NiGHTS: General Discussion

Yes. I knew some of it is caused by uncompatibility. So next time I'll start with NIGHTS only. Do you have ETA for next release?

The UI problems are probably from conflicts as are any tile yield issues. The single unit graphics are getting switched back for the most part in the next version.

ETA for the next release is this coming weekend, but that all depends on how much of the art I can get finished as theres more than 30 new units/features coming.

Had to share this: I played my first game of NiGHTS and also (without giving it any thought) enabled emigration (awesome mod)... the one where you gain citizens for having a high happiness compared to other civs.

The game (surprisingly, in retrospect) went pretty well until 1910 or so, when my happiness climbed to around 50. Then I started to see some emigration. One new pop every couple turns, then a couple every turn. by the time I realized my mistake, i was getting maybe 15 new citizens per turn. Next turn, 30. Happiness climbed. Upon a new turn starting, every visible notification would be about new population coming to my (happier by the turn) civ. Before the game slowed to a glacial pace, 5 or so minutes between turns, and ultimately crashed, I had around 1400 citizens in each of my 3 cities. Happiness was somewhere around 2500. Every tech took one turn. All those unemployed citizens giving +1 hammer really added up, and any city could finish any item in a turn. It was 1930.

So, basically, don't use emigration and NiGHTS together :rolleyes:

Fun mod though!

So I just downloaded this mod, and I must say you have some very intersting ideas at play. Although I didn't play it much, I can see some serious potential here. I was particularly impressed by the artwork though; I couldn't really tell the difference from tech art that came from vanilla and that which you designed. Even the unit pictures were well formed. I think, just from looking around a little, that there will be some balancing issues, but I'm sure you will be able to stomp them out with time. I will definitely be keeping my eye on NiGHTS as it progresses

So I just downloaded this mod, and I must say you have some very intersting ideas at play. Although I didn't play it much, I can see some serious potential here. I was particularly impressed by the artwork though; I couldn't really tell the difference from tech art that came from vanilla and that which you designed. Even the unit pictures were well formed. I think, just from looking around a little, that there will be some balancing issues, but I'm sure you will be able to stomp them out with time. I will definitely be keeping my eye on NiGHTS as it progresses

Thanks for the compliments:)
It's true, there are some balance issues currently at stake. Happiness generally balloons from 1000-1700 to +100 and then levels off as Military Unhappiness brings it back down in the Modern Era.

The next update will address this and other issues - I had planned to release it this weekend but with the news of the impending patch I'll hold off until I've tested it out.

The next patch is, however, going to be massive with upwards of 10-20 new Buildings, 30+ new Units, 30+ Improvements, and a reworked Government system that is closer to CIV IV Civics in its implementation.

There's also a MAJOR change I wont reveal yet, but it turns things more upside down than Citizens producing Happiness rather than Unhappiness.

So, for a third time, Update 1.27 will be delayed until next weekend, (Dec 18/19), so I can flush out any post-patch issues.

OK, so we're halfway to the weekend. How is the update coming along? Do you think it will be ready then, or can I go ahead and start a new game?

i really like this mod and won't play civ without - unfortunatly this time has come today after all those windows updates this week and or civ patch (dont know exactly) the game suddenly turned to german language and with that your very nice mod doesn't work anymore - well it worked just with the techtree and new units but the policys turned to the vanilla ones. so i deleted the mod for a new installation but now i can't do that, download is working but there's no button for mod installation - very weard :(
any help or solution would be appreciated

btw a few more new units for medieval or renaissance era would be nice;)
ok i should have read the posts before...

keep working on!

The latest patch has essentially destroyed most features in NiGHTS and it will take me some time to figure out what exactly is causing conflicts. The update itself is finished, so if I can figure out what's causing various graphical errors/yield errors/lua errors/sql errors - I'll hopefully get the mod up and running sometime this weekend. But again, this may end up taking awhile.

Not exactly the most mod-friendly version of CIV...

Update

I've managed to isolate most of the problems I've experienced with the mod and things are coming along at a good pace. One issue that remains is that Custom Unit/Building Art is currently not functioning, (the .dds files aren't loading so the devs probably changed .dds formats I'm guessing)...

