HOF Questions & Answers

What about crashes during the AI's turn? France had just asked to be friends and the game wouldn't respond to clicks then crashed. Never had a crash happen in between player turns before.

Question, and sorry if this has already been answered, but does using the Enhanced Interface DLC disqualify entries?

Question, and sorry if this has already been answered, but does using the Enhanced Interface DLC disqualify entries?

I think that came up earlier in this thread and it was okay, because it just changes the interface, not the gameplay or otherwise lets you cheat.

Yeah, I know the crash procedure, but there's nothing in there about crashes between turns. So what would I do?

It does not mention any condition on when it crashed. Just load your latest autosave and send an email detailing what happened with the save.

Yeah, I know the crash procedure, but there's nothing in there about crashes between turns. So what would I do?

Maybe it is better to ask. What sentence in the procedure do you find unclear?

Maybe it is better to ask. What sentence in the procedure do you find unclear?

It's not that it's unclear, just that it doesn't address this particular circumstance. In a normal crash, I'd load the autosave, play the turn over with the same choices as much as possible, then manually save, and would send those two saves.
Would I load the last autosave or the one before it? When would I manually save? For that matter, when does the game autosave, after your turn or before?

The game autosaves immediately after the barbarians finish their moves on your "turn" -- on each numbered turn, human player goes first, then the AIs (in the same order each turn), then the CSs and finally the barbs. That autosave is labeled with the turn number of the just-completed turn, but when you load that autosave you are at the beginning of the next turn and able to give instructions for your turn.

So, if the game crashes during the AI, CS or barb "turns" after you hit "next turn" on turn 128, the last autosave (assuming have autosave set for every turn) will be labeled as the turn 127 autosave, and when you load that autosave you will be at the beginning of turn 128 again.

It's not that it's unclear, just that it doesn't address this particular circumstance. In a normal crash, I'd load the autosave, play the turn over with the same choices as much as possible, then manually save, and would send those two saves.
Would I load the last autosave or the one before it? When would I manually save? For that matter, when does the game autosave, after your turn or before?

Load the latest autosave unless that causes the game to crash again. If there is no action or no ability to save between the autosave and the crash, then write that in your email.

If I'm reading this post correctly the Wonders of of the Ancient World DLC is allowed for a BNW game, but the Rules page doesn't even mention either BNW or WotAW DLC. Can ya'll please update the rules page?

All DLC is fine to have installed & enabled for BNW. The only DLC that will actually appear in a HOF game are the ancient wonders and the various civs. Stuff like map packs & scenarios just give you more choices when setting up a game, but will change nothing when setting up a game with an allowed maptype.

I have made a very interesting mistake: accidentally typed Alt+q, and a "you have been defeated" screen appeared. I checked this, and every time this is the result after the Alt+q combination on the keyboard. It is just good to know, but could somebody give me some advice, what to do with my game in order to be accepted by the HOF staff? Thank you! :)

namib

Use the last autosave to continue.
Then use the "crash" mail procedure to continue.

Is there a page that lists all the old challenges, with links to the discussions? I'd like to try a few, and seeing other peoples comments is helpful. I see the first few on the homepage.

Apologies if this is obvious - searched this thread and the main page, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks (and thanks to the mods for running this)!
zz

Is there a page that lists all the old challenges, with links to the discussions? I'd like to try a few, and seeing other peoples comments is helpful. I see the first few on the homepage.

Apologies if this is obvious - searched this thread and the main page, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks (and thanks to the mods for running this)!
zz

You talking about the Gauntlets? You can see all the past gauntlets by using the dropdowns on the Minor and Major tabs of the Gauntlet page. Each Gauntlet has a link to it's forum thread.

I read through all 21 pages and I didn't find anything that addresses this. I play vanilla (yes, I am a dinosaur). I have found that with each new patch, it becomes harder and hard to play at the higher difficulty levels. For example, the going rate for selling a luxury is now down to 200G or less. Very early it was as high as 300G. It is impossible to sell open borders as the AI now thinks it is worthless. These successive changes makes it nearly impossible to challenge games played on earlier patches.

I'm not sure how it can be done, but has some consideration been given to accounting for these patches in the HOF?

I read through all 21 pages and I didn't find anything that addresses this. I play vanilla (yes, I am a dinosaur). I have found that with each new patch, it becomes harder and hard to play at the higher difficulty levels. For example, the going rate for selling a luxury is now down to 200G or less. Very early it was as high as 300G. It is impossible to sell open borders as the AI now thinks it is worthless. These successive changes makes it nearly impossible to challenge games played on earlier patches.

I'm not sure how it can be done, but has some consideration been given to accounting for these patches in the HOF?

It's true that the last "fall patch" changed the game very significantly. Not as significantly as the addition of BNW itself... still it's a valid point. But, if I recall, BNW wasn't added to the HOF *until* the fall patch, and as far as I know, there haven't been any significant patches since. I'm pretty sure the HOF staff delays opening expansions to HOF play until they're considered "stable".

So, not a huge issue, IMHO.

Hi. I just got all the expansions and DLCs a week ago and I am starting to go after a few medals. I used to be an active HOF participant with Civ IV and i am wondering if there are similar tools available to those we had back then. I dont see a map regeneration programm or an official mod anywhere.

I am currently trying to get a good game on a shuffle map and am going insane with all the restarts. It would be really nice if there was a program i could run overnight to create starts all the time and keep those where you don't see ocean at the start. The other really usefull thing would be a better interface. For example getting notifications when city borders have grown or when the AI has money. Is there a list with allowed mods? Are any mods allowed at all?

Top Bottom