Gods and Kings Soundtrack

Thanks Hypereon for the help :goodjob:
The *.wav I replaced it with doesn't work, although it is named exactly like the original (I *was* looking forward to hear Little by Littly by Oasis there, even if it "breaks" the atmosphere :D), but at least, the chalkboard-scratching has come to an end. Now there is silence ;) Thanks again!

Here's what the composer of Boudicca's themes, Michael Curran has to say about it. I asked him what of people comments that it's not "Celtic" enough.

I am happy that you like the Boudicca Theme music. It is one of my favorites. "The Lass of Aughrim" has been a favorite of mine for many years every since I first heard it in John Huston's film "The Dead" from the short story by James Joyce in his 1914 collection "Dubliners". I believe that Joyce references the tune and Huston included it at the very end of the film.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1CP5Lz2iHE It is among my favorite scenes in film history.

"The Lass of Aughrim" is most commonly known as an Irish tune, but as I began to research it, I discovered that it had Scottish roots. Many early folk songs of England, Scotland, Wales, and America had a rather intertwined history and evolution. The fact that it had Scottish roots and was related to the tune "Lord Gregory", I thought that I had enough of a connection there to use it as the Boudicca Theme.

I do read the Civ forums regularly and am aware of the comments or type of comments you mention. As to a complaint that it is not "Celtic" enough or that it should have been more like Civ4's Celtic Theme, I would say that the design of Civilization V was very different than that of Civilization IV in regard to the design of the soundtrack and the varied use of the Leader Music in the game. Early in the project, we met with the design leads and determined that we wanted "Cinematic Orchestral" as a style. As for how the "non-western" or "non-classical" music was to be treated, we tried to evoke ethnicity much the way a movie composer would by including ethnic themes and ethnic instruments into the "cinematic orchestral" style of composing. The Civ IV Celtic theme by contrast was written to sound like more traditional ethnic music of the region - or more specifically, what most people would expect that to sound like. While beautifully composed and rendered by Mark Cromer, the style choice was a product of the musical design of Civ4. You can read more of my thoughts about the musical design of Civ5 in articles and interviews I have posted on my website http://www.michaelcurran.net/esteem.html As to the comment about the lack of bagpipes in the war theme, I would say to go back and listen again. Bagpipes are featured prominently although are doubled along with the orchestra brass. Perhaps that is why it may have gone unnoticed by some.

Thank you for your interest in my Civilization music. Keep listening!

Michael

Here's what Michael Curran had to say about Pacal's themes.

I wish I could be more helpful in filling in some of the details of how this one was created, but as with many of the other civs that have very little if any recorded history of their music, I am left to my own imagination of what I think it should sound like. I did listen to as much as I could find on the internet and world music recordings and let it all be absorbed into my brain before beginning to compose. In researching indigenous American musics such as Mayan, Incan and Aztec, often what is found is modern, in the sense that it is post European colonization, and therefore greatly influenced by European musical culture - particularly Spanish in the case of the three civilizations mentioned above. Also, I am influenced (for better or worse) by a lot of Hollywood scores of ancient music.

I also created the Civ IV Mayan music, and I did take a bit of criticism on that one - most of it in good humor I think. I agree that it did sound a bit like flatulence. Silly I know, but it is an actual instrument. I would never have composed something like that for Civ V which has such a different musical perspective, but in the context of Civ IV leader music I think it was fitting and I enjoyed writing it. It has a lot of raw energy and is uninhibited in its display of joy and life.

Dear Mr. Curran,

I have a question about the unreleased Civil War scenario theme. I found it in the game files. It's a melancholic theme that seems to have been based on a familiar American song. What is the song that was the source melody? Thank You!

Here's his reply:
I cannot comment on the unreleased material at this time. I do thank you for your interest though.

Michael

hmmm....

Concerning the menu theme: the Latin in the official score is very strange some of the words are completely messed up? Maybe it's just the quality of the image. Anyway here's the best version I could get based on the original material (see sources). It's quite the medley : )

Te Deum laudamus
Te Dominum confitemur
Omnis terra veneratur

Intellectum illumina
Affectum inflamma
Munda quoque cor meum ab vanis

Cum invocarem exaudivit Deus iustae
Deus iustae, miserere mei
Audite haec omnes gentes

Auribus omnes qui habitatis orbem
Et quique terriginae et filii hominum
In unum dives et pauper