Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

On the subject of forests, I noticed that you can get the 30-Hammer Forest-Chop Bonus even if the forest is outside the 20-square city radius!

Anybody know what the "Rules" are with respect to Forest-Chops? :)

As far as I can tell the closest city of yours gets it, the only qualification is that is has to be in your borders.

lost_civantares said:
As far as I can tell the closest city of yours gets it, the only qualification is that is has to be in your borders.

Not even that, you can chop forests in unclaimed land for shields, although there's probably a penalty. What's fun is when your culture pushes your borders beyond the usable radius of any of your cities and you can chop forests that are within the radius (but not yet the cultural borders due to your superior culture) of another civ's city.

.....And if there are 2 or more cities equidistant from the Forest, who gets the shields.....I mean hammers? :)

EMan said:
.....And if there are 2 or more cities equidistant from the Forest, who gets the shields.....I mean hammers? :)

it's probably something like this

1F5

where F is the forest being chopped and the numbers are the directions of the cities equidistant from the forest. Of course priority could go north or southeast and turn counterclockwise for all I know. Or it could go to the largest or smallest city, or the most or least cultured, or the one exerting most cultural influence on that specific square, or the one building a certain type of thing. But I suspect it's some variation of my little diagram.

As for why the hell they lost shields, why'd they drop the Great Wall? I bet with a game with such honored pedigree, the new guys look for ways to make it different even if they won't make it better. Although I have to admit losing distinct attack/defense strengths isn't as bad as I'd expected.

Civ 3 Chop-Order was:

XabcX
l 812d
k7F3e
j654f
XihgX

Where "1" was the most likely city to get the Chop-Bonus and "l" least likely. (Imagine my chart being turned 45 degrees to the right. "X" tiles are Not Applicable.)

Now, it seems cities could be 3+ squares away from the forest and still get the bonus. :)

EMan said:

If the forest is within the food-shield radius of both cities, you can control where the shields go, by making the forest show up in the city screen of that city.

Hi :)

What's the rule for/how can you find out the pecking order for each AI player's turn per round in a solo game? I presume the human player is always the first to take his turn before the AI players in the round, right?

Thanks

The human player is always first, and so in the event of a tie between you and the AI for wonder construction or anything similar it will always go in your favour. I'm not so sure how to find out the order of the AI though, except for simply observing the order in which their units move.

Thanks for the enlightenment a4phantom, DaviddesJ and toller pretzl. :thanx:

It seems that tree-chopping could be a high priority in the early game(?). :)

Thanks for that. Looking at the Foreign Advisor Relations screen, I suppose the clockwise order in which the AI civs occupy that screen indicates which is the next AI civ to play (as if they were all sitting round a poker table - although I can't remember reading that anywhere).

The order in which the AI's play might under certain circumstances be important, because suppose two (or more) AI's are working towards a World Wonder and are due to finish the work on the same round, then depending on the human player's current relationship with those AI's, play tactics for that human player might need to be adjusted accordingly, depending on which AI will complete the Wonder first. (I would like to know, via my spies and religious reconnaissance, whether a friend or foe was about to complete The Pentagon or The Internet, etc). :)

I need a good civ to start playing with

most of my cities say it is too crowded so i have mad faces how can i make more space for the people so it is not crowded or solve this problem and how to stop it fropm even starting

Cities recieve one point of unhappiness for every point of population, which is listed as "It's too crowded". This is there to restrict the growth of cities, and has to be compensated by the construction of happiness boosting buildings such as theatres and temples, acquisition of happiness resources such as dyes and gems, and various civic effects. There is no way to reduce the actual "It's too crowded" effect itself without reducing your cities population, since it is merely a catergory to ensure that cities are harder to keep happy as they beecome larger. Reducing your cities' population deliberately is damaging to your civilization and should never be done. The actual name given to this effect doesn't mean anything so they cannot in any sense be 'uncrowded'. One of the fundamental points of the game is to keep the happiness bonuses outweighing the happiness penalties from the city size, and other effects.

EMan: It seems that tree-chopping could be a high priority in the early game(?).

Brother, you ain't kiddin. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=144564

Drofd ==I need a good civ to start playing with==

I think the Spaniards are a good starter. Free mysticism gives you a good shot on founding Hinduism and/or Judaism, and starting out with fishing is great because workboats don't stunt growth like workers. Also, AI Isabella is a lousy neighbor.

Pretzel: If the forest is within the food-shield radius of both cities, you can control where the shields go, by making the forest show up in the city screen of that city.

Huh?

My farmed plain only yields 2 food instead of 3 after biology - Whats wrong?

Overcrowding works out to one point of unhappiness for every point of population over a number dependent on the difficulty level. Your first three people might be automatically happy (at Noble level you get +3 happy people per city), people 4-100 will need temples or luxaries or something to counter their default unhappiness, plus more if you have other factors making them unhappy (war, civics, vulnerability).

a4phantom said:
Just a bit of clarification, overcrowding is one point of unhappiness for every point of population over a number dependent on the difficulty level. Your first three people might be automatically happy, people 4-100 will need temples or luxaries or something to counter their default unhappiness.

Well, not really. There will always be exactly one :mad: face for every person in the city, but if you play on Noble difficulty, for example, you will recieve a difficulty level bonus of 3 :) faces.

Top Bottom