Kings Soundtrack

Glad everyone loves the music. What do you guys think of the new CS themes? That Yereva one or whatever is my personal favorite, but they're all quite spiffy and memorable in the expack.

Yep, gives them all personality. Not sure about this but what happened to the existing city states, do they keep their stock themes?

Maybe they'll get around to giving each distinct splash screens next time ;

I had a chance to really listen to the soundtrack and felt that the war themes were a bit too consistently heavy-handed compared to the original soundtrack. I understand these are played in snippets during the game but as a full soundtrack, it can be a bit much. I do, however, love most of the peace themes.

Yeah, they are more bombastic, but I do like them quite a bit. Quite a few of the original Civ V war songs were very bombastic (Spain, England, Egypt, Persia, etc). But I hear what you're saying, the war themes in the expansion are a lot louder. I think it might be best to separate all the music into areas (i.e. include Attila in the Asia music section), and create a separate folder where you shuffle them all. You should get an even spread of war and peace themes. :)

Being at war while playing Austria is essential because Dies Irae is just so friggin' epic.

Well, i really impressed by Carthage set, esp. War theme, (peace theme become heavy handed at end as well, and is very dramatic (could compete only with Russian drama-queen-peace melody :D )
Every time i listening War theme i dream about Unlimited and Unrestricted Naval Exploration and Conquest, "Das Boot" Carthage Edition, and etc :D

Say one would not be into (some of) the new music... yeah weird I know, does someone like that exist and if so who could that be... Hmmm :rolleyes:

Anyways... ;) is there a way to get the vanilla Civ V music to play? (Civ 4 would be even better, but that's a bit of a long shot :p)

I know Civ 4 had a option to even change the menu to your preferred look and feel.

EDit: Managed to get what I wanted by swapping around some music files. Love moddable games! :goodjob:

I could be wrong, but perhaps the fact that the new themes seem more "bombastic", etc, could be because in G&K all the tracks are fully orchestral.

I believe that while many of the tracks in the original were performed by the Prague Filmharmonic Orchestra, others (particular war themes), were sequenced from orchestral samples by Geoff Knorr. This likely gives a less grandiose feel to the tracks.

Could someone remind me where the music files live? I got the boxed version of the game which says 'includes bonus digital soundtrack' on the cover but I can't find it on my hard drive or on the disc...?

Whats up with the third video lol.

Could someone remind me where the music files live? I got the boxed version of the game which says 'includes bonus digital soundtrack' on the cover but I can't find it on my hard drive or on the disc...?

assets>dlc>expansion

and there should be a file named "soundtrack"

Just searched my hard drive. I have an Assets folder for Civ 4 vanilla and another for Beyond the Sword, but nothing for CiV...

I'm on Vista, if it helps.

edit: no worries, found them now :)

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I use a converter program to get them into the format and quality I want to go into iTunes, as well as to produce a nice flow through the different civs.

brilliant music! do you know where I can find the OST in the game folder??

I had a chance to really listen to the soundtrack and felt that the war themes were a bit too consistently heavy-handed compared to the original soundtrack. I understand these are played in snippets during the game but as a full soundtrack, it can be a bit much. I do, however, love most of the peace themes.

kamex, as promised:

Sorry for the really late reply. Been addicted to playing Gods and Kings. Thanks a lot! :)

Here's Michael Curran's response to my questions about the Main Theme, Mayan themes, Ethiopian themes, and scenario themes.

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the Gods and Kings soundtrack. The main theme is sung in Latin and is taken from biblical text. From the hymn "Te Deum Laudamus"(Te aeternum Patrem omnis terra veneratur). The complete lyrics can be found in the score - see my website http://michaelcurran.net/audio.html and click on "view score". The Mayan themes are loosely based on various Mayan melodies - the names of which are unknown to me. This was also the case with the Ethiopian music. The Ethiopian National Anthem is from Selassie's time as leader. After his reign, the anthem was changed. The Empire of the Smoky Skies is based on a well known popular tune from the 19th century called "Cherry Ripe" by Charles Edward Horn. Fall of Rome is based on a melody from the book "The Music of the Bible Revealed" by Suzanne Haïk-Vantoura. Thanks for your interest in my music!

The Main Theme has Heavy Weapons Guy from TF 2 in it, interesting :D

By that I mean that the link is broken or something, it shows the wrong video.

Yeah, they are more bombastic, but I do like them quite a bit. Quite a few of the original Civ V war songs were very bombastic (Spain, England, Egypt, Persia, etc).

Have the original Civ V themes been kept - eg England's war theme?

Top Bottom