I'd like to avoid releasing the mod with generic CiV art is I find this takes the player out of the game, so to speak. A little custom art goes a long way in my books as far as immersion is concerned.

I'll be working nights these next two days and wont be able to look into this, so if anyone comes across anything regarding this issue, please post as I'll be checking in every few hours from my phone.

Check the main creations forum, thread "what the patch wrecked", the .dds thing is fixable supposedly.

markusbeutel ; )

First off, EXCELLENT Effort & Tons of Luv for staying active with your responses !!!

Second, Of ALL, of the 100 or So MODS I've played on Civ V, THIS is my #1 Favorite !!! Your Larger Unit Scales are 100% UNIQUE...There isn't another MOD that Competes. I tried R.E.D. but then realized I kept ZOOMing in ta see the Graphics...fail... These Larger Single Unit Scales Really connect ya with each Unit Rather than a faceless Mob ; )

I didn't feel the impact of any issues mentioned above except that many NEW Unit Mods like Marine Unit & Medics override you Larger Scales for ALL Units... I kept yours & deleted the others ; )

However I fear there is One NEW ISSUE... That could be worked around but I bet you'll be able to fix it, if it is in fact related to this MOD.

I Play Tested on East vs. West/Tiny/Chieftain/Quick at least 10 times removing all MODS that I could part with till Civilization NiGHTS was the only one left = (

I got WAY into late Game Turns without any Problems, BUT eventually I kept getting a CRASH !!

Finally narrowed it down... The CRASH is avoidable up until the moment you click on DYNAMITE or MILITARY SCIENCE, which are Techs that have been moved to a Dead End. I got all the way to the Future Era without clicking on these two Techs until I tried to slow down my Research & went back to the ones I'd skipped...BTW, I Luv the idea of a broken Tree & skipping ahead to Gun Ships ( My Favorite Unite.) I don't even care about Dynamite & Military Science, However I'm Still NOT 100% sure a CRASH can be avoided & if a Victory can be achieved as the Mod is now... Not much time left before the Holidays to Test...

Anyway, Thanks for your all your efforts & for reading ; )

LASTLY

If you're going ta release "Options"

PLEASE Let One be As Simple as Your Own New Units which are Really COOL
Along with
LARGE SCALE Land & Sea UNITS (Except for the New Spanish Tercio Unit, I think 4 Units Scaled to "FIT" in with the other Larger Units would Logically "Fit" the Idea of "The Spanish Square..." Maybe Even Just Two Units one With the Pike & the other with the Gun ; )

If it's simpler...
Even just the LARGE SCALE Land & Sea UNITS, all the other modifications while unique, they can be compared to other Mods out there... if they haven't All been destroyed by the Wonderful New Patch = P

!! Happy Holidays !!

markusbeutel ; )

First off, EXCELLENT Effort & Tons of Luv for staying active with your responses !!!

Second, Of ALL, of the 100 or So MODS I've played on Civ V, THIS is my #1 Favorite !!! Your Larger Unit Scales are 100% UNIQUE...There isn't another MOD that Competes. I tried R.E.D. but then realized I kept ZOOMing in ta see the Graphics...fail... These Larger Single Unit Scales Really connect ya with each Unit Rather than a faceless Mob ; )

I didn't feel the impact of any issues mentioned above except that many NEW Unit Mods like Marine Unit & Medics override you Larger Scales for ALL Units... I kept yours & deleted the others ; )

However I fear there is One NEW ISSUE... That could be worked around but I bet you'll be able to fix it, if it is in fact related to this MOD.

I Play Tested on East vs. West/Tiny/Chieftain/Quick at least 10 times removing all MODS that I could part with till Civilization NiGHTS was the only one left = (

I got WAY into late Game Turns without any Problems, BUT eventually I kept getting a CRASH !!

