Great Library and rage quitting

Can anyone run me through how you get GL by turn 25?

Getting Pottery takes you to Turn 10, and Writing to turn 22 ish or so... How do you get the GL built so fast?

Even if you play Shoshone and select tech as your first bonus, you have to be luckly enough to get the right science tech and to do so just after you finish Pottery. Even then that leaves only 15 turns to build GL, which even with a Hill start and Salt is pushing it.

How? how could you possibly get it this fast?

It takes 7-10 to research pottery. It takes another 10-15 to research Writing. Then you have the build the thing... even assuming you can steal a worker this early in the game, you won't have any other techs to improve anything.

You can't possibly have any helpful policies by turn 25.

I don't understand how it would be mathematically possible to have the GL built by turn 25... doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Quick Speed against humans in multiplayer. Monument -> Worker -> Scout(Possibly) -> GL

Tech choices: Pottery -> Writing -> Mining -> Calendar -> Philo(FREE)

Policies: Open Tradition to snag productive tiles then to liberty for +1 hammer.

Use the worker to chop trees everywhere, work productive tiles most likely not growing past pop 3.

GL by turn 25 is average, turn 22 - 23 very possible with luck in ruins or land and or spawning on a hill.

FYI: Rushing GL is not recommended. Putting that production and those turns into developing infrastructure such as workers, granary, settlers etc.. Will lead to better long term results than rushing GL. If you go straight for Philo without GL while growing and developing the entire time you will hit a later tech like currency only 1 or 2 turns later than a GL rusher due to the opportunity cost to growth and infrastructure that rushing GL causes. In the long term your cap will always be bigger than the GL rusher throughout the entire game due to those lost turns of growth. Assuming both players have equal starting positions.

playing with humans I never even consider it,
considering it while playing with immortal+ AI is plain stupidness and a big gamble.

Oh wait, there's an option when I can probably consider it - free writing from ruins at exact timing.

playing with humans I never even consider it,
considering it while playing with immortal+ AI is plain stupidness and a big gamble.

Oh wait, there's an option when I can probably consider it - free writing from ruins at exact timing.

Yes, if you get free writing or pottery for free cutting it in half, you have a good shot at GL.

Same applies for getting mining or masonry for free. Go for Pyramids in that case.

Question here: if several AIs go for the same wonder and multiple AIs miss multiple wonders does this result in these AI civs falling far behind if all those hammers they produce end up wasted?
Has anyone observed this penalizing certain AIs

For the masochists who DO want to get TGL on Deity (it's fun to get just once, only to see how lackluster it ends up being in the longrun), here's a few ideas on how I was able to get it fairly reliably by ~T32 (standard), which is still a big gamble:

(I would never recommend these as viable strategies and you will still need a ton of luck, but it is very possible to get TGL on Deity by doing the following)

1) Lucky ruins on Pottery, Writing, or Mining. This is pretty obvious, but it's the biggest factor you have going, and you're hoping the AI didn't just get the same. I always played with them turned off on Deity since it's another huge lopsided adv. for the AI, who gets so many more starting units.

2) Choose one of the following:
Babylon - GS can actually give you 20 hammers for free by settling on forest. That can save 2 turns!
**Spain - King solomon's mines near start, discover for 500g, buy settler on turn ~7, and enjoy your free TGL.
Egypt - Can natively shave off 1-3 turns.
Boudica/Ethiopia - With a forest start, can get the 15% pantheon on turn 5. I cringe at this though.
Shoshone - choosing writing saves like 10 turns, can't shake a stick at that.

3) build order must absolutely include a worker first and monument second (to reach aristocracy), as well as teching/bulbing (i.e. lucky ruins) on Mining. Pre-chop for 2 turns each forest. You can shave off 6-8 turns to build. Waiting until ~t22 to worker steal just won't let you get enough pre-chop.

4) Lock food tiles but prefer production, the extra hammer will make the difference. And generally you'll need to reroll the map until you have hill start, plus two or three 3-food tiles like grass cow, oasis, etc., as well as some forest! The capital should be 4 pop, and when you reach Writing you will need to go into starvation, though possibly not if you have enough 1F2H tiles..

5) I should probably mention that your initial gold purchases will likely go toward buying tiles with forest so that when you do finally finish the pre-chop, you get the full 20 and not the paltry 13..

Good luck, godspeed.

Top Bottom