What next? Emperor, Dutch

GZRD

Chieftain
Standard size map, 8 civs, I'm the dutch. Attached is my save. I've been doing well - met almost everyone, level in tech and occasionally ahead.

This is where I get a little lost. I'm not sure what my objective is after the growing... Keep settling? Where? There's not much nice real estate left nearby. France is sitting on some nice land...

Start cranking workers and cut back jungle?

Start to strengthen military?

Give me some tips!

The save is attached (C3C 1.22)

EDIT:

I'm research CoL with the hope of Philo then slingshot to Republic but I know I need more cities and infrastructure for that to be worthwhile. I'm also way underweight in military strength. I guess my ideas would be:

- Start alternating Worker-Settler from the Amsterdam (settler factory).
- Hook up iron, start building some swordsman.
- Start maximizing all tiles with the growing worker force.
- Stay out of war (so far no threats or trespasses) until I have infrastructure and a few more cities (don't know where to put em, though). But keep adding to military now...

Then see where I'm at in a few turns?

Attachments

• 5-DUTCH-2030.SAV
    80.6 KB · Views: 197
Some tips inline:
Standard size map, 8 civs, I'm the dutch. Attached is my save. I've been doing well - met almost everyone, level in tech and occasionally ahead.

This is where I get a little lost. I'm not sure what my objective is after the growing... Keep settling? Where? There's not much nice real estate left nearby. France is sitting on some nice land...
-->The desert to the west is very nice land. Remember: you are agricultural!

Start cranking workers and cut back jungle?
-->Workers: yes. Cut back jungle: no. In order to get a jungle tile to 2/1/1, you need 24 + 6 + 3 = 33 turns. In order to get a desert tile to 2/1/1, you need 4 + 3 = 7 turns...! First improve all the plains, grasslands and deserts within reach, then worry about the jungle.

Start to strengthen military?

Give me some tips!
Don't build a temple in Rotterdam. Temples are a waste of shields. The iron can much better be connected by settling another town 1S of the gold hill. It'll be a crap town for quite some time, but at size 3 working the grassland, the gold and the iron hill, it'll be better than a temple...
Switch the temple to barracks and make Rotterdam your military producer.
Connect the silks asap.

The save is attached (C3C 1.22)

EDIT:

I'm research CoL with the hope of Philo then slingshot to Republic but I know I need more cities and infrastructure for that to be worthwhile.
--> Republic is always worthwhile! So revolt as soon as you get it.
I'm also way underweight in military strength. I guess my ideas would be:

- Start alternating Worker-Settler from the Amsterdam (settler factory).
- Hook up iron, start building some swordsman.
- Start maximizing all tiles with the growing worker force.
- Stay out of war (so far no threats or trespasses) until I have infrastructure and a few more cities (don't know where to put em, though). But keep adding to military now...

Then see where I'm at in a few turns?

- Build settlers until you drop. Just keep building them and keep making cities until you have no more land to fill.
- Like said before, go for the deserts and the grass tiles first, let the AI do the jungle and marches. Those tribes will have too much trouble clearing it up, so don't be afraid the Vikings will grow far into them.
- I don't know if it's the best way to do it, but I have small cities early on (1 and 2) and build settlers and workers and never let the population sit in the cities. Any size 3 city should be making a settler. At least that's how I do it.
- Don't forget some military, but as long as you're ok, don't overdo it.
- Roads. Always connect your cities to take full advantage of your resources, to add commerce and to make your units move faster.
- Grab as many luxuries and resources as soon as you can. There are silks waiting to be taken and traded.
- Build more workers? ;)

Top Bottom