Finally narrowed it down... The CRASH is avoidable up until the moment you click on DYNAMITE or MILITARY SCIENCE, which are Techs that have been moved to a Dead End. I got all the way to the Future Era without clicking on these two Techs until I tried to slow down my Research & went back to the ones I'd skipped...BTW, I Luv the idea of a broken Tree & skipping ahead to Gun Ships ( My Favorite Unite.) I don't even care about Dynamite & Military Science, However I'm Still NOT 100% sure a CRASH can be avoided & if a Victory can be achieved as the Mod is now... Not much time left before the Holidays to Test...

Anyway, Thanks for your all your efforts & for reading ; )

LASTLY

If you're going ta release "Options"

PLEASE Let One be As Simple as Your Own New Units which are Really COOL
Along with
LARGE SCALE Land & Sea UNITS (Except for the New Spanish Tercio Unit, I think 4 Units Scaled to "FIT" in with the other Larger Units would Logically "Fit" the Idea of "The Spanish Square..." Maybe Even Just Two Units one With the Pike & the other with the Gun ; )

If it's simpler...
Even just the LARGE SCALE Land & Sea UNITS, all the other modifications while unique, they can be compared to other Mods out there... if they haven't All been destroyed by the Wonderful New Patch = P

!! Happy Holidays !!

Thanks for the feedback ZXVEL:

I've had mixed responses on the Single-Unit graphics up to this point with seemingly 50% for and 50% against. The latest patch has messed things up a little bit so the next update will revert back to normal sized army graphics.

As soon as I've managed to fix the Unit-scaling I'll release a version, probably here on CivFanatics, with the Single-Unit Graphics. I've run into a few snags after the patch so the next update will focus on adding new game-play features/Buildings/Governments. The new units I included might not make the initial transition as I will need to re-balance them based on the changes that the patch made to Vanilla Units.

This will only be temporary as, while the new update focuses on adding 30-40 buildings, I plan on giving the same treatment to new units in future updates. Ideally, I'll be able to flesh out the tech tree so every tech has a minimum of 3 buildings/units.

There are also some issues with collision detection where some over-sized units will seemingly take damage while not taking a direct hit so that's another area I plan on investigating.

Finally, the next update is coming along - I've been set back a decent ways by the patch - but things are now running smoothly. There's a chance I'll be able to release it on Sunday night, but I can't promise that. There's a significant game-play change coming that should trump ICS once and for all, and my main task, currently, is making sure the AI is programmed to abide by this change effectively.

I haven't encountered the Dynamite/Military Science bug, but seeing as this is the first time it's been mentioned, I feel this is probably due, again, to the latest patch.

Only thing I can 100% guarantee at this point is that the update WILL be completed before Christmas.

Are you planning to add soe buildings in modern / future eras? I hate the late game for the lack of options and just war oriented approach.

Are you planning to add soe buildings in modern / future eras? I hate the late game for the lack of options and just war oriented approach.

Update: Since the new patch was released CiV has been BlueScreenOfDeath-ing me every 20-30 minutes so I'm currently in the process of updating drivers/checking ram/swapping comp parts.

Sadly this will push back the next update. I'm currently aiming for a release for sometime over the Christmas break.

EDIT: Some major changes I've made regarding Social Policies, while complete and functioning, require replacing 4-5 core files instead of the 1-2 I was aiming for, (CiV doesn't really play nice in regards to modifying existing UI graphics). For the next update I'll release a version that doesn't involve any replacing of files as I believe it would just be too cumbersome to constantly swap them in/out depending on what mods are installed. At a future date I'll release the advanced version here on CFC for anyone inclined to try it out.

Also, the next update will attempt to be more compatible with other mods so if anyone has any favorites, feel free to post them and I'll see what I can do to avoid any conflicts.

I wish you all well on Christmas. You are doing a great job. Take your time. Polish all what's unpolished yet:) Good luck with the next release... to all of us.

I wish you all well on Christmas. You are doing a great job. Take your time. Polish all what's unpolished yet:) Good luck with the next release... to all of us.

Ditto. I just played thru half a game, for some reason I don't get the save options in the menu, but I plays more like a civ game; I played after the game patch so I don't know what it was like before but I tend to like it anyway. It is certainly a great improvement in the right direction.:) (Just wish we could get gold trading thru open borders agreements like in civ 4, so open borders wouldn't just be for military purposes.)

Top Bottom