The Doctor is coming, the Doctor is coming!!

Could a British person please explain what an estate is in the context it was used near the beginning of tonight's show? Neighborhood? Political district?

Not a bad episode at all, this one.

A housing estate. So a large development of residential blocks, probably fairly grim.
Okay, thanks. That was the impression I was getting from the context it was used in. It's just that it means pretty much the opposite over here, so I wanted confirmation. Over here, if you use the word estate in relation to a piece of property, it's usually in reference to one person's very opulent mansion on a large piece of privately owned land. Think "The Clampett Estate" in The Beverly Hillbillies :D

I'd need to think through the other episodes - I remember really loving some of them -, but it's certainly a very solid contender for the title.

Which is just as well because I wasn't a big fan of the last few (not just kill the moon).

I thought Mummy on the Orient Express and Flatline were both exceptional episodes, by DW standards. This season hasn't had a single episode* below the quality of any 11 era stuff.

*I refused to watch Robot of Sherwood, so my experience isn't tainted.

Why all the hate for Robot of Sherwood? I liked it. It was fun and despite the silliness managed to ask a few interesting questions and pose some interesting problems. Whether it answered them might be questionable.

Clara's dress was nice in that story. The actor playing Robin was cute. Nowhere near as cute as Cary Elwes in Robin Hood: Men in Tights, but adequate.

I found Robots of Sherwood enjoyable, personally. It mostly suffers from the comparison of coming right after one of the best Dalek stories since Dalek, and right before Listen. Hard to shine in that position.

Then we got the confused mass of bad plot that was Time Heist (Urrrrgh), the Danny-and-Clara-and-the-Doctor (bad) sitcom that was The Caretaker (Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhh), and the rather silly Kill the Moon (Meh). Mummy on the Orient Express was a vast improvement, but still too tangled in Clara's sitcomish inability to chose between the doctor and Danny and kind of making her look bipolar about the doctor. These elements were in Flatline too, but handled much better, and combined with a very strong story.

Meeeeh. Visuals were top notch, but the pacing was weird, and the solution to the mystery was pretty unsatisfying. I'm also really not a fan of the whole "mental illness is magical" thing. But it kept me generally entertained for forty-five minutes, and while that's disappointing after such a stellar run of episodes, I can't complain too much.

That trailer at the end tho...

The forest episode was a bit "what the hell dude". And that's pretty much all I can say.

I disliked this episode, generally.

I liked it well enough - reminded me in terms of themes and whatnot of the Space Whale episode early in Amy's run.

Not as good as last week's, but still on the solid end of the spectrum, and I'd rewatch it over Mummy, let alone Time Heist/Caretaker/Kill the Moon. Probably over Robots of Sherwood too.

REALLY wondering how THAT line in the preview is going to play out. Has Moffat been pulling a fast one on us all this time?

I should call the fire department and tell them they've been doing it wrong. They need to dump pure oxygen on a fire to put it out, not water.

What a ridiculous story.

It certainly gave "Kill the Moon" a run for its money as far as silly science goes, but I really liked the idea of the forest. The kids worked well too.

Really getting annoyed by these American-style previews at the end though. I have to leap to the TV and turn it off before we see anything. I don't even know whether this programme has closing credits.

The kids were entertaining, but the episode was bad. The plot made little sense, there was nothing to beat and thus the doctor was useless, and the explanation was ridiculous. Not a fan of that one. Also the finale preview with cybermen looks absolutely horrid. Why did they pick the worst recurring villains?

Really getting annoyed by these American-style previews at the end though. I have to leap to the TV and turn it off before we see anything. I don't even know whether this programme has closing credits.

They generally spoil the best bits of the episodes too!

Yeah, this one was dreadful. It's very first-drafty with half-written scenes and weird asides. There were too many conflicting themes for it to be about anything:

Spoiler :

- Why do maple trees grow so high? What IS a maple tree? Why are there so many tr--oh, it's bigger on the inside. Pfft! No questions there! Children are so insightful, aren't they. So tenacious. I have no idea where they were trying to go with this. It would make sense if the story was more obviously about Clara shifting responsibilities from carousing with an older man in a phone booth to providing for the next generation. But that's Pink's job.
- Yes, Clara and Pink are dating. And yet Pink is quite forgiving of Clara's lying, undoing a plot thread that was humming along quite well before this botchfest.
- "Tetsuo! Tetsuooooo! TETSUOOOOOOOO!!!! THE FOREST FAIRIES ARE TALKING THROUGH YOU!" So many cliches with the mentally ill girl who leaves clues in her drawings. Not too long before the government agency comes running...oh wait, they're trying to burn trees, carry on.
- Little Red Riding Hood references. Going nowhere, fast.
- It takes the Doctor 45 minutes to figure out what the audience already knew about the trees.
- Let's run around a sound stage and cut to CGI shots to make it look bigger. Too unfair?
- It's also strange for a children's show to be so patronizing to its audience. The child characters were extremely broadly written.

Top Bottom