Why can't my privateer attack this coastal city?

PurpleMonkeyD86

Chieftain
I'm in the middle of an important war here, and my privateer is unable to attack Honolulu, which is clearly on the coast. I spent all its level ups on being able to attack/raid coastal cities. I am mystified as to what I am doing wrong...?

In this picture you can see that the option to attack isn't selectable.

Please help. :confused:

There is so much wrong with posting a thread about Civ5 in the Beyond Earth section...

This should be moved to I think general Civ5 discussion.

Knights and privateers in 1962...obvious trolling.

I dunno, I had Knights in 1962 AD in my very first Civ game, and they were the most advanced units in my army. Didn't have Privateers yet, though. So PurpleMonkeyD86 is ahead of where I was technologically in my first game.

I'm guessing there is a neutral unit stationed in the city, e.g. a great admiral from a civ that is friends with you and has open borders with Polynesia. Try again next turn, if it is something like this it should move.

Have you tried moving the privateer on Honululu? It's not a ranged unit, you know.

I'm seeing the melee icon grayed out, has it already pillaged something this turn?

It probably has something to do with not having enough moves, as it says that it's down to 1/5. You might be able to on the next turn if you click on the shield icon. But honestly, you'll be smoked if you try to take a capital with a few melee units. Get some siege units, ranged units, and ranged vessels before you try to get serious about taking a city. Melee units are mostly just for taking out other units, and coming in and putting the finishing touches on the city when it's at 0 health.

Yes, bring at least 3-5 frigates with promotions. By this time, you should have battleships!

Perhaps it's just a UI problem? You could try using the right-click to attack and see if it works. I only control my units with the keyboard so I'm not sure if the command bar has any weird quirks.

Could be what joncnunn suggested as well, that it's already pillaged something.

It seems like you're at war against those Polynesian sheeps..

*cough*

I had to do it. XD

Anyways, Are you at war against polynesia?

Honolulu probably have like about 150+ HP which cannot be defeated by a single privateer.

Have you tried mousing over honolulu and clicking it?

And hmm, it don't look like there is a friendly unit in honolulu.

Try reloading civ5 and see if you can attack it now?

Anyways, Are you at war against Polynesia?

I think that is it. If you have not already DoW'd the attack option is grayed out. You can initiate a DoW by attacking, but the first thing that happens is that your units are kicked out of your opponents territory. That privateer only has one move left, so once its knocked back, you won't be able to attack the city anyway.

In the meantime, you can try using the 3 key on the numeric keyboard to force the move, since the mouse does not seem to be cooperating.

Top Bottom