General A New Dawn discussion

I do believe this is the most 'Worst Enemy' icons I've had on the scoreboard at any one time! :lol:

Civ4ScreenShot3013.JPG

(And before anyone asks, I'm still running Isolationism and not Imperium or anything like that ;) )

What did you do to achieve that, I wonder? Bribing more wars?

I bribed about six in one turn at one point :p
Between that and a declaration on Siam (Five war chariots decimated his entire fledgling empire. Awesome.) and several on Babylon and England I made a lot of enemies fairly quickly heh. Asoka, Alexander, and Ashur all like me but Willhemia finally had enough and declared on me - we wrestled over a border city for a while which I finally took back, then Alex declared on her. Pretty much the only friends I have in this world :lol:

Though Monty seems to like me a bit, but that's probably from all the techs I gifted him so he could fight back a rebellion he was suffering from plus shared religion.

AND is NOT compatiable with AND 2, seperate mods.

If you install one version, you need to uninstall all others, as it supposidly confuses the exe file.

Only one version of Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn, can be installed. SVN versions are different, as all based on same Game version.

Ashur dropped out of Friendly relations because of 'border tension'. Wonder why, when he settled two cities wedged between three of my own and is using his Fixed Borders to claim a tile that has 100% of my own culture in it (100% and it's still under his control? Curse you Fixed Borders!! :lol: )
Only guarded by a single Longbow too, sheesh.

Civ4ScreenShot3015.JPG

That war declaration this time I had nothing to do with. ;)
Wilhemina bribed Babylon into the war after Monty sailed some troops over and razed one of her coastal cities. Babylon doesn't have any way of getting to the Aztecs so I don't foresee much coming from this.

I also checked, and out of the 31 leaders in the game 12 are Furious with me and 10 others are Annoyed. I'm only Friendly with three (Monty went from Pleased to Friendly after he declared on the Dutch, whom I was at war with)

Asoka and Alexander of all people are the other two. Ashur was Friendly up until my second declaration on the Dutch which coupled with his idiotic placement of cities caused him to drop out of Friendly. Currently he's the only leader Pleased with me, the Hitties having dropped to Cautious after my third and latest declaration on the Dutch. Largely positive modifiers but those two declarations put him at Cautious.

It's interesting - to me at least - that the vast majority of the cultures are over on the Japan landmass (Playing a scenario) while only a handful are on the main continent. Quite a lot of border tension must be going on over there, but it's been pretty quiet on that continent. What a shame :p
It's my first time in the Republic civic since it was reworked too! Massive shrine income from founding Naghualism and it spreading like a weed is probably helping with the maintenance costs a lot heh

Two posts in a short period of time but, something unusual I noticed in rev838...
Is that when I was fighting Siam early on in the game, his 'empire' survived for a full turn AFTER the message "The Siamese civilization has been destroyed!" came up, then he vanished. I do not have 'Require Complete Kills' on either.

Much later this popped up again with the Dutch, except it's been several full turns since I took her last city. :confused:
Civ4ScreenShot3016.JPG

As for that tile that Ashur refused to let go of...
Civ4ScreenShot3017.JPG

I just asked him to switch into Republic and on the following turn he lost several of his tiles that his military was holding :D
He went from -3 to -2 in border tension penalties too!

*Edit* Aaand right after I posted this message and ended my turn, she disappeared from the graph as she should have three turns ago :rolleyes:
Gave me a *second* "The Dutch have been destroyed!" message when it did.... It's weird but, when I discovered Sailing the game gave me two Galleys and the 'rumor about men that can travel across the seas' came up twice as well. How strange.

How come some temples give unhappiness in some cities, and in other cities not?

Almost won a game just by building that Bible wonder. Well, still a bit away from winning (Religion dominance shot up to around 57%). Spread to several dozen cities - most of which I had no connection to (Borders were closed, no embassy, worst enemy... Yet it spread there anyway?) and seven AI converted on the following turn, several already had their own religion and in Washington's case, one he had founded himself :eek:

I do not like this wonder :p

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot3018.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot3018.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 49
Well, I really like the idea of the wonder, but perhaps its effect is a little extreme. Still, as I said to Afforess, it needs to have a significant effect for it to be worth being a wonder.

