NiGHTS: General Discussion

Nice change log:) I have a little worries about pyramid tech tree. Early vanilla game have quite a bit amount of choices but in late/modern it has'nt, especially when it comes to buildings/wonders. That what it feels to me and I wonder how the pyramid tree will affect it.

hey love the mod...

but could you please pass the link for downloading it or upload it somewhere?

sadly i lost my internet connection at home so i cant update through the hub

Hello, so far this mod seems to be real great, but just a few turns ago, I adopted the Production policy - Plantation Upgrade, which (if I get it right) should give me +2 hammers for each Plantation tile worked, but the tiles still show only +4Food +4Gold, with no production bonus whatsoever. I have the game updated.

Where could be the problem?

Thanks for the answer.

Edit: Just noticed, I have a plantation on 3 silks, yet I have 0 silks in Luxury Resource overview :(
Edit2: I still get +1 happiness from Silk, but i'm unable to trade it.

I think Markus might have gone away on vacation. I remember him saying something about that. Some things in the mod got broken when the last Civ update came out. He has been working on a complete overhaul, not just a quick fix. I've given up on hoping for it soon, but I am certain it will be good when it finally gets here.

Back from vacation and working hard on finishing the mod. I'd like to get it out before the patch so some of you get a chance to play it before the patch breaks it again. I'm shooting for a release by Feb 20 so hopefully the patch is closer to the end of the month...

Some new additional changes:

1. NO unit maintenance. The fact that Units produce Unhappiness/Unrest is deterrent enough for building too many of them. It also eliminates the fuzzy numbers involved in calculating how much each of your units are costing you.

2. Building maintenance has been increased - in some cases by a significant amount => upwards of +20/25.
While this may seem harsh, the increase is a result of inflation being ELIMINATED from the game. What you see is what you get. The better the building, the higher the maintenance cost. This will of course be adjusted to later era's and not play as large a role early on when money isn't flowing as freely.

3. Road maintenance, as it were in Vanilla, has also been eliminated. Instead, Roads are now free to build EXCEPT when they run through specific improvements such as mines/farms/plantations/camps etc. Their placement will have to be strategic as running a road through an improvement will cost anywhere from 1-5 gold based on the improvement. I'm still tweaking the exact numbers but they will be documented.

4. Unique abilities are being replaced by a collection of pooled traits similar in style to CIV 4. While at first fun and interesting due to the sheer variety, there are too many traits imho to be properly balanced. I'm not saying this new collection of traits will be perfectly balanced, but they will be a hell of a lot more balanced than current Vanilla traits as well as previous traits from earlier versions of NiGHTS.

5. Tile yields have been adjusted to add a bit of variety to settling. Nothing extreme, but you will definitely have more options in regards to building spots.

6. Barbarians have been beefed up and initial player strength bonuses against Barbarians has been eliminated. They also appear less often, but when they do, you wont necessarily get an automatic win.

7. There's a new Training System for select Veteran Military Units and Great People. Think Materia meets Civ...

8. The Tech Tree - as mentioned before - now plays like a Pyramid. If you've played the new Civ board game you'll sort of understand how this works.

9. Each of the 10 Governments has 6+ sub-policies. When I say 6+, this is because some policies can be upgraded/leveled up similar to how starting city plots level up...

10. Last thing - Research Agreements are gone. If people have a problem with this I could potentially put them back in.

Holy crap, I love this mod. Still playing my first game with it and I love it 100%. My absolute favorite part of it is the simple fact that there are downsides to Policies and the fact that luxury resources have a use other than being sold en masse to other civs to make me 5000 gold richer.

Back from vacation and working hard on finishing the mod. I'd like to get it out before the patch so some of you get a chance to play it before the patch breaks it again. I'm shooting for a release by Feb 20 so hopefully the patch is closer to the end of the month...

Good to hear you are back. Great mod.:)

Glad to see you aren't lounging around on a desert island anymore. I'm really looking forward to the release... it's not another tease, I hope.

3. Road maintenance, as it were in Vanilla, has also been eliminated. Instead, Roads are now free to build EXCEPT when they run through specific improvements such as mines/farms/plantations/camps etc. Their placement will have to be strategic as running a road through an improvement will cost anywhere from 1-5 gold based on the improvement. I'm still tweaking the exact numbers but they will be documented.

How about, roads will improve the production yield of an improvement for the cost of whatever you decide, if for example I want to run a road through a tile with a mine, a farm or a plantation, I'll pay for the road but get more production, and then again with railroad. It's kind of motivation to build roads on improvements, otherwise, the best will be just to place roads on tiles with no improvements.

10. Last thing - Research Agreements are gone. If people have a problem with this I could potentially put them back in.

The best idea ever!

How about, roads will improve the production yield of an improvement for the cost of whatever you decide, if for example I want to run a road through a tile with a mine, a farm or a plantation, I'll pay for the road but get more production, and then again with railroad. It's kind of motivation to build roads on improvements, otherwise, the best will be just to place roads on tiles with no improvements.

I thought about doing something like this but with the amount of new buildings and features the next version of NiGHTS is going to have the end result would be overpowering in regards to production.

I may introduce a feature where only the tiles directly adjacent to a city get a production bonus from roads or a similar bonus that doesn't involve roads.

