Civ 5 1.0.2.13 DX10/11 Crash

I have the most up to date ATI drivers and it's not working.

Edit: So it turns out that Steam's driver updater doesn't actually know what the most up to date drivers are, and a quick visit to the AMD website got my video drivers up to date and Civ 5 working again :D

I just went to the AMD site to update my driver. We'll see if that solves the problem. Everything seemed ok. It went to the next turn then I clicked to enhance my religion. When I went to choose my enhancer belief it crashed again. I tried again it still crashed. Later, I am going to unistall and reinsatll the game. Something is screwed up there. This patch does not like DX11 at all.

We normally require service pack 3 with win XP, so you're living below min spec. But lets try some of the voodoo to start.

To begin, let's go into the civ 5 root directory and delete the wmv files, then go into the "assets/dlc/expansion directory, and delete those movie files. Start it up again and see if it helps.

I did that, didn't work.
Didn't know SP3 was needed. Ill just install that and see what happens. Presumably after that I'll be above the min specs, and everything will be just dandy, right?

Here is my DxDiag. Let me know if there is any problem. I just got done downloading the latest driver from the AMD site.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    31 KB · Views: 109
I just went to the AMD site to update my driver. We'll see if that solves the problem. Everything seemed ok. It went to the next turn then I clicked to enhance my religion. When I went to choose my enhancer belief it crashed again. I tried again it still crashed. Later, I am going to unistall and reinsatll the game. Something is screwed up there. This patch does not like DX11 at all.

Could you post a save that demonstrates the Enhancer crash, along with specific play-through instructions on the actions that you took?

Could you post a save that demonstrates the Enhancer crash, along with specific play-through instructions on the actions that you took?

Here is the save.

What I did was click on the the Great Prophet in my capital city. Then I clicked the Golden enhance religion icon to the right on the side of the screen. Next, in the religion interface. I could scroll through choices, and choose an enhancer/2nd follower belief. However, when I clicked on 'Enhance Religion', it froze and the game crashed.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0148 AD-0760.zip
    748.7 KB · Views: 94
That happened to me once prior to the patch, when I was using the 306.97 nVidia driver. My game crashed every two turns, and it happened several times on enhancing religion. But post-patch the new driver works well, if a bit slow. Nonetheless, thanks for the help Dennis and everyone!

Here is the save.

What I did was click on the the Great Prophet in my capital city. Then I clicked the Golden enhance religion icon to the right on the side of the screen. Next, in the religion interface. I could scroll through choices, and choose an enhancer/2nd follower belief. However, when I clicked on 'Enhance Religion', it froze and the game crashed.

This doesn't reproduce for me. Could you check your Civ V root directory for any .mdmp files that correspond to the date/time of the crash from this? If there is one there, please post it here. It will help the engineer zero in on it.

This doesn't reproduce for me. Could you check your Civ V root directory for any .mdmp files that correspond to the date/time of the crash from this? If there is one there, please post it here. It will help the engineer zero in on it.

Here it got past the enhance religion. Everything seemed fine and it crashed three turns later. Check this over.

Attachments

• civilizationv_dx11_341540_crash_2012_11_2T20_34_58C0.zip
    27.1 KB · Views: 76
I'm also having a problem with DirectX11. When I start a new game or try to load a game, after a few minutes my computer just randomly shuts down. I uploaded my Driver from AMD's website, but that didn't help. I've attached my DXDIAG file.

EDIT: It doesn't seem to be affected by how many turns I played or any specific events that took place. It seems more like a time issue. I started a game as a random civ while making dinner and I saw that I got India. I left the game sitting there while I cooked and I noticed after a few minutes that my computer was off.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    31.9 KB · Views: 77
I'm also having a problem with DirectX11. When I start a new game or try to load a game, after a few minutes my computer just randomly shuts down. I uploaded my Driver from AMD's website, but that didn't help. I've attached my DXDIAG file.

EDIT: It doesn't seem to be affected by how many turns I played or any specific events that took place. It seems more like a time issue. I started a game as a random civ while making dinner and I saw that I got India. I left the game sitting there while I cooked and I noticed after a few minutes that my computer was off.

If your computer is shutting down, I can make a *guess* that you might be overheating, but cannot be certain. Have you blown out your system in a while, particularly the video card?

If your computer is shutting down, I can make a *guess* that you might be overheating, but cannot be certain. Have you blown out your system in a while, particularly the video card?

No I haven't. I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

I experienced a similar problem as the OP - game shut down after selecting DX 10/11. Just updated my nvidia drivers via the Windows hardware manager, and now it works perfectly.

If by "blown out" you mean, literally, blasting air into it to clear out all the dust, I did that and it didn't seem to help. Unless "blown out" has some other meaning I'm not familiar with . . .

Twice now my computer crashed so hard while playing the game, I was forced to boot from a previous Restore Point. Is this a problem with the patch, or might my computer be too old to handle the game anymore?

Could you please check your Civ V root directory for .mdmp files? You should see some that correspond to the date/time of your crash. These would help engineering identify the problem.

Could you please check your Civ V root directory for .mdmp files? You should see some that correspond to the date/time of your crash. These would help engineering identify the problem.

Where would I find those? I'm in:

Computer > HP(C: ) > Program Files (x86) > Steam > steamapps > common > Sid Meier's Civilization V

But I don't know where to look for the .mdmp files.

This was in my Steam "dumps" folder, but it's only a .dmp file:

EDIT: I guess I can't upload it because it's an invalid file. It's listed as:

assert_steam.exe_20121103110135_1.dmp

Is that relevent?

Where would I find those? I'm in:

Computer > HP(C: ) > Program Files (x86) > Steam > steamapps > common > Sid Meier's Civilization V

But I don't know where to look for the .mdmp files.

This folder is correct. If you don't see any .mdmp files, thats okay, it just makes things easier for the engineers.

Top Bottom