While We Wait: (Almost) Anything Goes

I'm not that concerned with the inclusion of time travel as I don't take the WoW universe too seriously to begin with - it's high fantasy and enjoyable for what it is. This expansion simply features so much WC2 nostalgia it kinda hurts my feels. I really adored that game and still do (the graphics, while using a vivid strong color palette, and sound designs are superior to many modern examples due to sheer force. The ogres hitting things with lightning gloves really *feel* blunt and potent.)

I myself am not that into endgame raids nor into pvp. I like the experience of exploration and questing. It's why I actually like Mists quite a bit, even though plenty of people think it sucks.

Do you play Horde or Alliance on Arthas? I'll make a new character there and perhaps chat you up. I spontaneously prepurchased and am going to resubscribe, so if you're online right now I'd like to add you as a BNET friend if possible. Then perhaps we can play a bit even though I level insanely slow.

I'm not that concerned with the inclusion of time travel as I don't take the WoW universe too seriously to begin with - it's high fantasy and enjoyable for what it is. This expansion simply features so much WC2 nostalgia it kinda hurts my feels. I really adored that game and still do (the graphics, while using a vivid strong color palette, and sound designs are superior to many modern examples due to sheer force. The ogres hitting things with lightning gloves really *feel* blunt and potent.)

I myself am not that into endgame raids nor into pvp. I like the experience of exploration and questing. It's why I actually like Mists quite a bit, even though plenty of people think it sucks.

Do you play Horde or Alliance on Arthas? I'll make a new character there and perhaps chat you up. I spontaneously prepurchased and am going to resubscribe, so if you're online right now I'd like to add you as a BNET friend if possible. Then perhaps we can play a bit even though I level insanely slow.

That's exactly the reason I've always played WoW, because Warcraft 2 was the first computer game I played outside of Oregon Trail. I actually stopped for a while after Cataclysm, and only recently got Mists, I've yet to do any of the new content in it.

At the moment I actually am doing a bunch of different characters on three different servers. Alliance on Moon Guard (only good RP server left) and Thorium Brotherhood. On Arthas is where we have the guild (Horde side) and at the moment from NESing it's me, TheLastJacobite, Nailix, and bestshot. I'm logging on now, character's name is Thudde.

I'm updating my video drivers. Will be online in 20 minutes or so. I'll just log in fast, message you and perhaps quest a bit - what kind of guild are you in? I'm looking for casual, talkative leveling guilds for old and new players alike and always will be. ("social guilds" rite?) :)

I'm updating my video drivers. Will be online in 20 minutes or so. I'll just log in fast, message you and perhaps quest a bit - what kind of guild are you in? I'm looking for casual, talkative leveling guilds for old and new players alike and always will be. ("social guilds" rite?) :)

I don't know how talkative it is, Nailix started it with a few friends, it's pretty much just for hanging out though some people aspire to one day raid. At the moment online it's just me and TLJ.

I've finished updating and I just realized my region is EU not US. Do you have a quick way of temporarily switching regions? I'm looking for it myself right now.

EDIT: The forums say I can't do that. Bugger.

I've finished updating and I just realized my region is EU not US. Do you have a quick way of temporarily switching regions? I'm looking for it myself right now.

EDIT: The forums say I can't do that. Bugger.

Yeah, that would do it. Ah well, no worries.

I'm thinking of getting back into WoW. Especially with WoD on the horizon, the setting really intrigues me, like Mists actually also did. Any of you guys still play it?

I'd have to renew my subscription that I haven't renewed in a year. :p

Anyone who comes frequently to this forum might be interested to know that I have a project at that other place that just opened.

Modern world plus alien conspiracy. Should be fast-paced.

Moderator Action: Links to games on other sites can be placed in your signature, but please refrain from linking directly in posts. Thanks.

World of Warcraft is one of the few games I never really got into. I blame a combination of being somewhat hipster, having horrid internet for years, and never really finding groups of people to play that particular genre with. And I am too young for the Warcraft games themselves to have any impact. At this point I'm just worried that I wouldn't get value out of the game's subscription and multitude of paid expansions, so still never got it. Must be doing something right though, or the game wouldn't still be going.

I do wonder if Blizzard will ever make a 2nd MMO though. Considering that some MMOs that came out recently are supposedly just as good as WoW, and I doubt they can just keep one base game going forever. It would actually lower the entry barrier for new players if they didn't have to buy 4+ expansions before being able to play the full game I think. Though I suspect that might simultaneously alienate some old WoW players that DID buy everything and have been playing for years, so I am unsure.

Well, the thing with WoW is that it became WoW 2 some time ago. Titan was allegedly to be a second MMO, but it was canned. The fact of the matter is that WoW's greatest strength is that it evolves as the developers feel it needs to. It's a very fluid game and thus is able to appeal to more people. The new expansion will apparently update the character models/graphics a bit more, which will help keep it fresh. Still, personally I think it's a great game to play if you don't really feel like thinking too much, or if you like a fairly decent story and developed world.

WoW has lost a lot of subs, but its barrier of entry is actually quite small and it's still the go-to MMO out there. If money is not an issue, I'd always suggest that as the first MMO you try out. With the Cataclysm storyline and world makeover and the inbound new graphics WoW is essentially WoW 2 - it has been nothing like its original incarnation since the Cataclysm expansion. And the leveling part of the game is a huuuge load of minigames with huge variation at the moment, it's not dull.