On pace for a release this weekend - at the latest Sunday night. Pray they don't release the patch before then...

Glad to hear.

I turned off updates, don't go online and copied the folder as well. Didn't know they were going to "update" again. Wish they had just waited another year and released a game that didn't require constant "updates.":D

Interesting bug:

Every time I try to research Dynamite, my game crashes. Any game. At all.

Yes a bug so that you can't research to build artillery but the AI can't either so the balance as it were stays the same.

Yes a bug so that you can't research to build artillery but the AI can't either so the balance as it were stays the same.

But I can't research ANYTHING past it either? I'm okay with not getting Dynamite, but when it also affects every other tech past it, it just seems kind of...silly.

But I can't research ANYTHING past it either? I'm okay with not getting Dynamite, but when it also affects every other tech past it, it just seems kind of...silly.

There are a few Techs that the old patch corrupted - however you should be able to go past Dynamite. Possibly a mod conflict or a cache issue.

Is it possible to disable the oversized single units?

Single-Unit graphics will revert back to normal for the next update. I will release a standalone version with the single unit graphics. I may yet slightly tweak unit sizes so specific units like ships are larger.

I will be releasing the next update sometime tomorrow - just finishing some play-testing until then.

Here's a brief peek at the new Government Visuals. I went for something basic and less cluttered than the Vanilla Policies screen. I also did this because I needed the extra space - you'll see why tomorrow night.

Also a picture of the new Tech Pyramid in action. The Pyramid - while fully functional - will be getting ongoing UI updates as I havn't yet implemented the UI for era's. For now the era's are divided up by which tier they are in. This is documented in both the help tool-tip for the Tech and in the Governments screen. As for how it works, you need to research the two techs that lead to the next tech that's in front and in between them. The system works well as you can bee-line to a certain extent but will eventually have to research all techs to finally get to the end. The number of Techs has been decreased as I found end game techs generally just amounted to military units.

That's not to say there's less units or buildings in the game. Each Tech now has a minimum of 4-5 buildings/units/improvements/resources. In total there are over 30+ new buildings, 10+ new units, 40+ new improvements, 30+ great people, and 75+ new policies.

Buildings themselves are more strategic in that many require a combination of luxury resources and specific terrain nearby to be built.

Finally, the HELP pedia - which I've renamed the CIVILOPEDIA, (because being named HELP was just aggravating), is also a work in progress and will require some heavy documenting in regards to all the new features the latest build of NiGHTS is going to have. Everything you need to know will be documented extensively in in-game tool-tips to get you over the learning curve.

I'll re-publish the front-page sometime tomorrow or monday and go over all of the new changes in more depth.

PS - the CIV 4 Tech icons are just for nostalgia on my part. I'll replace them with CIV 5 artwork in future updates. Also, the new upcoming patch WILL break this mod again and it will probably take at least a week or two to sort things out. If you want to keep playing tomorrow night's release you'd do well to TURN OFF automatic updates in Steam or else you'll encounter bugs for sure.

Attachments

• Governments.jpg
    Governments.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 373
  • TechPyramid.jpg
    TechPyramid.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 340
Front page of this thread has all the details of the latest update.

RELEASED Civilization NiGHTS 2.0 as of 4:27am Feb 11, 2011.

Sorry to the 2 people that downloaded a test-version. Enjoy your Palace producing 1000 Science points:)

Hello!

First post ever here, even though i've been reading it for a long time and playing civ for 15+ years :)

I felt i had to register just to give my appreciation to this mod! Some extremely good ideas and groundbreaking new functionalities. The tech pyramid is pure genius!

A few questions/thoughts/possible bugs: (I've only played the mod for a couple of hours, started a few different civs and settings)

Are all civs supposed to start with agriculture like in vanilla? I'm guessing not, since i haven't recieved it at start with any civ i tried. But i notice that no civs have it as their starting civ. Also, if i open tech tree, i can't choose agriculture there, nor do i get any info if i hover over the icons. (All other techs work fine in tech tree view)

I do have the DLC civs installed (spain, babylon etc) and i notice that you haven't assigned new starting stats for them. Could this be a potential cause for bugs? Also, do you plan to include them in the future?

I don't get any notifications (from city-states, new policies etc). According to your info, there should be smaller icons showing? I get the sound playing, but no message or icon. The end turn-button does change, both for new policies and when a city-state requires help etc.

I understand your change to call happiness stabily/unrest, since it's a new way to implement it. Overall i think it will work out great, hard to see if it's balanced yet (i played my games on immortal, and it seemed ok at start). You still have the wording "happiness" in a couple of menus etc, just need to change it all through. Also, a suggestion, for the stabily overview menu when you hover at the topbar. There you list all the things giving a plus, and then all the negative ones. The plus from population comes as a modifier to the negative side, it's a minor issue of course, but why not just list it up with the bonuses? So you first add up all the buildings, population etc, and get a total. Then subtract military etc and get a final score. Would be more logical, at least from my perspective.

Anyway, back to playing! Thanks again for giving us players an incentive to dive back into the world of civ :)

Will give more feedback later on.

edit: Thought i saw something else, but i was mistaken. Back to the game again :)

Top Bottom