Well, I really like the idea of the wonder, but perhaps its effect is a little extreme. Still, as I said to Afforess, it needs to have a significant effect for it to be worth being a wonder.

The only reason I bothered with it was because I could build it in 16 turns, and because I had assumed that since I only had Open Borders with four other AIs out of 31 (Yeah, I wasn't particularly loved in this game :p ) that it would essentially be a useless effect and would be building it merely for denial purposes. Instead, it pretty much spread to the bulk of the world, sans cities I did not yet know about and ones belonging to leaders I was at war with. I thought it was only supposed to spread to ones I was connected to? How do you manage that without Open Borders :confused:

The effect definitely is more noticeable on larger maps, but how pretty much everyone - even founders of their own religion - converted on the turn I completed it... :crazyeye:

What if there was a cap to how many cities it could spread to?

I believe Afforess suggested 5-7 cities, scaled by world size, with an increase in local religious spread.

Did you have Right of Passage rather than Open Borders? A map wih lots of coasts would help your holy books spread quickly as well.

I believe Afforess suggested 5-7 cities, scaled by world size, with an increase in local religious spread.

Did you have Right of Passage rather than Open Borders? A map wih lots of coasts would help your holy books spread quickly as well.

Nope. I can't get any of the AIs to give me even that much. Marked out in red so I can't even ask them for it. I was at war with Carthage only a few centuries ago and razed one of their cities, Darius hates me a great deal (I only bribed two people into war against him... :mischief: ), so I don't have RoP agreements with anyone. :confused:

There's lots of coast indeed, but shouldn't you need an embassy/RoP/OpenBorders for that to work?

I really couldn't say!

I really couldn't say!

Right now the wonder's description seems to be misleading, since it's affecting cities it really shouldn't be. I'm taking 'connected to' as in a similar manner to the connectedness/TR mechanics where you need RoP at least for it to count, so I might be off - if it does indeed ignore RoP and Open Borders, and that's how it was meant to be, then it should really say something to the effect of spreading to any and all cities you know of. The only cities it didn't spread to were ones I was at war with or were still hidden in the fog - I didn't even need to be connected to them to have it spread! They had 'potential' connections, being on the coast and etc, but I didn't actually have a connection to them due to the closed borders (And some of the AI refused to speak to me at all, due to "Ceased Relations")

Via Appia: I love this wonder. I like to expand, and often times I just expand so much (or just can't afford paved roads or get stone late) I just can't build enough roads. Even with it's rather annoying prerequisite (4 paved roads, which when they come they're pretty expensive), paving the roads in my entire empire and making transfer of units much, much easier, it's just great.

Especially in my recent game; trapped between two heathens that declare war on me right and left, it made by life way way easier.

What's the Power threshold for Imperium to consider a civilization 'weaker' than yourself?
I just adopted it and Korea (At 1.1 strength) just dropped to Cautious from the -3 extra "Your Civics harm us" penalty for being weaker than me. So I am 'technically' stronger than him, but not by much.

I'd have thought Imperium would harm truly weak civs, but not ones of similar strength - which are at that point hardly 'weaker civilizations' heh

What's the Power threshold for Imperium to consider a civilization 'weaker' than yourself?
I just adopted it and Korea (At 1.1 strength) just dropped to Cautious from the -3 extra "Your Civics harm us" penalty for being weaker than me. So I am 'technically' stronger than him, but not by much.

I'd have thought Imperium would harm truly weak civs, but not ones of similar strength - which are at that point hardly 'weaker civilizations' heh

The text actually says, "relations with less powerful civilizations", power is measured by the score on the scoreboard. Strength, as in unit strength, is different than power.

Top Bottom