However, the MMO part of being an MMO is less present during a long part of the game; you have to find a social leveling guild (which there are plenty of) preferably with an active chatting culture if you want to feel connected to people. The leveling world is quite lonely and the people you meet usually indifferent to you; even the people you instance with treat you as part of the terrain. :p So it's really important you have some friends to play and chat with; on the other hand, if you manage to get hold of a social guild and a couple of friends, the game is a blast for what its pace is worth, there are intricate storylines and you feel like a hero. Not feeling connected to the universe is unrelatable to me though, I grew up with the Warcraft setting.

Buying the expansions isn't a massive gate to jump. They are pretty cheap now, and if I remember offered in a bundle.

Blizzard already has multiple expansion ideas in the work, from what I have read. Newer MMO's are having to compete against each other for players. WoW has established itself for a decade? That doesn't mean that they wont lose players, or have an ebb and flow of their player base, but they have such a larger player base than any other MMOs that it will be difficult for others to directly compete with it (thousands if not millions of players more than others). Doesn't mean that other MMOs aren't successful.

^ What Angst said in his 2nd paragraph is true word for word. The game can get quite lonely if you don't have anyone to play with. Find some friends through a social/leveling guild - if you can - or play with irl friends.

Personally I always had the most fun in WoW with RP guilds. Always had something going on, regardless of the level. Moon Guard is the only place where you get a full level of immersion though, and maybe Wyrmcrest Accord. If ya'll are ever looking to see something disturbing/funny go to Goldshire on Moon Guard on a weekday night.

:lol::rotfl::rolleyes:

Hmmm... Yeahh...

(edit: the laugh is not about what is discussed in this thread, but about something that happened "somewhere else". thought I should make that clear).

Anyway, to anyone who likes random scientific papers, mine (and several other people) is going to be published soon on this address!

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2148/14/205/abstract

Have fun (once it is out) :D, it is better than others on the same subject! (lol, suuuure)

Anyone who comes frequently to this forum might be interested to know that I have a project at that other place that just opened.

Modern world plus alien conspiracy. Should be fast-paced.

Moderator Action: Links to games on other sites can be placed in your signature, but please refrain from linking directly in posts. Thanks.

Where exactly is that listed in CFC Forum Rules? [Hint: I read the rules. It's not.]

This BS is exactly why I'm done with this forum. Sanctimonious, censoring fools twisting the rules to fit their personal agendas.

Go ahead, delete my post as PDMA and prove my point. I dare you. It will be a living example that PDMA is used to protect moderators who go outside the rules.

Advertising
Advertising is not allowed in any forum. Commercial advertising will be deleted on-sight, and the poster will receive a permanent ban. Commercial advertising, even in your signature, is not permitted.

This advertising policy extends to posting in or starting a thread in one forum, so as to entice people to visit a thread in another forum. If you want to do this, then place the advertisement in your signature.

External links related to the thread topic - such as to other history forums, or news articles - are acceptable.

If you have a civilization/history-related link to advertise, you can place one thread about it in our Other Civ Related Sites forum, or you may advertise it in your signature. For people wanting to advertise other things of interest to Civ players, you must receive permission from an admin first.

Because it is a civilization related link in question, he is free to advertise it in his signature. It's pretty plain in the rules here that in order to advertise for another site, it should be in the signature, not in a post on a thread. It's not as if such advertisements are banned, it's just not the purpose of this thread nor is this the correct thread to put it in. Talks are current ongoing about the possibility of a thread to provide links to forum games elsewhere, and we'll see where that takes us, but While We Wait is not an appropriate location.

This is utterly ridiculous.

Not really, utterly ridiculous would be a large triceratops wearing a conical hat while playing the bagpipes.

The forum rules are very clear on the matter at hand, very little interpretation is required. I quoted the place where it is directly stated in the rules where you can't do that as you requested. What, specifically, is your concern at this point?

Thlayli, like with PDMA http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19 you can complain about rules you don't like there. I'll support it, not every link should be considered advertisement after all. Thought no one wants a flood of blog links and youtube channels all over CFC I assume.

Also, I asked for a thread where IOTers and STGers could advertise games in NES, and EQ said he will take it up with the higher moderators. Cheesus so many capital letter words. Anyway, hopefully it would be agreeable by them, even if not everyone can play in both forums, which is somewhat an unfair balance, but eh, at least CFC has taken the all-inclusivity flag.

EQ Beat me to it. One other thing I will point out here, though it is not directly related to this question:

CFC has had a longstanding rule regarding posting about things that happen on other civ related sites:

Respect other Civ sites
We have friendly relationships with other Civ fansites and would like to keep it that way. Being disrespectful towards them or whining about happenings at another Civ site is not permitted.

While technically The Frontier is not purely a "Civ" site, it does fall under the intent of this rule and will be considered such for enforcement of this rule. Cross-site drama is not healthy for either site and it will not be permitted. Even the folks at the otherwise open natured approach to moderation at The Frontier recognize this and have prohibited posting about things that happen here.

Top Bottom